PDA

View Full Version : RACING "BURNOUT"

shanta
11-06-2003, 09:10 AM
THIS IS A QUESTION FOR THE EVERYDAY PLAYER- HAVE YOU EXPERIENCED "BURNOUT"? YOU KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. THAT FEELING WHEN YOU SIT DOWN TO HANDICAP AND YOU SAY TO YOURSELF"MAN I AM NOT INTO THIS TODAY"!OR YOU GET TO THE TRACK OR WHEREVER YOU WAGER AT AND YOU FIND YOURSELF WANTING TO BE SOMEWHERE ELSE AT THAT MOMENT.THIS HAPPENED TO ME ABOUT 6 WEEKS AGO.I WAGER AT LEAST 4 DAYS A WEEK YEAR ROUND . ON THOSE DAYS I MULTITRACK 3-5 TRACKS AND SPEND 8 TO 10 HOURS MAKING BETTING DECISIONS. THAT IS BESIDE THE TIME IT TAKES BEFORE THAT TO HANDICAP SAID RACES. FOR THE FIRST 2 WEEKS I CUT DOWN THE DAYS THAT I WOULD GO TO 2 BUT I WAS STILL OUT OF IT! I COULD FEEL IT INSIDE!THEN I DECIDED TO STAY AWAY FROM ALL RACING FOR 2 WEEKS. MAN WHAT A RELIEF! I WENT FOR LONG WALKS IN THE PARK NEAR MY HOUSE,STARTED EXERCISING A LOT(SOMETHING I WASNT DOING BEFORE),EVEN SPENT SOME TIME HITTING ON A LADY WHO LIVES DOWN THE STREET FROM ME :eek: :eek: !!!!!!!! ANYWAY WHEN I RETURNED TO THE GRIND ABOUT A WEEK AND A HALF AGO I FELT VERY REFRESHED. JUST ASKING IF THERE ARE OTHERS OUT THERE WHO HAVE HAD THIS HAPPEN TO THEM AND WHAT WERE SOME OF THE THINGS THEY DID WHICH HELPED! BEST RICHIE:)

cato
11-06-2003, 09:54 AM
Yes, I feel the burnout based on multitrack, year round racing. You (I) have to have the discipline to limit that tracks per day and the days per week and then take some periods of time where there is simply no handicapping and betting at all.

I am also working harder about making betting decisions earlier in the day, making the bets and then going on about my business, which helps; but you still have to limit the tracks per day or it gets crazy.

CHeers, Cato

alysheba88
11-06-2003, 10:26 AM
Shanta,

You definitely need to have an "off season" to rejuvunate yourself. Ignore anything to do with racing, whether it be six weeks or two months or whatever.

JustRalph
11-06-2003, 03:03 PM
going through it right now.............. been so busy in the personal life with moving and all...... can't find the energy to sit down and work on a race card.............it sucks.........

Larry Hamilton
11-06-2003, 03:37 PM
The solution to this problem is (dont laugh) win more often. It is difficult to lose interest if you are winning EVERY day as opposed to winning EVENTUALLY.

Valuist
11-06-2003, 09:33 PM
If you suspect you are burned out, you most likely are. Get away from it for a while and re-charge the batteries. It could be just 4 days; it could be 2 months. Most of us have had this happen a number of times. I usually take 2 breaks per year.

Zaf
11-06-2003, 09:38 PM
I only seem to burn out during a long losing streak. Then I'll take a few days, perhaps a week off, and then I raring to come back!

ZAFONIC

Tom
11-06-2003, 10:12 PM
I burnout every year during the winter inner dirt track meet. Sometine around mid January or February-after the excitement of the holdiays passes and the realization sets in that there will be ice on my windshield every morning for at lest four more months.
One of the things that helps my thorugh it is to bet Florida and California tracks - the bright sunny days, the palm trees, the flamingos, all help me get through a card.
At the height of burnout, I just cannot decide anything about a trace-it all goes blank and I have no choice but to stop playing for a few weeks.
Long meets drive me down-it gets old. I like a new track starting up, new profile to make, new horse shipping in, a fresh start.

trying2win
11-06-2003, 11:18 PM
--I concur with what Larry and Zafonic are saying. It is amazing how a big payoff here and there can re-energize you.

--Conversely, during a losing streak, it seems your GET-UP-AND-GO has GOT-UP-AND-GONE!

Trying2win

kingfin66
11-06-2003, 11:38 PM
You sound totally normal. I think this happens to everybody to some degree. I also agree with the comment about winning. When I'm doing well I can't wait to 'cap. Sometimes, when I'm not doing as well and haven't had a break for awhile I tend to need for motivation or a break.

Your actions to step away for awhile sounds like the perfect solution.

kenwoodallpromos
11-07-2003, 02:26 AM
I took most of Del Mar and Saratoga off!! I play some anmd spend many days just researching online! I get burned out sometimes when I get too familiar with horse names and find myself betting with some emotion instead of just by the numbers.

Hosshead
11-07-2003, 03:01 AM
One of the advantages of playing a "system", is less burnout. As opposed to handicapping in the traditional sense, and constantly making decisions. And second guessing yourself (your decisions), with "I shoulda/coulda". (losing streaks)

timtam
11-07-2003, 09:33 AM
I was wondering if the total professional takes time out for burn-out. I haven't placed a bet since Breeders Cup because I had a lousy day but handicapping isn't my only job. How do the professionals take time out because while your on a hiatus the bills keep rolling in. Sometimes I do get shell-shocked and when I lose I make more conservative bets but the pros have to pick and choose their spots and if they're taking a break they may miss a handsome payout. Just curious !

Binder
11-08-2003, 03:43 AM
Shanta

Yes I hear you .. Burnout happens to me now and then too
and I am only a part timer For a full time wager like you It must be hard .. What works for me is too stay away for a short time
When I go back , I use the very first method I learned.
Its not very profitable .. but its a great way to get REFOCUSED
I use the Wm Scott "Investing at the Race Track " method
of only looking at the top 3 betting favorites Then betting w/p
on the top rated of those 3 horses only . Its a nice little fun
way to relax . Like I said Its not very profitable (for me)
But Its a safe way to ride out the burnout .. Soon as I
watch 10/1 horses win who are rated over the public
choices and they are right there on the Val2 sreen Im back into it again
Good Skill..
Binder