PDA

View Full Version : College Age Daughters

sonnyp
06-20-2011, 07:58 PM
natalle hollaway in aruba, now this girl in indiana. if you're a parent with a daughter of college age, isn't it your number one job to impress upon them that NOTHING good can happen to them walking around a 3 AM so drunk they can't talk.

i continue to see these griefstricken sets of parents, desperately begging for information on missing daughters and my heart goes out to them. this has got to be one of the worst feelings to ever experience. i have to ask, though, has all common sense been abandoned in these cases ? do they believe they are immune from foul play and what would make them put themselves in the position for these tragedies to happen to them ?

all it takes is one mistake and they're gone forever.

JustRalph
06-20-2011, 08:33 PM
I have a kind of god daughter that is 19 and in College. She travels two hours away to school and checks in via twitter on her phone etc. It's a neat way of keeping track of her.

I still worry about her. Her parents and I both follow her tweets etc. When she doesn't check in, or tweets something a little askew, I tweet a direct message to her to make sure she is alright. She usually answers within a few minutes because her phone gets the tweet right away. We have a duress word that she can type directly into a tweet if she is ever in trouble.

It's a brand new world............

MONEY
06-20-2011, 09:00 PM
They are going to do what they want, no matter how well you teach them common sense.

I have a college age daughter that I raised on my own.
She moved away from home, but I pay most of her bills.
I taught her everything that I know about internet predators, sex offenders & the wheres/whens about avoiding places & people.
She has never drank or used drugs.

At this moment she is driving from Florida to Delaware to pick up a jobless BOYFRIEND that she met on the internet 3 months ago.http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j244/Simulcaster/homer.jpg

sonnyp
06-20-2011, 09:04 PM
They are going to do what they want, no matter how well you teach them common sense.

I taught her everything that I know about internet predators, sex offenders & the wheres/whens about avoiding places & people.

At this moment she is driving from Florida to Delaware to pick up a jobless BOYFRIEND that she met on the internet 3 months ago.http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j244/Simulcaster/homer.jpg

scary !

JustRalph
06-20-2011, 09:21 PM

make sure her phone has location tracking turned on .

bobbyb
06-20-2011, 09:23 PM
Money,
My heart goes out to you. I truly hope all goes well for your daughter. It is next to impossible overiding our children, when there peers seem to have all the answers. Sometimes, I have such an empty useless feeling
bobby

Tom
06-20-2011, 09:49 PM
I have a kind of god daughter that is 19 and in College. She travels two hours away to school and checks in via twitter on her phone etc. It's a neat way of keeping track of her.

I still worry about her. Her parents and I both follow her tweets etc. When she doesn't check in, or tweets something a little askew, I tweet a direct message to her to make sure she is alright. She usually answers within a few minutes because her phone gets the tweet right away. We have a duress word that she can type directly into a tweet if she is ever in trouble.

It's a brand new world............

That is a good use of technology.....good for her she has people on the other end who care! :ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

MONEY
06-20-2011, 10:30 PM
scary !
Yes very scary.
make sure her phone has location tracking turned on .
Done. Thanks
Money,
Sometimes, I have such an empty useless feeling
bobby
Me too.

bigmack
06-20-2011, 10:37 PM
FAR too easy to get paranoid about such stories. They've always been around.

Due diligence and common sense avoid most. Some are going to happen no matter what levels of security.

Tweeting kids after they post an unusual tweet seems a bit rash.

I'm trying to think if 'tweet' was around when I was 19, and I knew my Pops & Uncle were privy to my 'tweetie little world, if I would tweet at all.

Chances are not bloody likely.

toetoe
06-21-2011, 01:24 AM
I agree with Mack that it's rarer than the newsreaders would have us believe. I'm not scolding folks for worrying --- it's what we do. However, more useful than any superphone or gated community is a healthy brain well used [I'm still perfecting the use of my own]. :)

nijinski
06-21-2011, 07:05 AM

Some college age girls are very responsible but many are not and are still
immature . If you bought her the car and you are helping to fund her , there
is every reason then to still guide her .
If that was my daughter I'd take the car back until she comes to her senses.

Did alot of tough love actions on my own daughters when they were still teens and they appreciate it now but they were not happy at the time.
My actions came from my own scary experiences as a female teen.

JustRalph
06-21-2011, 10:34 AM
I'm trying to think if 'tweet' was around when I was 19, and I knew my Pops & Uncle were privy to my 'tweetie little world, if I would tweet at all.

Chances are not bloody likely.

Mack, you are aware that you can have more than one Twitter Account, right?