PDA

View Full Version : Off Tracks

Pell Mell
06-12-2011, 07:15 AM
This may be the wrong place for this comment but, oh well.

This is especially for newbies because if those with experience don't know it by now they will never get it.

One of the very first things I learned over 60 yrs ago was "If it's raining, stay home!"

Which means; Don't ever play sloppy or muddy tracks, PERIOD!

When handicapping, draw a line through races that were run on sloppy or muddy tracks. Do not consider those races in your handicapping and especially the speed figures. I think the spot in the PPs for speed ratings should be left blank if the race was on an off track.

If you never learn anything else, learn this and save yourself a ton of money!;)

magwell
06-12-2011, 09:33 AM
So very true, but on days like yesterday ? Its like you got a hot crazy girlfriend and you know you should stay away from her but ......

Tom
06-12-2011, 09:41 AM
I seldom play an off track if it is like yesterday.

Why bother?
There are lots of fast tracks running every day.

As soon as I saw the track yesterday, I went to Woodbine. It only cost me one winner.

lsosa54
06-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Don't disagree too much but I did hit the Pick 6 plus a few consolations at Santa Anita back in the early 90's on an off track. The 1st 3 races had gone to the front runners and basically no one had changed positions during the race - no one was passing anyone from any position. The track had been sealed and had remained so.

Played races 4 - 9 that way and it worked out. Forget what Sartin software I was using at the time - maybe Synergism. Just focused on 1st fraction and EP.

pandy
06-12-2011, 10:29 AM
If you can spot a bias early on an off track you can get some easy winners, or if you know a horse that loves an off track. But I agree that many horses don't handle it and I usually ignore off track form.

therussmeister
06-12-2011, 10:40 AM
I know people who only play off tracks.

Why should there be no speed figures for off tracks? I get that you don't look at them, but why would you want to eliminate information that you believe is misleading to your handicapping competitors?

parlay
06-12-2011, 10:46 AM
On real dirt an off track offers tremendous opportunity.
Knowledge of breeding and observation of a bias can
lead to some wonderful scores.
I look forward to days full of maiden races on off tracks.
Not afraid to put my insights on the line at generous odds.
To me this is what the game is all about.
Waiting for a fast track, no discernable wind, and proven
runners is for computer geeks who like to see their models work.
Real horse players drool at the mouth for these opportunities

PhantomOnTour
06-12-2011, 10:50 AM
On real dirt an off track offers tremendous opportunity.
Knowledge of breeding and observation of a bias can
lead to some wonderful scores.
I look forward to days full of maiden races on off tracks.
Not afraid to put my insights on the line at generous odds.
To me this is what the game is all about.
Waiting for a fast track, no discernable wind, and proven
runners is for computer geeks who like to see their models work.
Real horse players drool at the mouth for these opportunities
Good point
As a fig guy i can tell you that it pays to toss figs run over a messy track. They are usually big numbers put up by runaway winners on a biased surface, as most sloppy tracks favor speed.
I will be betting against many winners from yesterday at Bel in their next race.

Tread
06-12-2011, 10:55 AM
:1: :2: :3: :5: :11:

Wore bend shoes in the Belmont yesterday.

PhantomOnTour
06-12-2011, 11:15 AM
:1: :2: :3: :5: :11:

Wore bend shoes in the Belmont yesterday.
Where can i find the shoe board online?
Do any tracks post it?

parlay
06-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Good point
As a fig guy i can tell you that it pays to toss figs run over a messy track. They are usually big numbers put up by runaway winners on a biased surface, as most sloppy tracks favor speed.
I will be betting against many winners from yesterday at Bel in their next race.

Some of my best plays have been derived just that way!

onefast99
06-12-2011, 12:04 PM
I seldom play an off track if it is like yesterday.

Why bother?
There are lots of fast tracks running every day.

As soon as I saw the track yesterday, I went to Woodbine. It only cost me one winner.
Was it Ruler in Ice?

Pell Mell
06-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Good point

Thanks, you saved me the trouble of answering post #6.:ThmbUp:

Tread
06-12-2011, 03:01 PM
Where can i find the shoe board online?
Do any tracks post it?

Depends on the track. If you are lucky, they will show you on the live track feed.

Tom
06-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Was it Ruler in Ice?

No, it was the 6th - the Acorn. CJs numbers had the winner showing a better number than the favorite a couple back, which I like. Too bad...would have been a nice hit.

nijinski
06-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Woody Stephens had three of his five Belmont wins on off tracks.

JustRalph
06-12-2011, 05:04 PM
Some of my best days have been on off tracks

I remember before Turfway went to polycrap I would salivate at heavy rain in the area.

Turfway would have standing water on the stretch and all you had to do was punch one button in Equisim and bet. Those were the days

PaceAdvantage
06-13-2011, 12:41 AM
This may be the wrong place for this comment but, oh well.

This is especially for newbies because if those with experience don't know it by now they will never get it.

One of the very first things I learned over 60 yrs ago was "If it's raining, stay home!"

Which means; Don't ever play sloppy or muddy tracks, PERIOD!

When handicapping, draw a line through races that were run on sloppy or muddy tracks. Do not consider those races in your handicapping and especially the speed figures. I think the spot in the PPs for speed ratings should be left blank if the race was on an off track.

If you never learn anything else, learn this and save yourself a ton of money!;)I disagree completely.

exiles
06-13-2011, 12:41 PM
Real horse players drool at the mouth for these opportunities[/QUOTE]

I thought all real horse players were broke.

RaceBookJoe
06-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Not a fan of muddy tracks, but love playing sloppy tracks. Like sloppy tracks even more at the mid to lower level tracks or the lower class levels at the major tracks, just seem to do as well as on a fast track. rbj