PDA

View Full Version : Royal Ascot Wednesday

gm10
06-15-2011, 08:59 AM
The star of the show today is SO YOU THINK in the Prince Of Wales' Stakes.

Race 1 (Jersey Stakes, G3): Not the deepest field, and Codemaster 3/1 is the logical choice, I'm afraid. Oracle is 6/1 and probably a bit of value with Ryan Moore riding him for the first time. Moore is the best and most consistent jockey in England in my view. Selection: Oracle 6/1.

Race 2 (Windsor Forest, G2): Lots of fillies could win this IF they ran to their best. However, there is one that stands out to me on recent form and that's I'm A Dreamer. She has been improving with every start and could be a group 1 filly. 9/2 is a good price. First City is 40/1 but I think she'll run well. Selection: I'm A Dreamer 9/2.

Race 3 (Prince Of Wales, G1): So You Think 4/9 is the hype horse, and he looks hard to oppose. Classy, tough, and in the hands of a trainer who can keep them going for a while. Twice Over has been the hype horse in the past, but this time, ironically, he actually looks a bit of like value because of SYT. Small bet on Twice Over 14/1.

Race 4 (Royal Hunt Cup): An annual cavalry charge, 28 runners this year. Plenty of chances at a decent price such as Dance And Dance 12/1 or Julienas 16/1, but my final win selection is Mont Agel 14/1. Small E/W on Invisible Man 33/1, too.

Race 5 (Queen Mary Stakes, G2): Shumoos is promising but too short. Kohala is much too big at 28/1. Gypsy Robin is a great bet at 8/1. Selection: Gypsy Robin 8/1.

Race 6 (Sandringham Hcap, Listed): A tight handicap. Of the market leaders, I prefer Winter's Night but 5/1 is not a great bet. Blessed Biata is worth keeping an eye on 10/1. My selection is Sonning Rose 25/1 who will be appreciate the extra furlong after getting into trouble in the bend at Epsom but running on well for third. Selection: Sonning Rose 25/1.

OTM Al
06-15-2011, 09:25 AM
I like the looks of Havane Smoker in the first. Strong Suit can surprise.. Boxing the two and playing Havane over Strong Suit and Splash Point, who should like the cut back.

Humph
06-15-2011, 09:29 AM
Looks ultra competitive again and perhaps not a day to be getting heavily involved.

Am very much looking forward to seeing So You Think . Not sure how is Aussie form is going to translate to Euro tracks - this is going to be a whole lot tougher than his two outings in Ireland - so woudn't really want to be guessing at the odds, but he is a star down under and is being backed as if losing isn't being considered . One or two of these should provide a test , though , not least Planteur.

In the second , I too like I'm A Dreamer - looks solid . And Mick Channon surely must have realized by now that this is about as far as Music Show wants to go. The latter has form to be a threat here ,imo, and appeals too at likely odds .

Elsewhere , in the Queen Mary , Shumoos won in slick time on it's debut , but Jim Bolger's Somasach did too and may be worth an involvement at the odds .

The rest looks a minefield ,imo.

OTM Al
06-15-2011, 09:33 AM
Some day I'm going to learn how to place a freakin win bet.....I swear

lamboguy
06-15-2011, 09:36 AM
you have to be close to a genius to win playing trick bets

OTM Al
06-15-2011, 09:52 AM
In the second, Music Show outclasses this field by a great measure. Her form is a little darkened, but look what it's against. One against quality boys, Dick Turpin and Cityscape (who ran so well yesterday) ahead of her in the debut and then trying to go too long and getting beat by Midday. No shame in either of those. Playing her to WIN because I'm going to pretend to have learned my lesson and boxed with Sajjhaa.

Shelby
06-15-2011, 09:56 AM
I don't know why I keep trying to bet these races. I suck lol.

I like Jacqueline Quest in this next race. Going to do $2 win/place.

Shelby
06-15-2011, 10:07 AM
Why do the numbers of the horse not match up with post position? Just curious.

Shelby
06-15-2011, 10:10 AM
You've got to be kidding me. :faint:

Did she just sit down, or did the stall fail?

OTM Al
06-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Why do the numbers of the horse not match up with post position? Just curious.

Numbers are alphabetical in a stake and by weight in a handicap. Stalls are drawn randomly. Just the way it is. Got to learn the silk colors before the race

BIG49010
06-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Anybody know who makes the speed figs in the TVG PP's, they are doing good, they had the last race with Lolly for Dolly.

OTM Al
06-15-2011, 10:19 AM
Awful trip for Music Show. Might not have had it anyway but had no where to go when it was time.

Just watching the 3rd and hoping So You Think keeps going

gm10
06-15-2011, 10:46 AM
Awful trip for Music Show. Might not have had it anyway but had no where to go when it was time.

Just watching the 3rd and hoping So You Think keeps going

Slightly funny results so far. I am inclined to lay him at 2/5.

gm10
06-15-2011, 10:50 AM
What a finish!!!!!

Track record.

gm10
06-15-2011, 11:04 AM
What a finish!!!!!

Track record.

Correction. Fast time but not a track record after all.

OTM Al
06-15-2011, 11:05 AM
What a finish!!!!!

Track record.

I found Rewilding interesting and had him on WC day, but between Dettori's recent riding and Godolphin not doing much recently, there was no way I could pull the trigger. Excellent run by both and no shame in that loss. Wonder what Rewilding's Arc odds just did as he was considered more a 1 1/2 mile type.

OTM Al
06-15-2011, 11:23 AM
Boxing Start Right, Invisible Man and Super Say in 4th. More of an action bet than anything though

Shelby
06-15-2011, 11:24 AM
Boxing Start Right, Invisible Man and Super Say in 4th. More of an action bet than anything though

Oh dear, I feel bad for you. I did a win bet on Invisible Man. :lol:

OTM Al
06-15-2011, 11:31 AM
Oh dear, I feel bad for you. I did a win bet on Invisible Man. :lol:

No reason to. These big handicaps are near impossible. You hit you hit big, so threw a couple bucks down for fun. My least serious bet so far.

lamboguy
06-15-2011, 11:53 AM
the takeout in england is 13% for win and 26% for PLACE and tricks. the rebates for place are the same as for win. so i would be careful playing these races races for place.

Humph
06-16-2011, 06:12 AM
Correction. Fast time but not a track record after all.

The track was altered during rebuilding of the track a little while back, and 4 out of yesterday's 6 winners broke the track standard ( the other two were only within a whisker of this ) , so not sure how signifcant a track record would have been ,anyway . One thing is for sure, though , conditions were pretty slick . Interestingly , the speed figure people over there are giving Rewilding a 117 , which is respectable for the grade , if not earthshattering .

gm10
06-16-2011, 06:14 AM
The track was altered during rebuilding of the track a little while back, and 4 out of yesterday's 6 winners broke the track standard ( the other two were only within a whisker of this ) , so not sure how signifcant a track record would have been ,anyway . One thing is for sure, though , conditions were pretty slick . Interestingly , the speed figure people over there are giving Rewilding a 117 , which is respectable for the grade , if not earthshattering .

Makes sense. I was a thrilling race, but I'm not sure that we saw two world beaters.