PDA

View Full Version : Lets Hear It For Breen

sonnyp
06-12-2011, 02:14 PM
with a lot of negatives coming out after the belmont, let's hear it for a ballsy move by a trainer.

after being left out of the derby by a classless move by repole, kelly breen adds blinkers to his horse going 1 1/2 miles in a classic race. whether this made "the" difference or not, it shows courage of conviction and a "gamble" many trainers would not take.

with all the talk about AK, Shak,MMM....let's give credit to the winner. they did what they had to, to keep their horse up close, told the jock to just go in a race where being close proves successful and they won.

nice job

njcurveball
06-12-2011, 02:21 PM
after being left out of the derby by a classless move by repole, kelly breen adds blinkers to his horse going 1 1/2 miles in a classic race. whether this made "the" difference or not, it shows courage of conviction and a "gamble" many trainers would not take.

Kudos to Kelly, but I am pretty sure Sway Away was next in line if Repole scratched.

onefast99
06-12-2011, 05:13 PM
He is a great person, we started in this game having him for several good years as our trainer. He worked his tail off to get where he is today. He always preached the two year olds to me but I wanted the claimers! I wish him the best of luck the rest of this year, he has won two million dollar races and don't forget the connections sold Sweet Ducky for a very nice amount!

Stillriledup
06-12-2011, 05:16 PM
Lets hear it for Jose also!

Robert Fischer
06-12-2011, 05:24 PM
as a handicapper - between Breen and the Halls, there is very likely a horse-lover or two among them.

These connections consistently produce allowance and even stakes horses who as a rule are usually well bred, are well groomed, and appear to be well taken care of, happy and sound.

a lot of times I see their horses in the lower stakes and even if they aren't favorites, they will run with the group and run a little better than the odds suggest.

Ruler on Ice is a great fit, as he is a "game" animal which compliments their style.

onefast99
06-12-2011, 07:52 PM
as a handicapper - between Breen and the Halls, there is very likely a horse-lover or two among them.

These connections consistently produce allowance and even stakes horses who as a rule are usually well bred, are well groomed, and appear to be well taken care of, happy and sound.

a lot of times I see their horses in the lower stakes and even if they aren't favorites, they will run with the group and run a little better than the odds suggest.

Ruler on Ice is a great fit, as he is a "game" animal which compliments their style.
You will notice they purchased about 23 horses from the Keeneland sales two years ago and about 18 the year prior to that. Last year they bought very few from the Keeneland September sale relying on the breeding of their own mares on their kentucky farm. Atomic Rain and Westside Bernie were sold to Godolphin in 2009. Sweet Ducky was sold earlier this year to the Czech President and sent to Dubai.

horses721
06-15-2011, 04:25 PM
Lets hear it for Jose also!
He truly came across as a class act.

GaryG
06-15-2011, 04:57 PM
I may have missed it, but I did not hear Kelly's name mentioned once on the network post-race coverage. I never met him, but I have heard nothing but praise from those who know him.

sonnyp
06-15-2011, 05:05 PM
I may have missed it, but I did not hear Kelly's name mentioned once on the network post-race coverage. I never met him, but I have heard nothing but praise from those who know him.

that's kinda why i started this thread. the network and news agencies concentrated on listening to all the pissin and moanin from the ones who were "supposed" to win instead of celebrating the victory of those that did.

nijinski
06-15-2011, 05:34 PM
Ruler on Ice came out of the Tesio with a virus according to Breen , so good thing he didn't get to the Derby anyway.
I agree Breen did a great job with this horse who has been more than a headache for himself and Hall. The horse they say is difficult and nasty and
has to be in a separate barn away from the rest of his horses and has to be held on to for entire trips. Nothing they can do about it , as Breen say's he's already gelded.
Again Kudos to KB and I hope they have alot more success with ROI , but
whenever connections call their horse a nutcase , I kind of wonder how many
times the horse can keep up the antics and continue to win.

point given
06-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Personally, I don't like the mans taste in hats , he looks like Geppetto ! either that or an old style pimp :eek: :lol:

nijinski
06-15-2011, 06:35 PM
Personally, I don't like the mans taste in hats , he looks like Geppetto ! either that or an old style pimp :eek: :lol:
Owner and trainer had matching hats in the winner's circle .

onefast99
06-16-2011, 10:41 AM
About two years after Breen took on the Halls he started wearing the hats, it was more for fun then anything else. The Breen story is a good one he worked his way up the ladder and concentrated on 2 yo's while continuing to dabble with the claimers, we had success with him on the claiming side, Prop Me Up was purchased by us for 40k from Norman Pointer and she went on to make over 400k. Kellys cousin had great success with NJ breds. He also had Bobby Hurleys and Ricky Gallos Praying for cash in the 2006 Haskell who got beat by a fast closing Bluegrass Cat. Kelly won the 2005 and 2006 training titles at Monmouth Park. The Halls are currently 2nd in purse earnings for 2011.

mountainman
06-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Breen and I struck up a friendship during a long afternoon spent golfing when he was here last year for our wv derby. He's a great guy. One thing that stuck in my mind was him mentioning getting goosebumps during the ky derby walkover. He's a man respectful of tradition who wanted badly to win a big one. When it happened for him, I couldn't help but choke up a little. I paged his cell the other day and was serenaded by Sinatra singing "New York, New York." Awesome. Just awesome.

onefast99
06-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Breen and I struck up a friendship during a long afternoon spent golfing when he was here last year for our wv derby. He's a great guy. One thing that stuck in my mind was him mentioning getting goosebumps during the ky derby walkover. He's a man respectful of tradition who wanted badly to win a big one. When it happened for him, I couldn't help but choke up a little. I paged his cell the other day and was serenaded by Sinatra singing "New York, New York." Awesome. Just awesome.
He is a very good golfer.

mountainman
06-20-2011, 12:47 PM
He is a very good golfer.

He sure is. Hits it long with a slight draw. Told me a funny story about a money match versus a famous rider.