PDA

View Full Version : Churchill-We're happy with the horseplayer-so we'll give the Horseplayer nothing.

jelly
06-16-2011, 12:18 PM
Churchill-Is happy with the horseplayer,so they're going to payoff the Horseman for the 2nd time while giving nothing to the Horseplayer.

Churchill's (New Pick-5)has the highest takeout in the country.

"Horse racing fans have responded positively to our racing product this season and wagering levels over the last two weeks in particular greatly exceeded our projections," said Kevin Flanery, president of Churchill Downs Racetrack. "We're pleased to announce another 15-percent increase for our horsemen as we hit the stretch run of the spring meet."

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/editorial/full_edition.cgi

FenceBored
06-16-2011, 12:28 PM

As one of two tracks in the US (along with Keeneland) who don't have a single pool whose takeout is above 19.00% or more Churchill is a major takeout villian?

I see. No, really it all becomes clear now. What was I thinking?

BillW
06-16-2011, 01:15 PM
While I'm happy to see the Ky takeouts some of the lowest in the nation, it's only fair to state that they are the highest allowed by Ky. law. I.E the tracks can't be given much credit for the takeout levels (other than maybe supporting the present parimutuel laws that are in place of which I have no idea???)

turfnsport
06-16-2011, 01:24 PM
"Horse racing fans have responded positively to our racing product this season and wagering levels over the last two weeks in particular greatly exceeded our projections," said Kevin Flanery, president of Churchill Downs Racetrack. "We're pleased to announce another 15-percent increase for our horsemen as we hit the stretch run of the spring meet."

I have read this type of quote literally hundreds of times over the years. Not ONCE has the statement ever ended in, "We are pleased to announce ___________ for our horseplayers."

Fill in the blank with anything you want: takeout decrease, free admission, bobblehead, apple pie, free parking, free hookers, free hot dog, etc.

Not once. But maybe I'm forgetting a free t-shirt or something.

OTM Al
06-16-2011, 01:36 PM
I guess giving them this P5 bet doesn't count. Evidently it was something players wanted as they have played it so much that Churchill is able to increase purses, but if you say it's nothing, I guess you are right

thaskalos
06-16-2011, 01:42 PM
As long as Kentucky maintains a 19% ceiling on exotics bets, I am not complaining.

You guys KNOW that New York charges 26% on the trifecta, superfecta, Pick 3 and pick 4...RIGHT?

Charli125
06-16-2011, 02:51 PM
Churchill-Is happy with the horseplayer,so they're going to payoff the Horseman for the 2nd time while giving nothing to the Horseplayer.

Actually Portland Meadows, Thisteldown, Turf Paradise, and Delaware all have higher P5 takeout.

I would have loved to see them lower takeout but they're very well placed compared to other tracks. They definitely need to put the P5 at 15% to be comparable to other tracks though.

I give them credit for having lower takeout than most, and allowing handle to drive purses rather than raising purses and expecting that to drive handle.

jelly
06-16-2011, 04:10 PM
Actually Portland Meadows, Thisteldown, Turf Paradise, and Delaware all have higher P5 takeout.

Thanks for the correction.

I would have loved to see them lower takeout but they're very well placed compared to other tracks. They definitely need to put the P5 at 15% to be comparable to other tracks though.

Agree.

I give them credit for having lower takeout than most, and allowing handle to drive purses rather than raising purses and expecting that to drive handle.

As Bill W says it's hard to give them credit,but i acknowledge the lower takeout than most.

Bill W
"While I'm happy to see the Ky takeouts some of the lowest in the nation, it's only fair to state that they are the highest allowed by Ky. law. I.E the tracks can't be given much credit for the takeout levels (other than maybe supporting the present parimutuel laws that are in place of which I have no idea???)"

Tom
06-16-2011, 10:38 PM
I do not support Kentucky horsemen - they screwed with us bettors a few years and I am still boycotting. Thier new track announcer has made it very easy and very permanent. Let the dam KY horsemen starve for all I care.

BillW
06-17-2011, 01:01 AM
As Bill W says it's hard to give them credit,but i acknowledge the lower takeout than most.

Bill W
"While I'm happy to see the Ky takeouts some of the lowest in the nation, it's only fair to state that they are the highest allowed by Ky. law. I.E the tracks can't be given much credit for the takeout levels (other than maybe supporting the present parimutuel laws that are in place of which I have no idea???)"

Something else that should be mentioned is that when Keeneland tried to lower their takeout there was such an outrage from other tracks (boycotts) that their expected higher handle was neutralized by the boycott. So they are kind of handcuffed and can't do much about it.

http://www.drf.com/news/nyc-otb-wont-take-keeneland-lower-takeout

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/6643/takeout-conflict-hurts-keenelands-total-handle-on-track-improves

Striker
06-17-2011, 06:30 PM

HRTV just interviewed Flanery and Gary Stevens asked who gets the credit for the purse hike and where did the extra money come from. He said this is all because of their racing office and the horsemen. Interesting.

jelly
06-17-2011, 08:51 PM
I'm sure Mr.Flanery wouldn't have time to take any questions from HANA members.