PDA

View Full Version : Horse Racing: The Short Hard Ride of Michael Baze

andymays
06-13-2011, 09:47 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20110610/us_time/08599207683700

Excerpt:

He sought counseling in Arkansas, where he was on medication for depression and a life-long sleep disorder. His mother, Teri Gibson, visited him there. "He was a hard one to get to because he didn't ever want to bother anyone else with what was going on with him," she told TIME. "He was always concerned about everyone else.

andymays
06-13-2011, 09:49 AM
I'm not sure if Michael was diagnosed with Major Depression but it sounds like that's what he had. If anyone knows anyone with the disease self medicating is one of the problems assoiciated with it.

What a shame.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/major-depression

Excerpt:

What are signs of major depression in men?

Depression in men is significantly underreported. Men who suffer from clinical depression are less likely to seek help or even talk about their experience.

Signs of depression in men may include irritability, anger, or drug and alcohol abuse. Repressing their feelings can result in violent behavior directed both inwardly and outwardly. It can also result in an increase in illness, suicide, and homicide.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_depressive_disorder

Excerpt:

Certain types of long-term drug use can both cause and worsen depressive symptoms. Psychological treatments are based on theories of personality, interpersonal communication, and learning. Most biological theories focus on the monoamine chemicals serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine, which are naturally present in the brain and assist communication between nerve cells.

PhantomOnTour
06-13-2011, 09:52 AM
My apologies if this drifts the thread, but does anyone think the weights that these jocks must make has anything to do with so many being on drugs?

Grown adults (even the smaller ones among us) are not naturally 112lbs.
How do you get there? Diets, flipping and drugs for many....
Raise the scale of weights by 5lbs across the board.
It would make a huge difference imo.

andymays
06-13-2011, 09:59 AM
My apologies if this drifts the thread, but does anyone think the weights that these jocks must make has anything to do with so many being on drugs?

Grown adults (even the smaller ones among us) are not naturally 112lbs.
How do you get there? Diets, flipping and drugs for many....
Raise the scale of weights by 5lbs across the board.
It would make a huge difference imo.

The drugs help them lose weight but the side effects are disastrous.

The reason I posted this thread is that very few people understand depression and concentrate only on the drug abuse when in fact drug abuse (self medicating) can be a symptom of depression.

jognlope
06-13-2011, 09:59 AM
Depression can be just nervous exhaustion from doing too much and not getting support. I think only truly believing that God is watching over you helps at certain times. People need support each and every day. It's just too sad.

PhantomOnTour
06-13-2011, 10:07 AM
The drugs help them lose weight but the side effects are disastrous.

The reason I posted this thread is that very few people understand depression and concentrate only on the drug abuse when in fact drug abuse (self medicating) can be a symptom of depression.
Good point Andy

Dave Schwartz
06-13-2011, 10:48 AM
Diets, flipping and drugs for many....

What is "flipping?"

PhantomOnTour
06-13-2011, 10:53 AM
What is "flipping?"
Purging, if you will.
Eat a meal and then flip it...puke.

Dave Schwartz
06-13-2011, 01:10 PM
Ah, thanks.

nijinski
06-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Michael and his Dad had not spoken for over a decade at one point . His Dad
also had a very bad cocaine addiction and hit rock bottom but survived and went back to riding .
Obviously Michael had to deal with alot more than most kids should have to and he really needed alot of support .
Appears his Mom did the very best she could . So heartbreaking to lose your
child . Maybe someone will read his of his journey and reach out to another
going through the same and may his family members find strength and peace.

hugh
06-13-2011, 03:02 PM
I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder 10 years ago. So I know the devastating effect a mental illness has on a person. I hope Russel gets through this tough time considering recent events.
Mental illness is no laughing matter. I teach a class called peer to peer for the national alliance on mental illness. Every day I deal with people who have major depression, bipolar disorder, and the like.
Mental illness is a serious medical illness that affects one in four families. NAMI's support and public education efforts are focused on educating America about mental illness, offering resources to those in need and insisting that mental illness become a high national priority.

Check NAMI out guys. Peace.

www.nami.org

hugh :)

andymays
06-13-2011, 03:23 PM
I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder 10 years ago. So I know the devastating effect a mental illness has on a person. I hope Russel gets through this tough time considering recent events.
Mental illness is no laughing matter. I teach a class called peer to peer for the national alliance on mental illness. Every day I deal with people who have major depression, bipolar disorder, and the like.
Mental illness is a serious medical illness that affects one in four families. NAMI's support and public education efforts are focused on educating America about mental illness, offering resources to those in need and insisting that mental illness become a high national priority.

Check NAMI out guys. Peace.

www.nami.org

hugh :)

Good for you hugh. You're doing important work. :ThmbUp: