PDA

View Full Version : Richard Sasuly 1913-2011

MooseDog
06-24-2011, 10:59 PM
I work for a local Friends of the Library group. We occasionally do pickups of books and sometimes end up cleaning out estates of the recently deceased. While doing a pick up today I noticed a well-work Bay Meadows hat on the floor and I asked the relatives who were overseeing the estate if the man was a horse racing fan. They replied that he was a VERY big fan and frequent visitor to Bay Meadows.

After a bit of conversation they mentioned he wrote a book about racing. Turns out the estate was that of Richard Sasuly, who apparently made his living as a writer (loved history) but also penned two horse racing books:

In Search of the Winning Horse; and
Bookies and Bettors, Two Hundred Years of Gambling

I mentioned that I had read the first but not the 2nd, the the presented me with a copy of the 2nd one which I plan to start reading right away.

Anyway, I just thought I'd pass along this story. The family also gave me a picture of Mr Sasuly which I'd like to pass along.

Robert Goren
06-24-2011, 11:41 PM
You can get both books from Amazon. I think I read the first one a long time ago. The second sounds interesting. Let us know what you think when you are done.

Dan Montilion
06-25-2011, 03:20 PM
I was fortunate to have had many conversations with Mr. Sasuly. He would stop by my box in the Bay Meadows turf club on many occasions. I would ask him questions about the older handicapping books. He would quiz me about on-line handicapping stuff if you will. Mr. Sasuly was interviewed in many sections of History Of Gambling In America, seen on the history channel. The entire series is available on Youtube.

Moosedog, where can books you gather be purchased or loaned? I'm in Redwood City.

Dick Schmidt
06-25-2011, 06:14 PM
One of my favorite quotes. I liked it enough I put it in Pace Makes the Race.

Dick

No one has ever bet enough on a winning horse.

-Richard Sasuly

MooseDog
06-25-2011, 11:47 PM
Hi Dan -

I manage the Friends of the Palo Alto Library monthly book sales at the Cubberley Community Center in PA.

Next sale is July 9-10.

You'll remember me as Gary Peasley's underling selling the DRF in the BM Main entrance in the late 1980s after Jimmy Patterson quit.

Let me if you're looking for anything in particular.

Dan Montilion
06-28-2011, 01:36 PM
Hey Moosedog,

I'm sure I would recognize you face to face but having a hard time remembering.

In regards to the books, it would be any older handicapping books. Thanks for the offer. I know that is not specific but it is what I'm looking for. If you have the time that wold be great, if not I respect that also.

Thanks, Dan

toetoe
06-29-2011, 02:19 AM
That does not look like Bay Meadows. Anybody know where the photo was taken ? I guess it could be the clubhouse, which I visited very seldom.

tundral
06-29-2011, 08:49 PM
Nice story thanks