PDA

View Full Version : Pedigree

Brian Flewwelling
11-04-2003, 09:50 AM
When a Horse wins a race Equibase shows its pedigree. Is there a source of that information for horses that have yet to win?

by source, i mean free source!:)

Fleww

BillW
11-04-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Brian Flewwelling
When a Horse wins a race Equibase shows its pedigree. Is there a source of that information for horses that have yet to win?

by source, i mean free source!:)

Fleww
Brian,

Lot's of hits on google. Type "Horse Pedigree". Not sure of the quality.

Bill

cj
11-04-2003, 10:41 AM
http://www.dmtc.com/dmtc98/pedigree/

I know you said free...but this is a great site for anyone else who might be interested. Was free, now $10 a month.

Pace Cap'n
11-04-2003, 10:44 AM
The Del Mar site maintains a pedigree database. You can obtain a 5-generation pedigree for free. Type in the name of the horse in the box at top left of page.

www.pedigreequery.com/index.php?query_type=horse&search_bar=horse&horse=&g=5

Amazin
11-04-2003, 11:20 AM
Brian:

I'm not sure what you mean in your question cause the form or Bris allways lists the Sire,Dam and Grandsire of a horse in a race.
Or are you trying to go beyond that with the Dosage thing?

Here's another good source on Pedigree:

http://thoroughbredtimes.com/sirelists/sirelists.asp

Pace Cap'n
11-04-2003, 11:47 AM
For the mother lode of pedigree related websites, go to

http://letitride.com/

Under "Breeding", select "Pedigree Info".

Brian Flewwelling
11-04-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Amazin
Brian:

I'm not sure what you mean in your question cause the form or Bris allways lists the Sire,Dam and Grandsire of a horse in a race.
Or are you trying to go beyond that with the Dosage thing?

Here's another good source on Pedigree:

http://thoroughbredtimes.com/sirelists/sirelists.asp

I currently construct my Race Day programs from Entries and Results Charts. This makes them free. (after over 1000 hours of playing with my computer.) I don't have a similar free source of info about the parents of horses that have not yet won. (or their colour :))

My handicapping doesn't make much use of that info, but users of my program (my girl friend for instance) might. So i am not prepared to pay for the info.

Thanks to cj and Pace Capn those sites are the same and could be useful to get the basics for individual horses. I will bookmark that page. It seems they have gone to a subscription base, but the basic info seems to be available free on a one horse at a time.

Just checked, can't get info on horses that haven't started yet, but did get a hit on a 'winner'

Fleww

Amazin
11-04-2003, 12:16 PM
My personal handicapping program also cannot handicap a horse if it's a FTS or FTT(first time turf). But I will see a blank where there should be a figure. What I have to do at this point is manually look up the breeding on the horse,I then equate it to horses who get "points" for their performances by seeing if the breeding is conducive to the situation.

I think if you want to incorporate breeding into a handicapping program you have to develop a database when the program sees no reference for a FTS or FTT. I dont think the database would have to be that large,It would only have to include the signigicant sires for a FTS or FTT.I would say there are less than 5% that are significant.If the program cannot reference it there it can then safely ignore crediting the horse.

So my advice would be to gather all the significant sires from various sources and make a database for them.Then you won't have to wonder about whether or not they can beat you.

Brian Flewwelling
11-04-2003, 01:05 PM
Amazin

I am not evaluating horses in my program, just reporting. It would be a bit difficult to check the sire, if i don't know who the sire is. And that is my very little problem, i don't know the sire/dam/damsire.

Fleww

sjk
11-04-2003, 05:02 PM
I have never incorporated pedigree into my Database.In the past had only thought about parsing the winner's pedigree as you have mentioned and never took the time to add it to the parse.

If you are a Youbet user (I use the CD version), the pedigree appears on their program. That information is in an Access database on your computer which you can open and copy records from.

Bubbles
11-04-2003, 09:49 PM
If anyone is looking for the pedigree of a NY-bred, check out nybreds.com. One of the links on the homepage leads to a page with almost all of the New York stallions on record. Type in the mare, and select the number of generations you want.

kenwoodallpromos
11-05-2003, 12:34 AM
Thanks to all for the links!!