PDA

View Full Version : What tracks do you avoid betting at and why?

Scottishracefan
06-19-2011, 02:58 PM
Here in the Uk i NEVER bet at WOLVERHAMPTON,LINGFIELD or SOUTHWELL,strange betting markets and form!!!!

toussaud
06-19-2011, 03:02 PM
suffolk downs - just can't get a handle on it
portland meadows - had some bad experience
turfway - don't know why really. just don't play it
hawthorne - again, no real reason why i just don't particuarly care for the track

with that said, 90% of the tracks out there get about 5% of my business, the VAST majority of my money goes to socal tracks

Scottishracefan
06-19-2011, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the reply buddy,what would you say were ''dodgy''track and are best avoided????

toussaud
06-19-2011, 03:38 PM
without question penn national.

Scottishracefan
06-19-2011, 03:39 PM
please do tell...

point given
06-19-2011, 08:59 PM
Belmont - due to turf sprints
Cal - due to short fields and poly at Holly Delmar
CD - due to dislike of race caller

Vinman
06-19-2011, 10:43 PM
My #1 "avoid" track for decades has been Oaklawn......Horses shipping in from all over the place for a meet of relatively short duration....track conditions tend to be awful (frozen, with cancellations galore) early in the meet....no turf racing.....and a highly unimaginative betting menu. Why bother with OP when you can play Gulfstream and Tampa with their 50 cent minimums?

But there is another relatively new track that I won't bet a cent on. Possibly the most useless track of all is Presque Isle Downs, which, in return for reducing the field sizes of other tracks, offers teeny weeny betting pools, a crummy wagering menu and of course, the "grand theft" mutuel take on exotics brought to you by the great commonwealth of PA. Oh, did I forget to mention the "synth" word? Aside from slots fueled purses being pocketed by the owners & the trainers & jocks getting their cut, this track offers nothing to the bettor.....zero.

Vinman

Shelby
06-20-2011, 12:13 AM
Woodbine. It hates me.

captainhot
06-20-2011, 12:18 AM
1, Mountaineer-----seems like there's always a horse 1-5, it's muddy more often than not, and the horses seem to run against each other over and over.
2, Northern California-----Short fields, Tapeta.
3, Prairie Meadows-----For some reason I'm incapable of picking winners at this track.
4, River Downs-----I love Thistle, I hate River Downs, not sure why.

Tracks that I used to not bet, that I have done much better at.

1, Turfway and Arlington-----Maybe I'm finally getting a grasp on synthetic tracks. I had a very good Winter at Turfway, and I have done very well betting inside speed at Arlington this year.

lamboguy
06-20-2011, 12:47 AM
i like every track especially the northwest canadien tracks, nothlands, hastings, assinoboya. my reasoning for that is they have plenty of races where horses are not entered in their best condition.. what i am finding is every track has its own individuality which means you have to be able to anticipate what type of strategy the trainers and jockeys have going into a race. when someone says that woodbine hates them, that person is probably right because you have to be able to figure out intent. for what its worth, i am lost at woodbine. i used to call the clockers there to ask how the track is playing in the morning, and by the afternoon it plays complely opposite.so i would say that woodbine is my least favorite.

Stillriledup
06-20-2011, 01:09 AM
Out of the major tracks, i avoid Arlington main track races. I would consider betting their turf races, but the main track is too hard if you're not an 'expert' on the circuit.

I also avoid the texas tracks because i just dont have any 'feel' for their races.

I don't bet midwestern tracks like Prairie, Canterbury, Oaklawn,etc. Nothing wrong with their product per se, its just a numbers game, there's only so many tracks you can keep an eye on.

Turf Paradise is another track i used to play until their stewards just got in the way too much, they disqualified me on Twice The Appeal in a mini in March/April and i gave up watching their races at that point. Nonsense DQ cost them a good customer.

menifee
06-20-2011, 01:42 AM
Arlington main track - I'd be better off throwing darts. The Poly has ruined racing and handicapping there on the main track.

Calder - I have a difficult time on this track. Nothing run with the product, but have a difficult time picking winners there.

Penn National/Presque Isle - takeouts are absurd.

Fingerlakes/Suffolk - Fields are too short recently - no value.

New Mexico tracks - Product is ok, but the pools are too small. You hit a nice trifecta or superfecta, you can take out the pool.

Robert Goren
06-20-2011, 08:34 AM
I am looking at something right now, so only tracks with very limited handles are off limits. But generally I avoid tracks that run at night or who try to capitalize on monday and tuesdays. I am not to fond of 3 day-a-week tracks either. Although I have nothing against the track itself, CD's announcer drives me up the wall, so it would be on the list too.

toussaud
06-20-2011, 08:45 AM
i forgot to add golden gate fields. i just can't do tapeta. that's the only surface in america i refuse to play.

ldiatone
06-20-2011, 10:43 AM
My #1 "avoid" track for decades has been Oaklawn......Horses shipping in from all over the place for a meet of relatively short duration....track conditions tend to be awful (frozen, with cancellations galore) early in the meet....no turf racing.....and a highly unimaginative betting menu. Why bother with OP when you can play Gulfstream and Tampa with their 50 cent minimums?

But there is another relatively new track that I won't bet a cent on. Possibly the most useless track of all is Presque Isle Downs, which, in return for reducing the field sizes of other tracks, offers teeny weeny betting pools, a crummy wagering menu and of course, the "grand theft" mutuel take on exotics brought to you by the great commonwealth of PA. Oh, did I forget to mention the "synth" word? Aside from slots fueled purses being pocketed by the owners & the trainers & jocks getting their cut, this track offers nothing to the bettor.....zero.

Vinman
good points about PID as i agree with you

point given
06-20-2011, 11:29 AM
Curiously not one person yet mentioned Keeneland. While many exclude synth tracks, myself included, keeneland is the only one i will dabble in.

Tom
06-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Keeneland - turf only, dirt or poly = horrible track!
Churchill - Mark Johnson
Gulfstream - time are not reliable
Calder - Holy Cow, it would be cheaper to just throw money on the ground
California tracks - because they are California tracks.

toussaud
06-20-2011, 03:23 PM
you can add parx to that list today lol. damnit i tried.