PDA

View Full Version : Brisbet kicking me off 5 0f 6 races today

CapperLou
11-08-2003, 02:51 PM
Brisbet cannot handle the volume of customers--I've been kicked off just before 5 of 6 races--absolutely sucks.

Stayed home today because its pouring in south florida--should have gone to Calder anyway. This is the pits!!

I'm finally headed to another site this Monday--cannot take this crap from brisbet anymore.

All the best,

CapperLou

cj
11-08-2003, 02:54 PM
Are you sure it is BRISBet? I've been with them 2+ years and have never been kicked off.

CapperLou
11-08-2003, 02:55 PM
I'm talking A/v here.

CapperLou

BillW
11-08-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by CapperLou
I'm talking A/v here.

CapperLou

CapperLou,

That could happen for any number of reasons including a worm hitting your ISP, or any of the 15 or 20 hops in between. BrisBet servers are only one link in the chain.

Bill

CapperLou
11-08-2003, 03:25 PM
The problem probably is that I don't have it on cable==it's on dial-up.
There is so much lightning here that every time it strikes here I lose the TV sets even with surge protectors. Comcast and FPL just pass the buck--they will not do anything to resolve the problem--so I cannot put the computer on cable. This summer I had 4 TV sets fried. AND, a year ago before I put the phone line on a belkin, the modem was ruined.
Oh well, nothing is perfect and I need to stop complaining and move forward.

All the best,

CapperLou

trying2win
11-08-2003, 05:17 PM
Capper Lou,

--I had a problem trying to access the audio/video, at the start of the Del Mar meet this year at their website. I kept getting an error message like:

--"The server has reached its capacity. Please try again later". I did try again later... many times for the rest of the first week of the meet.

--I then got the idea of sending an e-mail to the President and General Manager of Del Mar. He sent me a prompt and cordial reply stating he would try to resolve the problem. By golly, the problem was fixed in a short time. This Del Mar executive must have arranged with the internet video provider to increase server capacity. Great customer service! I was impressed.

--Why not try sending an e-mail to the President of Brisbet?. If they are conscious about good customer service, they won't use EXCUSITIS. That's a term David J. Schwartz (Not the famous PA member of Horsestreet.com fame) mentioned in his great book "The Magic of Thinking Big." David J. Schwartz said a person suffering from EXCUSITIS is a person of mediocre accomplishments, who is quick to explain why "THEY HAVEN'T", why "THEY DON'T", why "THEY CAN'T", and why "THEY AREN'T".

--Just as a last side note, I'd be willing to bet PA member, the inimitable Dave Schwartz, wouldn't use EXCUSITIS in dealing with his customers...right Dave?

Trying2win

JustRalph
11-08-2003, 09:44 PM
Lou

are you talking about a UPS or a flimsy "surge protector"?

you need a nice one of these:

http://www.microcenter.com/search_results_e.phtml?dropdown_method=keyword&dropdown_keyword=ups

CapperLou
11-08-2003, 09:53 PM
Surge protectors were the problem--there were none on the cables coming into the TV Sets.
Any suggestions on how to protect the cable coming in would be appreciated.
Brisbet simply does not have a large enough bandwidth to deal with the amount of requests on a busy day--and if you are on a dial-up, anyone with cable is going to get through and you will get booted off--with a message that server is too busy etc.
Thx for help.

All the best,

CapperLou

chrisg
11-08-2003, 11:24 PM
tryingtowin, I've been having a similar problem trying to view the Oak Tree meet. Most of the time Media Player gets the server full message so I switch to Real Player and comes in.

trying2win
11-08-2003, 11:58 PM
Chris,

--At least you were fortunate that you could get through to the Santa Anita live video, via the Real One player. Then you'd be able to hear Trevor Denman's distinct accent..."The hoesses have now reached the stawting gate."

--At present I only have Windows 98. So, for a Windows Media Player I'm stuck with mainly using version 7.1. Only problem is, that version doesn't work half the time. Would you believe...many error messages, static problems, cutting out problems etc?.

--Once in awhile, I switch back to Windows Media Player v 6.4. Only problem is when I try to watch live video of some horse races, sometime the video works, sometimes it doesn't.

--I haven't asked the PA members what they think about Windows Media Player version 9. It's the latest version for the more modern Windows operating systems. Would be interesting to hear their feedback. It's a pretty astute bunch here at the PA site. Very knowledgeable about many things, not just horse race handicapping.

--This may sound strange, but one of the better media players I ever used was the Yahoo Media Player. For some reason it was discontinued.

--Never did like the Quick Time media player.

--It would be nice if other media players were compatitable to watch the live racing videos with (like WinAmp for example), just in case the usual ones...i.e. Windows Media Player and Real One player were not working properly.

Good luck at the races,

Trying2win

cj
11-09-2003, 12:00 AM
I was having no problems with the WMP 9 until recently(I'm also using Windows 98). Now, for no apparent reason, I can't get any racing video anymore. Keep getting an error saying it can't connect...really weird!

Tom
11-09-2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
I was having no problems with the WMP 9 until recently(I'm also using Windows 98). Now, for no apparent reason, I can't get any racing video anymore. Keep getting an error saying it can't connect...really weird!

Same thing happened to me. Had to go back to WMP7 to get anything to work on my W98 machine.

kenwoodallpromos
11-09-2003, 12:57 AM
This is not a joke-- You can go to a thrift shop and buy a cheap color set with a cable connector just for use when there is lightining.

chrisg
11-09-2003, 04:01 AM
Guys I have windows98 AND the mediaplayer9. I basically had two tracks I would watch; both stored where it says "open URL" on the media player. Recently I noticed I couldn't get woodbine day after day, so I went to the woodbine site, copied the shortcut and pasted it (AGAIN) in the media player...viola it worked! I HAVE NO IDEA WHY. I'm obviously not computer savy, but isn't there something about keeping your links updated? like under favorites? but mediaplayer doesn't have this feature?

So I guess I'm saying try updating the link and to tryingtowin, I don't understand why you can't download the new version of media player?

Good luck with it though.

trying2win
11-09-2003, 04:36 AM
Chris,

That's a real mystery to me, how CJ, Tom, as well as you, can get the Windows Media Player 9 downloaded to your Windows 98 computers.

Whenever I try to download version 9, the download only goes so far, then an error message pops up telling you something like "This version of Windows Media Player can only be downloaded onto XP, Windows 2000, or Windows 98 SE"' etc."

Have you fellas got the Midas touch, and I got the Rodney Dangerfield "I don't get no respect" from Windows Media Player 9 downloads?

Trying2win

Thomason
11-10-2003, 12:25 PM
Lou,

My apologies in case you have already thought of this, but perhaps you should consider Dish TV. I am not a fan of ComCast either. Recently I purchased a dish, had it mounted on the roof and now I get a great picture, much better than the cable picture. I also get TVG with the 50 station package. It's much better watching the races on my television than on my computer monitor.

Michael

BETKING
11-10-2003, 03:05 PM
I am having the same problem with my older machine. I do have XP and I am hooked up to DSL. I still have trouble with BRISBET. My wife has a new computer with a lot of memory and 128 mb video card. When I have trouble, which is most of the time, I use her machine. The video on her computer is always perfect and smooth as silk. I think the key here is the 128 mb vedio card.

You might try a larger card and see if that helps. I don't think the trouble is with BRISBET.

BETKING

Niko
11-10-2003, 06:41 PM
I was having trouble with brisbet but it's been pretty good lately. I use a Mac (poorly supported by AmericaTAb and others) and e-mailed brisbet a couple times. A while back they upgraded their video and now I have access to it. They must have looked at all the money I was betting and figured that it would pay for itself (ha, ha) The video isn't as good as it was on my Windows because Microsoft doesn't want to spend the money to make an upgraded version of Media or Macs.
Why don't they offer two choices for bettors. Windows Media Player and Real Player. When Gulfstream and Santa Anita start I go directly through their links because I can use Real Player and get great pictures.
If the tracks website can do it, why can't Brisbet? Maybe I'll check out ExpressBet and see if they've gotten any better in the last 2 years. I could split my bets betweeen the 2 tracks to keep my free PP's.
Also had problems betting online on busy days, my computer would get hung up or it'd take 5 minutes to get one bet in. That's gotten a little better also. Now I just bet a little earlier on busy days and swear when the horses go below my odds cap.
Anyway, keep e-mailing horseracing sites and companies. Sometimes it actually works and a few people like Marc at DRF are listening and incrementally making their products better.