PDA

View Full Version : Free Online Horse Racing Magazine?

Dave Schwartz
06-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Would you be interested in subscribing to a free, 4-color, online, horse racing magazine?

That is precisely what I am thinking about building. It would something like this:

http://www.horsestreet.com/BBSImages/ETR-Cover.png

Here is a complete look at THAT magazine:
Early To Rise Magazine (http://www.epaperflip.com/aglaia/viewer.aspx?docid=f793753056514a4faeb57fa20ada1e45 )

I need your help.

This endeavor will incur a significant investment in resources. Before I move forward I need to know that there is truly enough interest in this to move forward.

Specifically, what I need is your opinion in this pool (right here on PA):
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83859&page=1&pp=15

Please vote soon and post your opinion in THIS thread so that other people will see it as well.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

jdhanover
06-11-2011, 09:52 PM
As we have been saying in the other thread... great idea!!!

thaskalos
06-11-2011, 11:00 PM
Dave,

I have looked through the magazine you have provided as an example...and I can't - for the life of me - think of a SINGLE reason why a horseplayer wouldn't want something like this on his favorite game.

Have horseplayers really become THIS cynical?

BIG HIT
06-12-2011, 08:28 AM
I'am in don't know why anybody wouldn't.?

lsosa54
06-12-2011, 11:05 AM
I digress, but as long as it's NOT connected to Michael Masterson. Thought I remembered this guy from way back:

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=MH&s_site=miami&p_multi=MH&p_theme=realcities&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=0EB34421370C4EA2&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM

It's not the full article but "Mark Ford" changed his name to Michael Masterson. He and a few of those named as "panel of experts" in that online mag have been associated with a few "outrageous claims if not outright scam" opportunities in the past.

The Goldcor scam was a pretty neat one for Nadel and Ford:

http://mindbodypolitic.com/2009/04/10/turning-beach-sand-into-gold-the-goldcor-swindle/

Suggested scam for Dave: Can we turn Santa Anita's surface into gold?

gregrph
06-12-2011, 11:24 AM
Dave, I love this idea, especially from you! I'll input my $.02 for what it's worth (probably not even that much!)...

I've been a reader of pa for a few (3-4?) years now, but have not been on in the last 6 months or so with any regularity. Although I love horse racing and have been going to the races since I was a kid, my handicapping basically stinks. I understand some points and try to grasp others but need a way to "put everything together" so to speak. I need a re-vamp.

I enjoy reading p.a.'s message board and come across some great tips or things I would like to remember. What I DON'T like is that fact that I can't tag any message/thread as a favorite to refer back to. Then again I never really looked to see if that was possible!

What would I be looking for in your magazine? Some beginning handicapping articles, along with intermediate and advanced topics. Sources for free or INEXPENSIVE software AND HOW TO USE IT (and make use of the numbers!!!) to start out with. I would DEARLY love to try your software but cannot realistically afford the cost plus justify the recurring monthly data fee that is required. That plus the learning curve involved. I would only be able to devote a few hrs/wk. to "getting up to speed" which is unrealistic. I'll bet there are others here who might be in a similar position.

You also wanted to know about 500-1,000 response rate and why some people answered with no or little interest. I think that a great many CONTRIBUTORS here on the p.a. forum are very advanced/professional handicappers and are very knowledgeable about handicapping or have their own style in place. Maybe they don't think that they will benefit from the information that they would read. Me-the more I read, the more I enjoy and might just learn something! I don't know how many users Mike has registered here but I bet a lot are lurkers (like me!) or they signed up to check out the forum and then never came back. that may also be part of the low response rate.

Anyway, thanks for reading, I'll now return to lurking (and reading!).
Greg

Dave Schwartz
06-12-2011, 04:50 PM
I digress, but as long as it's NOT connected to Michael Masterson. Thought I remembered this guy from way back:

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we...ackval=GooglePM

It's not the full article but "Mark Ford" changed his name to Michael Masterson. He and a few of those named as "panel of experts" in that online mag have been associated with a few "outrageous claims if not outright scam" opportunities in the past.

The Goldcor scam was a pretty neat one for Nadel and Ford:

http://mindbodypolitic.com/2009/04/...oldcor-swindle/

Suggested scam for Dave: Can we turn Santa Anita's surface into gold?

lsosa54,

First, my web guru sent me this link as an example of the magazine software to use.

Second, it has nothing to do with Michael Masterson. I really know nothing of him beyond that he is one of those over-hyping marketing gurus. I am not a fan of his.

Third, was this an unintentional insinuation that I am looking for a way scam to horse players or do you think that is what I am all about?

Tom
06-12-2011, 05:06 PM
My 2 cents - I do not like the format at all and would probably not read it.

Why take internet technology to put out a 1950's product? If I can't print it and take it with me, I don't need it. Stride Mag was like that, and the photos were nice, but the rest of it was not worth the time. This is why I abandoned ATM......can't buy a hard copy and the on line version is of no use to me.

Dave Schwartz
06-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Tom,

You have a good point. Who said you cannot print it?

It SHOULD be available as a PDF as well. (All these online magazines begin as a PDF and are converted to a page-flipping magazine.)

Dave

Dave Schwartz
06-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Greg,

Thanks for your opinion.

For right now the big rush forward on this project has been put on hold. I am not giving it up but before moving forward, I obviously must have multiple sources of gathering sign ups. I actually deluded myself into thinking that we'd get the first 1,000 here, despite what my marketing guy said.

Even though I am not steaming ahead fully (searching for the right person to actually put the magazine together is my first task), the development wheels are still turning.

My plan is to begin some core features - some actually have tentative titles.

The Math Lab: Applying Advanced Math
(I am thinking about forcing a dumbed-down version of these articles for the lay-person as well.)

The Grid: Using Spread Sheets

Pencils Are For More Than Crosswords

Money Management

Software Vendor/Product of the month

The PaceAdvantage Corner -
This is hottest threads of the month)

The HANA Page
(Assuming they are interested)

So, there you have 7 features - probably at least 14 pages per issue.

Dave

Tom
06-12-2011, 05:15 PM
OK, I see you can print.
Might be interested, then.

lsosa54
06-12-2011, 08:31 PM
lsosa54,

First, my web guru sent me this link as an example of the magazine software to use.

Second, it has nothing to do with Michael Masterson. I really know nothing of him beyond that he is one of those over-hyping marketing gurus. I am not a fan of his.

Third, was this an unintentional insinuation that I am looking for a way scam to horse players or do you think that is what I am all about?

My friend Dave, I think you need to lighten up. If I thought you were a scam artist, then I probably wouldn't be a customer - check your New Pace and Improve/Decline customer records and a couple of the emails we've traded.

As for Masterson, I have no use for he and his ilk either. He is more than an overhyping marketing guru. He is a fraud. Maybe your web guru could have used a different example but no big deal.

I was actually trying to insert a bit of humor into you using Masterson as an example of a web mag but I guess it didn't come across that way.

Dave Schwartz
06-12-2011, 08:49 PM
As for Masterson, I have no use for he and his ilk either. He is more than an overhyping marketing guru. He is a fraud. Maybe your web guru could have used a different example but no big deal.

I was actually trying to insert a bit of humor into you using Masterson as an example of a web mag but I guess it didn't come across that way.

Sorry... looked you up, Lou. I should have done that before. My apologies.

(At least I did assume it was unintentional. :blush: )

Dave