PDA

View Full Version : Andy Serling, do Belmont's listed post times really mean anything?

lansdale
06-22-2011, 05:35 PM
When I attempted to play the 7th at Belmont today, I found that the race had gone off 23 minutes before the listed time, and I was forced to conduct a mini-funeral for what would have been a very nice super. Although I know this sometimes happens on bad weather days, but it's pretty unusual in June. Also, an unusually large time gap. Any explanation for this, and more important, how often can NYRA players expect it to happen?

BTW, citing Andy is TIC, but I figure since he works there, he might have more of a clue about this situation than others.

Since I'm on this subject, I'd appreciate any feedback on tracks with questionable post times around the country. I know that at smaller tracks post times are often little more than guesswork, and I've sometimes been burned by speeded-up cards. If we could make a list of the worst offenders, it could be useful.

Cheers,

lansdale

fiveouttasix
06-22-2011, 05:40 PM
Threat of Thunderstorms in the area...Tom Durkin announced that the post times would be moved up throughout the day.

the little guy
06-22-2011, 05:43 PM
Repeated announcements were made in the beginning of the day that the races were being moved up in order to try to avoid anticipated late day thunderstorms. This change was made before the races started and we gave out the new post times on the Video feed. These new post times were also listed on the crawl, at the bottom of the screen, throughout the day. While ordinarily we stick to our scheduled post times, though the races can be delayed a few minutes some times due to extenuating circumstances ( inquiries, gate delays, etc. ), weather sometimes causes the races to be moved up, and this information is always given out clearly.

I am sorry if this inconvenienced you. You can also always PM me with any questions.

lansdale
06-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Threat of Thunderstorms in the area...Tom Durkin announced that the post times would be moved up throughout the day.

Thanks.

lansdale
06-22-2011, 07:43 PM
Repeated announcements were made in the beginning of the day that the races were being moved up in order to try to avoid anticipated late day thunderstorms. This change was made before the races started and we gave out the new post times on the Video feed. These new post times were also listed on the crawl, at the bottom of the screen, throughout the day. While ordinarily we stick to our scheduled post times, though the races can be delayed a few minutes some times due to extenuating circumstances ( inquiries, gate delays, etc. ), weather sometimes causes the races to be moved up, and this information is always given out clearly.

I am sorry if this inconvenienced you. You can also always PM me with any questions.

TLG,

Explanation much appreciated. Since this is a rare occurrence at NYRA tracks, it can take you by surprise.

As you say, this was mentioned on the video feed, but AFAIK, there is no mention of it on the NYRA website, or Equibase, where I usually check scratches. Would it be difficult to include this kind of information with the scratches when they're posted, if it's available at that time? As a spot player at multiple tracks, I don't think I'm alone in having time constraints on my ability to monitor multiple video feeds during the day, which this situation would have required. A website posting could easily avoid this problem.

BTW, since you're one of the the best players in the country, sorry to see you not posting here as often as in the past. Although, since you seem to be something of a magnet for attacks by the tinfoil-hat brigade, I guess I can understand.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

lansdale

InTheRiver68
06-22-2011, 09:41 PM
I didn't notice the post time shift either, until late in the day, but fortunately I wasn't betting Belmont today.

I must say, though, that Belmont (and NYRA overall) are *excellent* about their posts. What they put up is adhered to as strictly as any track I can think of, and if they get off track, they have a very specific protocol for getting back to their scheduled posts. I love them.

- InTheRiver68

PaceAdvantage
06-23-2011, 02:39 AM
I must say, though, that Belmont (and NYRA overall) are *excellent* about their posts.You can say that again...

the little guy
06-23-2011, 11:02 AM
Same weather situation as yesterday. Post times will mirror yesterday, with roughly 28 minutes between races, and last post at 4:45.

Robert Goren
06-23-2011, 12:29 PM
Same weather situation as yesterday. Post times will mirror yesterday, with roughly 28 minutes between races, and last post at 4:45. Thank you for posting that.

JimG
06-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Same weather situation as yesterday. Post times will mirror yesterday, with roughly 28 minutes between races, and last post at 4:45.

Andy,

Thank you for the update. Always enjoy listening to your analysis when playing NYRA. I wish Belmont and other tracks would have quicker post times on a more permanent basis. I do believe the "drag" between races is a turn off for new and casual fans of the sport.

Jim

Linny
06-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Capital OTB made several mentions of the shift during the day and also posted it on their FB page.
It does catch alot of people off guard but it's preferable to losing late day grass races (P6 and P4 components) because of weather.

lansdale
06-23-2011, 04:28 PM

Appreciated this heads-up.

toetoe
06-24-2011, 11:07 AM
I was forced to conduct a mini-funeral for what would have been a very nice super.

Admiral Lansdale, I have a boilerplate layout for "ticket funerals." [ :lol: ]

* Burn tickets, or paper representing same, in metal trash can.

* Look into mirror and yell, "The power of Crist compels you."

* Chant, "Go Baby Go."

* Console self with this thought: "I could have the life of one of those TVG guys."

Robert Goren
06-24-2011, 11:24 AM
I understand why Belmont did it, But.... It is like a city bus driver once told me. " Being behind schedule will get you a reprimand, being ahead schedule will get you fired." For the bettor running late is pain in the butt, but running early either costs or saves the bettor money.

the little guy
06-24-2011, 11:46 AM
Same accelerated posts today....28 minutes between races with 4:45 the last post.

PhantomOnTour
06-24-2011, 11:52 AM
If you haven't caught on to the accelerated post times in NY the last few days (they've been screaming it from the rafters practically) there's nothing i can do for you. Pay attention, man.
I'd rather speed up my 'capping for a 12 horse turf race than have to cap a scratch reduced field of 6.

Linny
06-24-2011, 03:07 PM
It's been fairly common practice at NYRA for several years to speed up the card when poor weather is expected. It happenes summer and winter. One day a couple of winters ago they ran 9 on the Inner and were done by about 3:30.

Now that they don't have the encumberance of the detention rule, they can move alone as fast as they please.

castaway01
06-24-2011, 03:14 PM
Afternoon thunderstorms (and even damaging winds and mini-tornadoes) have been around the past three or four days. While it's inconvenient, there's not much you can do about it. I don't blame NYRA for trying to get through the card; it's just logical.