PDA

View Full Version : WOW! Hard to believe

highnote
06-20-2011, 05:19 PM
Not sure what to think of this... except that it seems like a terrible idea...

Cedar Rapids, Iowa govenment wants all commercial businesses to put keys in lock box so emergency responders can have access. Yeah -- like that won't be abused.

lgfo52ucgjU

Stevecsd
06-20-2011, 05:22 PM
The YOUTUBE Links don't work

highnote
06-20-2011, 05:34 PM
The youtube link works

JustRalph
06-20-2011, 09:01 PM
Not sure what to think of this... except that it seems like a terrible idea...

Cedar Rapids, Iowa govenment wants all commercial businesses to put keys in lock box so emergency responders can have access. Yeah -- like that won't be abused.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgfo52ucgjU&feature=share

This has been going on for 30 years. Never any real problem.

highnote
06-21-2011, 02:55 PM

Really? This is the first time I've ever heard of a local government passing legislation telling owners of businesses they have to give them keys to their offices.

How long before a local government passes a law saying residents have to give emergency responders a key to their houses?

highnote
06-21-2011, 03:01 PM
What's that old saying by Ben Franklin or one of the other founding fathers?...

Something like:

"Those who would give up freedom for security, deserve neither."

mostpost
06-21-2011, 04:28 PM

The way I look at it, if I owned a business and there was a problem inside, would I rather the police or fire department use a key or an ax to get inside.

BTW many apartment buildings have the same type of lockbox which the Post Office uses to get inside the building.

JustRalph
06-21-2011, 04:33 PM
Back in the early 80's I was a police officer in California. Before you could install a burglar alarm you had to sign a form that you had installed your lock box for the Fire Department. The permit for your alarm (15 bucks a year if my memory serves me) covered the Fire Inspector coming out and checking on the "knock box" we called them. The Fire guy would drive by, make sure the box was up to code/ordnance and sign off so you could get your alarm permit. This was on businesses only.

If you didn't have an alarm permit and your alarm went off you got a ticket for 45 bucks. If you had an alarm and a knock box, the alarm goes off and you got 4 freebies before you got a ticket. On the 4th alarm the cops might hit the "knock box" to enter the building. Then you got your ticket and you had to put a new door on your lock box. It was actually a fire code requirement. I saw many knock boxes get used to enter a building instead of a fireman whacking a window or door with axes. See link:

http://www.knoxbox.com/store/Knox-Box-3200-Series.cfm

NTZwanibcxE

highnote
06-21-2011, 05:57 PM
Maybe Iowa is just 30 years behind the times? That wouldn't be too surprising. :D

Robert Goren
06-21-2011, 06:58 PM
My apt building has a door code to get in. The fire dept has the code, I know because I have had a medical emergency and they got in. The USPS has it too. So does Fedex and UPS. The Cops probably have it too. I don't care as long as the winos don't. I don't like finding someone sleeping in the hall way.

chrisl
06-21-2011, 10:58 PM
I have been a Supt on all sorts of projects from malls to major stores. We have always installed Knox boxes to the facility and the individual stores. This is done on the final walk through with the city/county and fire. To get the C.O (certificate of occupancy) for the business to open...Chrisl

highnote
06-22-2011, 12:21 AM
OK. So if this is so common then why are the citizens of Cedar Rapids, Iowa so upset?

mostpost
06-22-2011, 12:44 AM
OK. So if this is so common then why are the citizens of Cedar Rapids, Iowa so upset?

You don't see how many people spoke up to say, "This is a good idea." The video was obviously edited to show only negative comments. There are five people commenting negatively.

mostpost
06-22-2011, 01:07 AM
You don't see how many people spoke up to say, "This is a good idea." The video was obviously edited to show only negative comments. There are five people commenting negatively.

On June 13 they had the final reading and passed the ordinance. JR thinks it's OK. Who am I to argue with him.

Above I was wondering how many citizens spoke in favor of the ordinance. I'm thinking not many. They would feel there is no need. Most folks would think this is a good idea, No one with any sense would oppose this. Apparently Cedar Rapids has several people with no sense.

Didn't the lady in red look like the lady that told John McCain that Obama was a Muslim? :lol:

benzer
06-22-2011, 01:15 AM
Privacy. While the box is probably good to gain access for apt buildings and malls, the people in the video expressed concern that it might lead to a key box on their private residence, or business.

That is a real concern. I know people that live in government housing, they have to deal with someone coming into their place when they are not home for all kinds of reasons.

So my answer to the question is: Privacy

benzer
06-22-2011, 01:23 AM
On June 13 they had the final reading and passed the ordinance. JR thinks it's OK. Who am I to argue with him.

Above I was wondering how many citizens spoke in favor of the ordinance. I'm thinking not many. They would feel there is no need. Most folks would think this is a good idea, No one with any sense would oppose this. Apparently Cedar Rapids has several people with no sense.

Didn't the lady in red look like the lady that told John McCain that Obama was a Muslim? :lol:
Bring this topic back to McCain, Obama and Muslims, man you are pathetic.

highnote
06-22-2011, 01:39 AM
Privacy. While the box is probably good to gain access for apt buildings and malls, the people in the video expressed concern that it might lead to a key box on their private residence, or business.

That is a real concern. I know people that live in government housing, they have to deal with someone coming into their place when they are not home for all kinds of reasons.

So my answer to the question is: Privacy

If the key in the lockbox is universal and can open anyone's apartment door, I have a big problem with that -- especially if I was a Cedar Rapids taxpayer.

Let's say an unscrupulous firefighter, policeman or other emergency responder has access to the keys and uses the access to commit a crime.

Well, first of all, we know that their are no unscrupulous employees :rolleyes: ... but, hypothetically, let's say there are. So a crime is committed by someone with access to the universal key. Who is liable? This city? The building's owner? Let's say the city is liable -- that means the taxpayers pick up the tab.

Now, I can see a responder being allowed into say the lobby of a building and perhaps into a secure area where the fire alarm is located, but I don't think they need access to the whole building.

For 150 years Cedar Rapids has not had universal keys available to emergency responders and they seem to have done fine. Why give up the freedom for some questionable security?

benzer
06-22-2011, 01:50 AM
If the key in the lockbox is universal and can open anyone's apartment door, I have a big problem with that -- especially if I was a Cedar Rapids taxpayer.

Let's say an unscrupulous firefighter, policeman or other emergency responder has access to the keys and uses the access to commit a crime.

Well, first of all, we know that their are no unscrupulous employees :rolleyes: ... but, hypothetically, let's say there are. So a crime is committed by someone with access to the universal key. Who is liable? This city? The building's owner? Let's say the city is liable -- that means the taxpayers pick up the tab.

Now, I can see a responder being allowed into say the lobby of a building and perhaps into a secure area where the fire alarm is located, but I don't think they need access to the whole building.

For 150 years Cedar Rapids has not had universal keys available to emergency responders and they seem to have done fine. Why give up the freedom for some questionable security?
I agree, I don't think giving up any freedom for supposed extra security is worth it. If I lived in Cedar Rapids I would have opposed this.

mostpost
06-22-2011, 01:13 PM
Bring this topic back to McCain, Obama and Muslims, man you are pathetic.
Are there elves in your backyard? Talk about seeing something that's not there.
I think the lady in red looked like that lady at the McCain rally. I was not connecting lock boxes to Al Qaeda. That is the job of Andrew Breibart.