PDA

View Full Version : Trainer Gets 60 Days

karlskorner
09-27-2001, 10:07 AM
TRAINER GETS 60 DAYS FOR FALSE WORK

Todays DRF (9/27)

To quote a few paragraphs

The Calder stewards have suspended trainer Julian Canet for 60 days for "corrupt and fraudulent practices" and his assistant Jorge Navarro 30 days for "making false and misleading statements to the stewards." Stewards said they worked a horse under a fictitious name.

The suspension stems from the victory of 2-year old Tea and Kippers in his career debut at Calder on Aug. 25. Tea and Kippers, a son of Kipper Kelly trained by Canet, showed no recorded workouts when he launched his career under a $12,500 claiming tag. Despite the lack of works, Tea and Kippers was bet down to 5-2 and rallied from just off the pace to register a relatively easy 4 3/4 length victory. He paid $7.80.

"From what we learned , both Mr. Canet and Mr. Navarro had given a fictitious name to the gate crew and clockers on several occasions when Tea and Kippers worked" explained state steward Walter Blum. "The horse had been working under the name of Que Ball. We felt by his actions Mr. Canet has defrauded the public as well as (the stewards)

Said Blum "Obviously it is difficult for (the stewards) to police this situation on a daily basis. We're not out watching workouts every morning. But we do try to do as much as we can when a complaint is brought to our attention. Unfortunately in this case we did not receive the complaint until after the horse had run and won"

End of quotes

What bothers me is the horse had NO works showing prior to his first race. On seveal occasions I have called the stewars and stated that a FTS did not show workouts and was told there was an "unlisted work" for the horse and within minutes an announcement would be made that the FTS had a work on a certain date. If I can find NO works for a FTS in the DRF, why can't the stewards ?

What really irks me Is that I have known Canet for several years and nobody told me the horse was "ready"

Karl

andicap
09-27-2001, 10:22 AM
Yeah, sure, Karl and drive the price down even more? 5-2 is bad enough. I'm sure they didn't want even money. :)

Tell me again why we play this stupid game. I mean, at least poker and football aren't fixed.

Tom
09-27-2001, 03:04 PM
60 days is ridiculous. Both men should be banned for life.
there can be no tolerance for cheating. In addition, there should be a fine that will effectively out them totally out of business and they should be procesuted for fraud, robbery, whatever and do jail time.
These guys are scum.
Tom

Figman
09-28-2001, 09:40 AM
Tom, I seem to remember the leading trainer at FL getting caught on the same charge a year or two ago. Mr. Ferraro is still racing!

Tom
09-28-2001, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Figman
Tom, I seem to remember the leading trainer at FL getting caught on the same charge a year or two ago. Mr. Ferraro is still racing!

He was banned by the track, but legal finagling got him back in. It is a black mark on racing IMHO.
I say no tolerance on cheating-
Tom

takeout
09-29-2001, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Tom
60 days is ridiculous. Both men should be banned for life.
there can be no tolerance for cheating.

I totally agree. Sixty days is w-a-a-a-y too soft!

Buffalo Bob
09-29-2001, 06:18 PM
This kind of crap goes on all the time. Canet got caught. And he's stupid to do it the way he did anyhow. Why not give him some sharp workouts on a private training track and a yawner breezer on the main course? That's what everybody else does.

A pro better was asked what his percent win was for total bet over the year and said something around five percent. He was asked why it was so low. He said that it'd be twenty-five percent if it wasn't for the cheating going on. And I don't think he's exagerrating much. That's why I only play for fun and not for any real money. I'm not going to support the crooks.