PDA

View Full Version : Royal Ascot Tuesday June, 14th

Producer
06-13-2011, 09:17 PM
First off, this is an amazing card for the opening day. Goldikova vs Canford Hills in the opener, Frankel in the 3rd, and fields of 20+ in the other 4 races!!

I have never really followed the international races, other than the occasional Australia card. But, since I'm off work tomorrow and the wife and kid are at summer camp/work, I'm gonna make a few small win and exacta wagers. I will be using the Brisnet PP's, which I hate, but they are free so I'll try to make it work.

Do you guys have any advice as to things to look out for? Trainers that do well at the meet, how the track tends to play, etc?

Any info would be appreciated.

cpitt84
06-13-2011, 09:25 PM
anyone know where i can watch a live stream of it?

BIG49010
06-13-2011, 10:02 PM
tvg has been advertising it for the last week, I think Simon is over there

Producer
06-13-2011, 10:10 PM
Twin-spires

OTM Al
06-13-2011, 10:43 PM
NYRA is carrying Tuesday as well

Humph
06-14-2011, 04:05 AM
First off, this is an amazing card for the opening day. Goldikova vs Canford Hills in the opener, Frankel in the 3rd, and fields of 20+ in the other 4 races!!

I have never really followed the international races, other than the occasional Australia card. But, since I'm off work tomorrow and the wife and kid are at summer camp/work, I'm gonna make a few small win and exacta wagers. I will be using the Brisnet PP's, which I hate, but they are free so I'll try to make it work.

Do you guys have any advice as to things to look out for? Trainers that do well at the meet, how the track tends to play, etc?

Any info would be appreciated.

Apparently there has been a bit of rain in area . They're giving the going as good , good to soft in places , but sometimes in England these assessments can be way out . Best watch race times ,imo - track standard times can be found on the Racing Post's site , I think.

Also be careful with your mile races . Some , such as Tuesday's Gr1s, are run around one bend and pps aren't that much of a consideration . However other mile races , such as Wednesday's Royal Hunt Cup , are run over the straight course , complete with likely significant track biases ( best note previous winners pp ).

Also , all races at distances shorter than a mile are also run straight , no bend , so again , watch for where the winners are coming from , low , middle or high numbered PPs.

gm10
06-14-2011, 08:03 AM
Race 1 (Queen Anne, G1): Richard Hannon takes another shot at Goldikova, with the very classy Canford Cliffs this time. I hope Goldi wins, but this is one of her stiffest tasks yet. This has been hyped as a match race, but I think Cape Blanco also has claims at 9/1 and is my main bet on value grounds.

Race 2 (King's Stand, G1): As usual, a big competitive field lines up for the 5F dash. The pace seems to be in the low and high stalls, so they could split into two groups. I like Sweet Seanette 14/1 who has been running good races in HK, but I'm concerned about being drawn in the middle. The American Holiday For Kitten is way too big 33/1. So is Tangerine Trees 25/1 who may be able to dominate her group at the far rail. Hard to come up with a main selection ... let's go for the ultra-sharp Prohibit 16/1.

Race 3 (St James' Palace, G1): Obviously they have Frankel to beat. I'm not betting this race.

Race 4 (Coventry Stakes, G2): An open race. I like a few longshots in this (B Fifty Two 33/1, Evervescent 100/1). The O'Brien colt Power looks tough, and is bound to run a very good race 5/1. My main win bet is Roman Soldier 16/1.

Race 5 (Ascot Stakes): I'll take Palomar 22/1. Tough race to call.

Race 6 (Windsor Castle, Listed): Frederick Engels looks tough but is only 4/1. Caledonian spring is value 33/1. I'll try to knock one out of the park with my main win bet: Caspar Netscher at 28/1.

cj
06-14-2011, 09:30 AM
You can listen here to all the races:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/bbc_radio_five_live

toussaud
06-14-2011, 09:32 AM
think goldy might have met her match. still no shame in losing that race. live to fight another day

cpitt84
06-14-2011, 09:33 AM
canford cliffs won :( ugh, I knew it would happen

gm10
06-14-2011, 09:35 AM
some of these should work

http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=120344&part=sports

cj
06-14-2011, 09:41 AM
http://maxsportz8.blogspot.com/2011/05/ch2.html

nearco
06-14-2011, 09:46 AM
You can watch Live stream (http://www.justin.tv/royal_ascot#/w/1334973936/2)

toussaud
06-14-2011, 10:07 AM
going with overdose here on backclass

Producer
06-14-2011, 10:09 AM
I like 10 sole power here.

Ian Meyers
06-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Race 2 (King's Stand, G1): As usual, a big competitive field lines up for the 5F dash. The pace seems to be in the low and high stalls, so they could split into two groups. I like Sweet Seanette 14/1 who has been running good races in HK, but I'm concerned about being drawn in the middle. The American Holiday For Kitten is way too big 33/1. So is Tangerine Trees 25/1 who may be able to dominate her group at the far rail. Hard to come up with a main selection ... let's go for the ultra-sharp Prohibit 16/1.

Very nice call. :)

cj
06-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Nice call on Prohibit.

OTM Al
06-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Race 1 (Queen Anne, G1): Richard Hannon takes another shot at Goldikova, with the very classy Canford Cliffs this time. I hope Goldi wins, but this is one of her stiffest tasks yet. This has been hyped as a match race, but I think Cape Blanco also has claims at 9/1 and is my main bet on value grounds.

Nice call on Prohibit. Had him in for second to Sole Power, so no joy for me. Really nice try by Cityscape in Queen Anne. Probably will get no value on him in the future, but one worth remembering. Am tempted to try against Frankel with Dream Ahead, Excelebration and Grand Prix Boss over him in exactas, but likely a losing proposition. Let's see what they look like when they come out.

Shelby
06-14-2011, 10:34 AM
I probably won't play it for real, but, if I were to try to beat Frankel I'd go:

:1::2::3::5::8:
:4:
:1::2::3::5::8:

$1 trifecta

OTM Al
06-14-2011, 10:43 AM
Nice call on Prohibit. Had him in for second to Sole Power, so no joy for me. Really nice try by Cityscape in Queen Anne. Probably will get no value on him in the future, but one worth remembering. Am tempted to try against Frankel with Dream Ahead, Excelebration and Grand Prix Boss over him in exactas, but likely a losing proposition. Let's see what they look like when they come out.

Exacta prices just aren't good enough, so no play.

turninforhome10
06-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Wow, what a good looking dude with an amazing stride. I hope he is the deal, cause I would love to see a new wonderhorse. Royal Ascot would be a blast to attend.

toussaud
06-14-2011, 10:50 AM
wow he moved early, almost cost him

Shelby
06-14-2011, 10:50 AM
Frankel is a superstar. Wow.

Shelby
06-14-2011, 10:54 AM
This next race is impossible lol.

gm10
Tom Queally has been making these dumb-a$$ early moves for weeks now. Same with Midday and Timepiece at Epsom. Frankel's class saved him this time.

OTM Al
I'm going hard against him the first time he goes against older. He wants no part of rating and the older milers will eat him for lunch in the last furlong. Zoffany is not a bad horse by any measure, but he won't get away with that against top flight competition.

turninforhome10
That was close, getting in behind Grand Prix boss, I thought he was gonna get trapped, he just accelerates so easy. Not sure if he likes the lead or wants something to run at as he seemed to get a bit short at the wire. He is a very nice horse and I hope we seem him keep getting better.

turninforhome10
06-14-2011, 10:58 AM
Anybody know the significance of the color of the hat the gentleman are wearing, black and gray?

OTM Al
06-14-2011, 11:10 AM
I like Fulbright, who has never run a poor race. Power does look tough too and think he wasn't well suited for the cutback in his last. Ward's horse doesn't look over bet yet, but expect him to be up in it at some point anyway.

Producer
06-14-2011, 11:25 AM
I'm going with the #3 Brocklebank in the 4th.

Producer
06-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Going with #1 Junior in the 5th.

Exacta with #1 on top with 2, 6, 15, and 16 for 2nd.

OTM Al
06-14-2011, 12:30 PM
Boxing Bayleyf, Hamza and Frederick Engels in the last. Bayleyf showed well against runners in the earlier stake and is huge on price. The Ward runner is way over bet here.

Had to pass the 5th. Those races are always a bit of a mess trying to figure out who was well intentioned, who was trying to get a jumper in shape and who was just showing up to run at Royal Ascot. There will be a couple races like that over the 5 days and I find them best avoided.

RJason
06-14-2011, 01:35 PM
Please all stay healthy because we are looking at an all-time BC Mile this year .....Goldikova going for the "four-peat", her conqueror today, Canford Cliffs, and the brilliant but still a little headstrong Frankel coming over from Europe could run 1-2-3...but in what order? With Fluke, Courageous Cat, Sidney's Candy, Gio Ponti, Ryehill Dreamer and others already here and in good form......WOW.

Should be almost as good as the new BC Sprint for 2yo - more big $$ 2yo racing, just the direction we need to continue going in......right into the toilet.

gm10
06-14-2011, 01:38 PM
Boxing Bayleyf, Hamza and Frederick Engels in the last. Bayleyf showed well against runners in the earlier stake and is huge on price. The Ward runner is way over bet here.

Had to pass the 5th. Those races are always a bit of a mess trying to figure out who was well intentioned, who was trying to get a jumper in shape and who was just showing up to run at Royal Ascot. There will be a couple races like that over the 5 days and I find them best avoided.
Unfortunately you can t pass the race when you are playing the placepot. It knocked me out of it. Only paid 40/1 but still better to win it of course.

If anyone is interested, my biggest fancy for tomorrow is Keeneland maiden winner Gypsy Robin 8/1.

gm10
06-14-2011, 02:58 PM
Exacta prices just aren't good enough, so no play.
I don't know why but this often seems to be the case in Britain.

OTM Al
06-14-2011, 03:06 PM
Please all stay healthy because we are looking at an all-time BC Mile this year .....Goldikova going for the "four-peat", her conqueror today, Canford Cliffs, and the brilliant but still a little headstrong Frankel coming over from Europe could run 1-2-3...but in what order? With Fluke, Courageous Cat, Sidney's Candy, Gio Ponti, Ryehill Dreamer and others already here and in good form......WOW.

Should be almost as good as the new BC Sprint for 2yo - more big $$ 2yo racing, just the direction we need to continue going in......right into the toilet.

Canford won't come and Frankel probably won't come

Humph
06-14-2011, 03:18 PM
Canford and Frankel should hopefully meet up in the Sussex Stakes at Goodwood in July . And if Goldikova goes there too , it should be a vintage renewal.

OTM Al
06-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Canford and Frankel should hopefully meet up in the Sussex Stakes at Goodwood in July . And if Goldikova goes there too , it should be a vintage renewal.

She won't. They plan to follow the same schedule as last year, so she will be running in France

RJason
06-14-2011, 06:33 PM
I was told the Canford connections are planning on a trip to CD and trust the source - want to see Goldikova earn it and if he comes, she'll need to be 100%.....as for Frankel, those connections like to come, but I guess we'll see - you never know with undefeated horses - more pressure on their schedule.

Valuist
06-14-2011, 10:26 PM
Canford Cliffs won in 1:38 2/5 (slightly rounded up)
Frankel won in 1:39 1/5

Just a guess, but I'd give Canford Cliffs a 115 so that would make Frankel a 107.

Humph
06-15-2011, 02:48 AM
Canford Cliffs won in 1:38 2/5 (slightly rounded up)
Frankel won in 1:39 1/5

Just a guess, but I'd give Canford Cliffs a 115 so that would make Frankel a 107.

Frankel's mile was over the round course - around one bend - whereas Canford's was over the straight mile , which kind of blurs comparisons. Also , I'd love to know what kind of fractions Frankel put up - when will they ever learn over there - because the visuals hinted at him being out on his feet late . And whatever they were ,it looks as if, despite being criticized by many , Henry Cecil was right not to send his colt to Epsom for the Derby.

affirmedny
06-15-2011, 10:53 AM
Canford won't come and Frankel probably won't come

So much for that theory:

Canford Cliffs Targeting BC Mile

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/63580/canford-cliffs-targeting-bc-mile

nearco
06-15-2011, 10:58 AM
So much for that theory:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/63580/canford-cliffs-targeting-bc-mile

They are considering it. However, the Japanese offered a huge bonus last year for him to run in the big Mile race in Japan, good chance they will try to tempt him again.

OTM Al
06-15-2011, 11:10 AM
So much for that theory:

I'll believe it when I see it but honestly am doubting it. He's a big boy and is going to lose some of that advantage having to go around tight turns of a 7f turf course against a smaller and thinner horse like Goldi. I'd still take her over him on that sort of course.

nearco
06-15-2011, 11:15 AM
I'll believe it when I see it but honestly am doubting it. He's a big boy and is going to lose some of that advantage having to go around tight turns of a 7f turf course against a smaller and thinner horse like Goldi. I'd still take her over him on that sort of course.

He's also not BC nominated so will have to pay a big penalty to run.

Here is the article about the Japanese bonus they offered him last year, effectively doubling his money if he won, making it close to $3m pay day.
http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/snow-fairy-ed-dunlop-japan-racing-association-japan-out-to-lure-canford-cliffs-to-kyoto-with-big-prize/775250/