PDA

View Full Version : PURGE EMAILS

HUSKER55
06-24-2011, 06:05 AM
Is it possible to purge emails from your computer. I have cable but even when I delete them I can still research deleted emails.

thanks

wilderness
06-24-2011, 08:44 AM
Husker,
You haven't provided what email software your using?
OR are you using none and using complete web access for your email (Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail or something else?)

HUSKER55
06-24-2011, 09:29 AM
I use roadrunner from time warner. if I use Outlook there is a way I can shred the emails. But not from roadrunner.

wilderness
06-24-2011, 10:59 AM
So I'm correct in assuming that your are NOT using any software at all, rather strictly online access/storage via web pages?

My primary email account is gmail (even though I've connection provider accounts that I use sparingly).

Previously there was a discussion which included this topic and I was "informed"
that I was a paranoid schizo.

One weekly (sometimes more depending upon my activity) I access my gmail accounts on the web (otherwise I use email software to send and receive; absent webs access, however gamail still retains copies of the sent and trashed folders), and manually delete the contents of those sent and trashed folders, as well as the spam folder.

When I first began doing this at gmail (and occasionally these days) a popup appeared on the gmail website, reminding me that unused (trash) data is automatically deleted after 30-days, and also reminding me of the available storage space of my account.
This popup (IMO) was an intrusion of privacy and their (gmail) monitoring of my activity. (It's been proven by webmasters that google monitors URL's in gmail accounts, and in some instances, spiders URL's on that same so-called-private reference.

Thus the only option you have with an online storage to manual and REGULAR deleting.

It may take a while for them to catch up and one of the reasons that deleted emails may still be viewable could be related to a failure to REFRESH your cached pages within your browser.

I strongly oppose using online web access accounts for storage of data (email or otherwise). However I'm just paranoid ;)

DJofSD
06-24-2011, 11:08 AM
Don, you are not paranoid. And any one that thinks you are is likely just whistling in the dark.

I view activity on this board and all email as basically open conversations that could reappear, be divulged and used by any one.

One of the quotes by one, M. Jagger, I like to use in this situation: it's all secrecy and no privacy.

wilderness
06-24-2011, 11:09 AM
From RR support page (http://www.support.com/email/isp/roadrunner)

How Do I Set Up My Roadrunner Email On An Email Client?
You can set up your Time Warner Cable (Roadrunner) account on any Email client, such as Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird, Apple Mail, and so on. Use the following information to set up the account:

Email address: username@<state>.rr.com
Incoming mail server (POP3): server.<state>.rr.com
Outgoing mail server (SMTP): server.<state>.rr.com
Username: your username
Password: your password

end of quote

Generally speaking, when this type of email access is utilized from an internet provider, there is not any online storage of email, however there may be something in the online settings which require configuration to eliminate this same storage.

You'll need to either speak with RR support or find another RR user that does not use their online email access.

Robert Goren
06-24-2011, 11:13 AM
The basic rule is once you put something out there through the internet it is always out there somewhere.

wilderness
06-24-2011, 11:30 AM
The basic rule is once you put something out there through the internet it is always out there somewhere.

Robert,
FWIW, I had two websites (of over 1,500 pages) that existed for eleven years. Many of those pages contained articles in 1,500 to 3,500 word count range, as well as accompanying images.

All that material is non-existent today, however that disappearance was configured into those web pages from their creation.

I'm sure there are some visitors that copy and saved "some" of those materials, however those are rare.

I was fortunate to comprehend in my early internet activities, that if you stumble across something on a website, you'd better save a copy, else it may not exist tomorrow.
This practice has paid off, again and again for valid references that no longer exist.

wilderness
06-24-2011, 11:34 AM
DJ,
There was a thread in the PA harness forum regarding the raised prices in hosting fees of simulcasting by the Meadowlands earlier this year.

I'm unable to provide how many harness racing industry people explained to me (privately) that they'd been lurking upon that thread and reading the material, without actually participating. Despite the fact that the PA harness forum is rather slow in activity ;)

wilderness
06-24-2011, 11:39 AM
I use roadrunner from time warner. if I use Outlook there is a way I can shred the emails. But not from roadrunner.

Of course there is Husker, however that is contrary to your initial inquiry.

"leave a copy on the server" +outlook (http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=%22leave+a+copy+on+the+server%22+%2Boutlook&aq=&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=68c0ff49d7f8fcb6&biw=1005&bih=513)

Robert Goren
06-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Robert,
FWIW, I had two websites (of over 1,500 pages) that existed for eleven years. Many of those pages contained articles in 1,500 to 3,500 word count range, as well as accompanying images.

All that material is non-existent today, however that disappearance was configured into those web pages from their creation.

I'm sure there are some visitors that copy and saved "some" of those materials, however those are rare.

I was fortunate to comprehend in my early internet activities, that if you stumble across something on a website, you'd better save a copy, else it may not exist tomorrow.
This practice has paid off, again and again for valid references that no longer exist.The government always find a way to find something when they want to badly enough. Although if something is old enough, everything that had it on it may have been junked, I just would not count on it.
But we are really talking about different things, aren't we? You are talking about finding things and I am talking about getting rid of things.

DJofSD
06-24-2011, 12:01 PM
Well, think about this: the government very likely is capturing everything that goes through every router and server that is managed by the companies that run the backbones.

wilderness
06-24-2011, 12:06 PM
But we are really talking about different things, aren't we? You are talking about finding things and I am talking about getting rid of things.

It's not so different Robert.

The abilities and the methods are in close proximity.

Perhaps my only dissatisfaction with the PA forums are the inability of users to go back and delete/remove old materials.

I've many old URL's to a domain name that has been taking over by pharmaceutical spammers.

wilderness
06-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Well, think about this: the government very likely is capturing everything that goes through every router and server that is managed by the companies that run the backbones.

DJ,
Although they may still be doing so on the "sly", there was a big stink about the govt. hooking directly into the ATT server backbone in Chicago and running their racks in a locked adjoining room within the same data center (interesting reading).
Believe the laws were changed afterwards.

DJofSD
06-24-2011, 12:25 PM
Don, yes, I am familiar with that incident.

Do you think anything actually changed? I don't.

wilderness
06-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Don, yes, I am familiar with that incident.

Do you think anything actually changed? I don't.

DJ,
I was recently separating the Class B ranges from the Class A of 164, to determine which Class B's were non-North American.

Some of those Class B's were registered to Homeland Security ;)

Over the years, and via website visitors logs, I've also seen Homeland Security IP ranges spidering web pages, which have offered no valid security risk, being primarily Standardbred materials, go figure ;)

DJofSD
06-24-2011, 12:58 PM
Regarding the spidering: in my mind it is not any different when a background check is performed. They use any references you provide as a starting point to find other people. Iterate. At some point the net cast will be large enough and there's no telling in advance where the trail will lead.