PDA

View Full Version : I need help

so.cal.fan
06-10-2011, 12:00 PM
I have a new HP laptop with Norton on it for the next few months. I haven't bought their software.
Problem is pop ups. I can hardly use my computer.
I had spyware on it, it conflicted with Norton, had to take it off.
Another p;roblem, when I run a scan, hardly ever, does anything come up.
What do I do?
Thanks in advance for any tips.
Diane/so.cal.fan

DJofSD
06-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Norton is a resource hog.

When you say pop-ups, are they from Norton or Windows? If windows they are likely from the user account control (UAC). That can be handled by Norton -- that is acutally one feature about Norton that I like.

so.cal.fan
06-10-2011, 12:35 PM
DJ,
Probably Windows. I deleted a lot of the Windows Live stuff, because it was difficult for me, and pop ups every few seconds.
It was hard to even use my computer.
Maybe Norton is automatically deleting spyware, but the popups are driving me crazy.
If I make my settings to strict, then I get a message everytime I hit a website or my mail programs.
I am using Gmail and roadrunner, which are not as easy for me as Outlook Express 6 was.
I downloaded Office 2007, deleted the new Office that came with this computer, I can use 2007 but this computer won't allow OE.

HUSKER55
06-10-2011, 12:40 PM
get rid of norton and use avg for starters. I can not get norton to work for me either.

so.cal.fan
06-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Thanks, Huck,
I'll try that.

wilderness
06-10-2011, 02:01 PM
this computer won't allow OE

Ditch Windoz IE (at least using it).

Add Firefox and then you may also use Mozilla's "Thunderbird email", which should function similar to OE.

Tom
06-10-2011, 06:10 PM
http://securitytango.com/tangocd.php

Great site.
Click on Let's Dance on the left.

Free stuff, works great.

pktruckdriver
06-10-2011, 06:31 PM
http://securitytango.com/tangocd.php

Great site.
Click on Let's Dance on the left.

Free stuff, works great.

SORRY TOM NOT FREE :mad::mad:

Native Texan III
06-10-2011, 07:26 PM
OE (obsolete) has been replaced by Windows Mail. Windows Mail it almost exactly the same as OE, so you should get on with that.

If you set your security too high you will get more pop-up warnings, not less.

Norton is reported to have slimmed down its resource take. If you remove it use the removal software from the Norton website. Then install something free like Comodo Pro or AVG on the default settings. On Comodo, which I use, the pop ups start off high but very soon learn what is OK and you don't get bothered.

dogkatcher
06-10-2011, 11:59 PM
I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials and Firefox, popups don't seem to happen for me currently.

Tom
06-11-2011, 10:28 AM
SORRY TOM NOT FREE :mad::mad:

If you do it yourself, it is free. If you have them make a CD for you, they charge for the labor and CD only.

All the programs are free.

fast4522
06-11-2011, 01:00 PM
Have you computer setup exactly how you like it with all your programs installed and configured how you like. And have someone image the hard drive on 3 DVD's so if anything happens you do not have to pay anyone or reload your favorite programs if you get hosed with a virus. I use Ghost 2003 and love the program.

pktruckdriver
06-11-2011, 01:02 PM
If you do it yourself, it is free. If you have them make a CD for you, they charge for the labor and CD only.

All the programs are free.

I tried them and not sure what you mean do it yourself, make my own program, that would be impossible, and please show me a Really Free Registry Cleaner, not free download, but actually a free program.

Not your everyday scam of a software that scans your computer, and it finds a zillions thingy's wrong with it, but he is the kicker you must pay to have them all removed, that is what your website does to me Tom, please show me otherwise...:confused::confused:

Tom
06-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Did you actually go to the link I said and read it?

Step Two: download the free programs.

Tom
06-11-2011, 10:14 PM
http://securitytango.com/windows.php

judd
06-13-2011, 05:56 AM
get rid of norton and use avg for starters. I can not get norton to work for me either.norton caues me problems years ago--have avg now :ThmbUp:

so.cal.fan
06-13-2011, 11:06 AM
I took Husker's advice and downloaded free AVG. I think I'll purchase it.

Banker's Wife
06-13-2011, 08:18 PM
I have had avg for over 6 yrs. Love it, only thing different now, is they don't have live telephone service to help you out when you encounter a problem ( which is rare), but, I was spoiled, and now, you only have web-service, which is slow. But, the program (if boughten) is superior. Hope this helps others choose too,

JustRalph
06-13-2011, 08:44 PM
wow

Marshall Bennett
06-14-2011, 06:11 AM
Boughten? I remember a Jim Bouton.

forced89
06-17-2011, 12:22 AM
I have ARO 2011 and purchased AVG installed on my HP laptop. I haven't the slightest idea if either is worth the small amount I paid for them. What I do know is that I don't have any problems with pop-ups, response time, etc. So as long as I have no problems I am a happy camper!!

The day I brought the laptop home I removed Norton.