PDA

View Full Version : Ascot Saturday

OTM Al
06-18-2011, 09:13 AM
One last shot at it. First looks a little tough so think I'll lay out. Am liking Campanologist in the second. The favorite is in sharp form, but this is a step up in class that Campanologist has succeeded at.

gm10
06-18-2011, 09:30 AM
Yesterday was a bit of a funny day. There were four races that were won by a horse closing fast from the back. Not only is this is unsual on soft ground, it's not certainly your typical day at Ascot which is a stiff, gallopping track.
Looking at the replays, it's very clear what happened. Those four winners all relied on the middle part of the race course, in other words the middle strip was the fastest part of the race course. (The two other races were longer races and the horses formed a line, so they didn't use the middle part).

I am not sure what to expect tomorrow. The entire course is probably cut up after today, and it's been raining here all day. Maybe it will be as straightforward as being up with the pace tomorrow.

Race 1 (Chesham Stakes, Listed): Not sure about the favourite, so I will take the Godolphin filly Falls Of Lora 5/1. Polydamos will run well and is 20/1.

Race 2 (Hardwicke Stakes, G2): Await The Dawn is a short favourite and I can see why but I think there is a great win bet in here. Calvados Blues at 12/1.

Race 3 (Golden Jubile Stakes, G1): Not the highest quality but still a fascinating race. It looks like the pace is drawn in the high stalls, so I suspect the whole field will come stands' side, which has appeared quicker on Friday anyway. Hooray could be the exception and she could race alone on the far side. At 14/1, that is worth keeping in mind. Anyhow, I think the winner will come from the top half of the draw. I never liked Delegator much, though he is a danger. Star Witness ran on fairly well in the Kings' Stand. Bewitched could be outpaced, but will surely run on late. In the end, I have to go with Elzaam who has some early speed and who was mighty impressive last time. She gets the weight allowance, a good draw, and has the best horses to run at, namely the pace of the race, just on her outside. Selection: Elzaam 14/1.

OK I've run out of time

Race 4: Nasri 16/1
Race 5: Averroes 16/1 E/W
Race 6: Chink Of Light 25/1

OTM Al
06-18-2011, 09:45 AM
Hard to know what Polydamos could have been with him running off like that. He may have gotten kicked as well before they caught him. I was interested in him until that.

Like your pick in the 2nd, though think I'm using him underneath in exacta. Don't understand the talk on Drunken Sailor. Has all the earmarks of the classic wise guy horse

gm10
06-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Hard to know what Polydamos could have been with him running off like that. He may have gotten kicked as well before they caught him. I was interested in him until that.

Like your pick in the 2nd, though think I'm using him underneath in exacta. Don't understand the talk on Drunken Sailor. Has all the earmarks of the classic wise guy horse

Calvados never got into it.
Await The Dawn being aimed at the Breeders Cup Classic.

OTM Al
06-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Calvados never got into it.
Await The Dawn being aimed at the Breeders Cup Classic.

This is the kind of horse I can never trust despite such potential. Too many long breaks in the running lines.

Think Star Witness is still the one to beat despite the ground today. Boxing him with Elzaam and Hooray

OTM Al
06-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Big hadicap. Always tough. Going with Victoire de Lyphar, Pastoral Player, Anne of Kiev box

gm10
06-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Big hadicap. Always tough. Going with Victoire de Lyphar, Pastoral Player, Anne of Kiev box

I can't figure out the draw bias (if there is one). Each time I think I figured it out, the opposite of what I expect, happens. I threw out Gramercy (race 4) this morning because i thought his draw was all wrong, but now it looks the opposite and he looks good value 28/1.

skipaway100
06-18-2011, 11:17 AM
i like Victoire De Lyphar, but also #17 Imperial Guest (41-1 US, 17-1 Will Hill) has a big price. I'll spread 2/3 on Victoire and 1/3 on the 17.

Gl

gm10
06-18-2011, 04:11 PM
That was not a satisfying Ascot for me, betting-wise.
Hit three placepots, but they were all backup tickets, and didn't really pay enough imo. Had no real big win ticket.
The racing was good, not super.

Humph
06-19-2011, 06:15 AM
The racing was good, not super.

If nothing else , the meet has wetted the appetite for one or two prospective clashes later in the season - Canford Cliffs against Frankel ; So Think Think and Rewilding in the King George against Workforce and St. Nicholas Abbey , hopefully - and for seeing the likes of Maybe, Await The Dawn and Immortal Verse in future races .