PDA

View Full Version : The Godfather of handicappers

Grits
06-24-2011, 02:58 PM
All business. No distractions. Wise man, he was.

http://www.drf.com/news/godfather-handicappers-pittsburg-phil-changed-game-forever

Phil was a man of temperate habits. He did not smoke, drink, stay up late, play cards, gamble (as he saw it), or bring women to the racetrack. At the races, he focused exclusively on his business, unwilling to entertain friendly conversation or take a drink at the bar. The reason is that, besides handicapping and observing the horses, he had to follow the betting ring, where a game of hide and seek went on.

offtrack
06-24-2011, 03:38 PM
He was a man born into the right time. He got to bet into a betting pool with a 5% take out, and fixed prices (no parimutual pools).

His book of racing axoms has always been a favorite of mine.

Robert Fischer
06-24-2011, 04:38 PM
a legend

Robert Goren
06-24-2011, 04:42 PM
He was a man born into the right time. He got to bet into a betting pool with a 5% take out, and fixed prices (no parimutual pools).

His book of racing axoms has always been a favorite of mine.Ah, those were the days. With a 5% takeout, the bettors would be coming out the woodwork. Too bad the people in charge don't see it that way.

Spiderman
06-24-2011, 05:08 PM
Diligence, patience and timing are still keys to winning at the races. Very good article. Will get to read the book, someday.

whodoyoulike
06-24-2011, 09:31 PM
Thank you for the link, I always thought he was a mythical character. I'm hoping DRF continues writing articles on the history of our sport.

Edward DeVere
06-24-2011, 10:27 PM
For those unaware, colinsghost.org is an excellent historical site, and you can read P. Phil's book online there.

whodoyoulike
06-25-2011, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the web site reference. I just spent the last hour or so reading various articles. Do you have any other site suggestions?

Grits
06-25-2011, 07:43 AM
For those unaware, colinsghost.org is an excellent historical site, and you can read P. Phil's book online there.

I didn't know of this site. Thanks E.DeV for the note. As Robert said, "a legend". Its amazing that one can, today, attribute what was the very beginning of charting race results to this man.

Spiderman
06-25-2011, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the website. Bookmarked it.

On Spec
06-25-2011, 11:37 AM

Another thanks for the website -- I was about to see if the book was online somewhere. Pittsburg Phil looks like someone to learn from.