PDA

View Full Version : Can you help with this printing problem?

trying2win
06-22-2011, 04:17 PM
My Canon Pixma IP 2600 series ink jet printer, has been working fairly well since i bought it about a year and a half ago. I've had minor problems at times, such as when ink nozzles got clogged with ink and no ink would flow out. I managed to clean the cartridge head okay to get the ink flowing again on those occasions.

This time the problem is that when I try to make a print, I can hear the usual whirring sound of the rollers inside, then the amber warning light starts flashing 7 times followed by the green light, then the lights repeat the pattern. One error message reads:

--'AN INK CARTRIDGE IS NOT INSTALLED PROPERLY.'

...another error message reads:

--"AN INK CARTRIDGE CANNOT BE RECOGNIZED'

I tried shutting off the power, removing all the printer plugs and then cleaning the ink cartridge head, and cleaning the used ink sponge seat inside the printer as well.

The strange thing about those error messages listed above is, that I've been using the same compatible reconstructed black ink cartridge, and been refilling it for a couple of years now I believe. And there few problems in printing various items. Now all of a sudden I get these printer error messages. Very frustrating to say the least!

In your experience do the printing errors indicate that the print head has worn out, and I just need to replace the black ink jet cartridge with a new one? I would hate to spend 30 or 40 dollars on a new cartridge only to find that wouldn't solve the printing problem.

Thank you for your interest and input if you can help me solve this printing problem.

T2W

Canarsie
06-22-2011, 05:21 PM
Try this:

go to the printers and Faxes option in windows or printers under control panel!Click on it and a window with all the installed printers will be displayed!RIGHT click on the ip2600 picture and scroll down to properties!Click on that and it opens a window with a general,sharing,advanced tabs on top,Go to maintenance and click on it!Under maintenance you will find a reset ink counter button,Click on it and it will be reset to full!!

Or go here

http://www.fixya.com/search/p922048-canon_pixma_ip2600_photo_printer_inkjet/ink_level_reset

Hope this helps

bigmack
06-22-2011, 05:33 PM
$14 @ Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PG-210-Black-Cartridge-2974B001/dp/tags-on-product/B001DJ6CD6

trying2win
06-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Try this:

go to the printers and Faxes option in windows or printers under control panel!Click on it and a window with all the installed printers will be displayed!RIGHT click on the ip2600 picture and scroll down to properties!Click on that and it opens a window with a general,sharing,advanced tabs on top,Go to maintenance and click on it!Under maintenance you will find a reset ink counter button,Click on it and it will be reset to full!!

Or go here

http://www.fixya.com/search/p922048-canon_pixma_ip2600_photo_printer_inkjet/ink_level_reset

Hope this helps

Canarsie:

I don't see any 'RESET INK COUNTER' button under the MAINTENANCE tab. There is a 'INK CARTRIDGE SETTINGS' button though. I've tinkered with the options under the 'ICS' button to no avail lately.

I checked out the posts at the other link you gave me, but I don't quite follow what they're getting at with respect to 'INK LEVEL INDICATORS'. I haven't been able to find any 'INK LEVEL INDICATORS'.

Thanks,

T2W

trying2win
06-22-2011, 06:16 PM
$14 @ Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PG-210-Black-Cartridge-2974B001/dp/tags-on-product/B001DJ6CD6

BIG MACK:

Thanks for the tip. It's not the correct type of ink jet cartridge for the printer I have. Great price though. Even if it was the correct type, we have a mail strike on here in Canada right now. The postal workers need to 'GET REAL' in this world of changing technology, emails, online banking etc. Shall I send their union an email to remind them of that? I know...the mail strike scenario belongs in the OFF TOPIC section!

T2W
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
~"In a time of drastic change it is the learners who inherit the future. The learned usually find themselves equipped to live in a world that no longer exists."

--Eric Hoffer

trying2win
06-22-2011, 06:48 PM
I think I made a bit of a breakthrough on the printing problem. Just on a hunch, I inserted an old dried out suitable cartridge type in the printer. After the initial sound of the rollers moving, the green light stayed on. Didn't get a print of course, but at least since the amber warning light isn't flashing anymore, I'll have to assume the problem is with the previous cartridge somehow. I guess it's time to go out and buy a new cartridge, and go from there.

T2W

trying2win
06-23-2011, 12:05 AM
Hooray! I went out and bought a new Canon PG-30 black ink cartridge, and that did the trick! My printer is now working again properly.

You'd think that Canon's computer geeks with all their knowledge, would program a more accurate error message such as "Print head on the cartridge likely worn out, please replace it with a new one", instead of the one they displayed about the cartridge being installed incorrectly. Same goes for the so-called computer experts at Microsoft. Most of the advice I sought from them online for computer problems in the past has led nowhere. The computer experts here at PACE ADVANTAGE are the best! They've helped me solve many computer problems in the past from their tips. Thank you again to all who've helped me in that regard in the past.

Oh well...I just added to my knowledge base on how to proceed if a similar printer problem should arise in the future. I hope this thread will help others too here at the PACE ADVANTAGE site some day.

T2W

wilderness
06-23-2011, 07:46 AM
You'd think that Canon's computer geeks with all their knowledge, would program a more accurate error message such as "Print head on the cartridge likely worn out, please replace it with a new one",

FWIW, nearly every Inkjet printer I've seen provides an explanation that refilled or generic name cartridges should NOT be used.
When one chooses these later options, problems will eventually occur.

trying2win
06-23-2011, 04:07 PM
FWIW, nearly every Inkjet printer I've seen provides an explanation that refilled or generic name cartridges should NOT be used.
When one chooses these later options, problems will eventually occur.

Wilderness:

I respectively disagree with your last sentence. Problems will eventually occur with using brand name cartridge too. For example, print heads on the brand name cartridges will wear out as well eventually.

On the less expensive, reconstucted ink jet cartridge that I just replaced, I had been refilling it with ink for quite awhile with no major problems. Maybe a year, to a year and a half I'd guess.

T2W