PDA

View Full Version : Do you need volume (hear racecall) to make your day at the track enjoyable?

Zippy Chippy
06-21-2011, 06:00 PM
Everytime I'm at the track I have my own tv. I love the racecalls. Makes it more exciting. Today at plainridge I decided to sit at the bar. They have a nice bar with every track on tvs. The only catch is you won't hear any volume, in fact they even had country music playing. After an hour I couldn't take it and had to go upstairs to get my own tv and volume. Does anyone else have to hear the calls or are you satisfied on mute?

Zenyatta To Crush
06-21-2011, 07:03 PM
Although some announcers annoy the heck out of me, I'd much rather hear the race calls. I was at Canterbury Park on Belmont Day and the undercard races weren't very exciting at all since they were all on mute. Then, I rewatched the races later with the race call and they seemed much more exciting to me.

Track Collector
06-21-2011, 07:08 PM
I prefer the "Mute" option when watching a race on television. The only exception is some of the big races (like the Kentucky Derby) where it is difficult to see the saddlecloth numbers, or they are not posted very accurately on the screen, and I need the announcer's voice to tell where the horse I am interested at is.

Overlay
06-21-2011, 07:14 PM
As far as live racing goes, if a track announcer were an essential, Keeneland wouldn't have stayed in business very long at all. They didn't get one until 1997.

Mailman
06-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Zippy
I like sitting at the bar for the live racing at Plainridge, short walk outside for watching, other than that id rather go to teletheater for simos.
Mailman

hugh
06-21-2011, 08:43 PM
When I first started the computer I was using came sans a working sound card so I just got used to no volume. Still listen to races that way.

BlueShoe
06-21-2011, 08:51 PM
Definitely prefer the audio, it enhances the experience. However, unless you are at live racing at the track, other irritations could arise. At many otb facilities sets are either too loud or not loud enough, with indifference from employees as to adjusting the volume. Climb up on a chair to do it yourself gets you a severe scolding from security or even kicked out. If they are available, getting an indivual set a big plus. If not,?? In my experience the Nevada racebooks usually do a good job on audio, much better than the otb sites.