PDA

View Full Version : McAfee pop up

Binder
06-25-2011, 10:22 PM
I can't take it anymore .

Can somebody help me? Ever since I got my lap top . When I start it up after a few seconds I start getting pop up messages in the lower right hand corner. Asking me to activate McAfee . There are four pop up messages in all.
The first one ask me to activate McAfee then another then two more.I close then up but as soon as I push a key or move the mouse another message pops up till all 4 have popped up. Then they stop. Each message says my computer is at risk.They are not warnings that something is rotten in Totowa
They look more like ads for McAfee. I have webroot which Best Buy installed when the computer was new. Webroot seems to work well as the computer works great . Webroot
does its thing scanning and warning me. I have no complaints.
Is there a way I can stop those Mcafee popups ? To be honest, they have bothered me so much I just dont want to use McAfee out of spite
thanks
Bill

PaceAdvantage
06-25-2011, 10:29 PM
It sounds like your laptop came pre-installed with BLOATWARE (stuff you didn't ask for), and these are just nag messages to get you to install and/or pay for what they put on there...

Many tech savvy users immediately wipe the contents of such machines and re-install windows so that they have a totally clean machine to start with...

Bloatware sucks...

You can probably easily uninstall McAfee via Windows Control Panel/Programs and Features

GameTheory
06-26-2011, 12:06 AM
Yeah, McAfee sucks -- get rid of it. Ditto for Norton for those of you whose computer came with that...

headhawg
06-26-2011, 12:15 AM
An ez bloatware remover: PC Decrapifier (http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/)

Tom
06-26-2011, 10:53 AM
I cannot pass up a program named decrapifier! :D

Binder
06-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Everything is good now.
Thank you very much

Bill V