PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom hurt?

OFFandRUNNING10
06-16-2011, 03:57 PM
I thought I overheard something on the radio about Animal Kingdom being out with a hind leg injury. Unfortunately, I was on the phone and could only hear it briefly in the background. Has anyone heard anything about this confirming or denying?

sonnyp
06-16-2011, 04:11 PM
I thought I overheard something on the radio about Animal Kingdom being out with a hind leg injury. Unfortunately, I was on the phone and could only hear it briefly in the background. Has anyone heard anything about this confirming or denying?

his hock lit up a nuclear scan they performed after they thought he was stiff coming out of the belmont. this is the first diognostic step. they've probably now taken extensive radiographs to ascertain if there is a problem of any consequence in the hock.

sonnyp
06-16-2011, 05:33 PM
i'm reading now that the vets have looked at the x-rays of the left hock that lit up the original scan. they have diagnosed a "small fissure" where the cannon bone connects to the hock.

naturally, team valor is complaining that the "injury" occurred when AK was interfered with at the start of the belmont. i use "injury" because this is kinda normal wear and tear that occurs in many racehorses with immature joints.

anyway, his summer schedule will be effected cause he's going to miss some time.

FantasticDan
06-16-2011, 06:07 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/animal-kingdom-has-injured-leg-will-miss-some-training

Rackon
06-29-2011, 02:10 PM
Out for the year, but not retired. Irwin says he wants to race him at 4 and 5 and their goal is stil Dubai.

Slab fracture -

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/63794/animal-kingdom-out-for-the-year?utm_source=BreakingNews&utm_medium=email

redshift1
06-29-2011, 05:02 PM
Injuries, unexpected outcomes and slow times make 2011 one of the least memorable Triple Crown seasons in recent history. I'm ready for the 2yr olds at Saratoga and Del Mar and a new start.

Mineshaft
06-29-2011, 05:25 PM
they have the Dubai Cup as there goal? do freakin what? is this horse the next Secretariat? i dont think so but Barry thinks so.

Cardus
06-30-2011, 11:39 AM
Injuries, unexpected outcomes and slow times make 2011 one of the least memorable Triple Crown seasons in recent history. I'm ready for the 2yr olds at Saratoga and Del Mar and a new start.

It will be refreshing to see the two-year-olds... until injuries, unexpected outcomes, and slow times make 2011 one of the least memorable two-year-old seasons in recent history.

Doza
06-30-2011, 06:39 PM
they have the Dubai Cup as there goal? do freakin what? is this horse the next Secretariat? i dont think so but Barry thinks so.

And they said it's a real possibility they would go to the Dubai World Cup off of works alone, no prep. I don't get it, the race is 9 months away and they are already saying they want to go in fresh. I think Gio Ponti has tried the same thing the last 2 years to no avail. Get a prep in!

sonnyp
06-30-2011, 06:54 PM
And they said it's a real possibility they would go to the Dubai World Cup off of works alone, no prep. I don't get it, the race is 9 months away and they are already saying they want to go in fresh. I think Gio Ponti has tried the same thing the last 2 years to no avail. Get a prep in!

how about just getting back to the races and then go from there ?

Mineshaft
06-30-2011, 07:12 PM

bingo we have a winner...

Patrick333
07-01-2011, 11:47 AM
how about just getting back to the races and then go from there ?I agree with on this one.

Spalding No!
07-01-2011, 12:29 PM

Because Barry Irwin has it all figured out. He already researched it and saw that Sir Henry Cecil was able to get Twice Over to win a Grade 3 trial in Dubai off a 6 month layoff. Never mind that Twice Over faltered in the actual important race (and every start since then).

Never mind that Graham Motion is not Henry Cecil. Never mind that Twice Over was coming off a 6 month seasonal rest while Animal Kingdom will be coming off 9 months of required rest. Never mind that Twice Over closed out his 2010 campaign with a big win in the Group 1 Champion , while Animal Kingdom will be coming off an off-the-board effort and a leg fracture. Never mind that Twice Over was an older horse with several seasons and starts under his belt while Animal Kingdom is a 3yo that has never faced elders and has started only 7 times. Never mind that Twice Over had already been to Dubai and Animal Kingdom will be making his first trip out of the US.

Don't worry. Barry's got this.

sonnyp
07-01-2011, 01:22 PM
Because Barry Irwin has it all figured out. He already researched it and saw that Sir Henry Cecil was able to get Twice Over to win a Grade 3 trial in Dubai off a 6 month layoff. Never mind that Twice Over faltered in the actual important race (and every start since then).

Never mind that Graham Motion is not Henry Cecil. Never mind that Twice Over was coming off a 6 month seasonal rest while Animal Kingdom will be coming off 9 months of required rest. Never mind that Twice Over closed out his 2010 campaign with a big win in the Group 1 Champion , while Animal Kingdom will be coming off an off-the-board effort and a leg fracture. Never mind that Twice Over was an older horse with several seasons and starts under his belt while Animal Kingdom is a 3yo that has never faced elders and has started only 7 times. Never mind that Twice Over had already been to Dubai and Animal Kingdom will be making his first trip out of the US.

Don't worry. Barry's got this.

and ya know what ? those team valor investors (with their team valor baserball caps, the women all have their hair pulled thru that whole in the back as do a few of the guys) just love hearing how much success lies ahead. just a bump in the road and besides....all those saratoga yearling sales are coming !!!!!

Spalding No!
07-01-2011, 01:36 PM
and ya know what ? those team valor investors (with their team valor baserball caps, the women all have their hair pulled thru that whole in the back as do a few of the guys) just love hearing how much success lies ahead. just a bump in the road and besides....all those saratoga yearling sales are coming !!!!!

My favorite bit from this latest development is that Irwin "didn't believe" the vet's initial diagnosis (never mind that the vets were always planning to re-evaluate) and that something was seriously wrong with the horse.

Then when the definitive answer came, Irwin waved it off as a "very minor thing".

sonnyp
07-01-2011, 05:32 PM
My favorite bit from this latest development is that Irwin "didn't believe" the vet's initial diagnosis (never mind that the vets were always planning to re-evaluate) and that something was seriously wrong with the horse.

Then when the definitive answer came, Irwin waved it off as a "very minor thing".

surgery is ALWAYS minor when its on somebody else. what's an operation and a few screws here and there amount to ? fagetabotit, lets make reservations at the dubai hilton !!!

Robert Fischer
07-02-2011, 02:27 AM
hope he gets a full recover and a full, healthy campaign @ 4.

After "soundness", the bias will determine whether or not AK is suited to the DWC trip. The big purse going 10f /synthetic seem like a great stakes race to point for, and it is, although simply being the best horse is no guarantee at being the top win contender there.

Spalding No!
07-02-2011, 11:31 AM
hope he gets a full recover and a full, healthy campaign @ 4.

After "soundness", the bias will determine whether or not AK is suited to the DWC trip. The big purse going 10f /synthetic seem like a great stakes race to point for, and it is, although simply being the best horse is no guarantee at being the top win contender there.

I would hope for Dubai's sake that Animal Kingdom will not be the best horse in the World Cup.

Gitano Hernando has more of a shot on paper form.

FantasticDan
07-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Surgery went well:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/63909/animal-kingdom-has-successful-surgery

Idrivetrotters
07-09-2011, 02:11 PM
I would love to see the 2yo crop improve upon this crop, but unless there is a superstar in the shed we don't know about yet, it will be the same mediocre studs bred to even less stimulating mares, so we can have another bumper crop of weak, mediocre horses.

I love this game I honestly do, I'm just so sick and tired of broke down bleeders being bred to either a broke down bleeder or an unraced mare.

Until we can start campaigning these horses like champions and not drug therapy them to death, we may actually get a tough as nails horse again. But, as long as breeders are more concerned about sales and not the future of these sales grads. will we see any improvement, but a continuing slide into mediocre.