06-09-2011, 10:16 AM
You heard it here first...

PaceAdvantage
06-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Alright, so I wasn't first...was beaten by a minute or two:

http://www.drf.com/news/belmont-park-cancels-thursday-card-due-excessive-heat

pandy
06-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Pretty ridiculous. If we have a hot summer what are they going to cancel the Saratoga meet?

BlueShoe
06-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Wimps. So it is a little bit warm today. The California fair circuit, which starts next week, routinely races in blazing heat and does not cancel. Try Pomona in September when it is over 100, and yet Fairplex still races. Guess we Westerners are just tougher than are effete Easterners, as are our horses.

Grits
06-09-2011, 11:38 AM
Pretty ridiculous. If we have a hot summer what are they going to cancel the Saratoga meet?

One could count, literally, on 5 fingers the days Saratoga has been cancelled due to extreme heat in August. No, this isn't ridiculous, its wise, and an indication of NYRA's concern regarding the welfare of their runners and their trainers responsible for them.

On a side note, at what point did the California fairs and Fairplex become the nation's leading circuit? Not recently, if memory serves. Maybe they should take note, horses have difficulty running in 100 degree temperatures.

Jus' sayin'.

skipaway100
06-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Thin card and big carryover? Sounds like they are worried about the Pick 6 getting hit before the weekend.

cj's dad
06-09-2011, 12:14 PM
Behind the common sense decision to cancel, a conspiracy theory rears its' ugly head. :faint:

Thin card and big carryover? Sounds like they are worried about the Pick 6 getting hit before the weekend.

Robert Goren
06-09-2011, 12:18 PM
If it is hot on Saturday, would they cancel?

onefast99
06-09-2011, 12:21 PM
We worked 3 2yo's this morning before the 9am break the heat coming off the track was unbearable for that time in the am. Combine that with no air movement and you get a very uncomfortable day for the horses.

FantasticDan
06-09-2011, 12:23 PM
The oppressive heat will have moved out by Saturday.

onefast99
06-09-2011, 12:28 PM
60%Chance of Rain 75 mostly cloudy.

cj's dad
06-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Of course not; todays canceled races can be made up as (I'm fairly certain) NYRA will be granted an extra race day. Belmont day with its' 3-G1 and 2-G2 events not so easy, if not impossible.

Linny
06-09-2011, 12:47 PM
The week of the Belmont and the NYTimes is just dying to publish a negative racing article. All they'd need is one filly to fall over from the heat and the loonies would be out. probably a prudent move.

Actually, I thought it was a decent card.

PaceAdvantage
06-09-2011, 12:59 PM
The week of the Belmont and the NYTimes is just dying to publish a negative racing article. All they'd need is one filly to fall over from the heat and the loonies would be out. probably a prudent move.I had a similar thought as I mulled over today's decision.

A wise move just days before their biggest race.

The heat will be out of here by tomorrow morning....

jelly
06-09-2011, 01:01 PM
All the Roofers in NY took the day off too. :D

DJofSD
06-09-2011, 01:10 PM
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E02E1D7103FF930A3575BC0A9609C8B 63

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/57783/east-coast-tracks-cancel-because-of-heat

Does any one know if any governing body for T'bred racing uses a HI value as a stardard for cancelling a card?

Tom
06-09-2011, 01:45 PM
All the Roofers in NY took the day off too. :D

Yeah, they were all going to the track! D'oh!:D

Cardus
06-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Behind the common sense decision to cancel, a conspiracy theory rears its' ugly head. :faint:

Calling SkipAway100's idea a "conspiracy theory" is an insult to conspiracy theories.

It's embarrassing, really.

Valuist
06-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Its 95 degrees with 90 percent humidity at Calder every damned day in the summer. Never see them cancel.

JustRalph
06-09-2011, 02:32 PM
I was planning to visit my mailbox here in Baltimore. Canceled due to heat.

Damn! It's hot.

Valuist
06-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Wait til tomorrow. It was 96 degrees here in Chicago yesterday with high humidity. Right now its about 52 degrees and with the wind, feels like about 40. Its heading east.

OTM Al
06-09-2011, 03:10 PM
Its 95 degrees with 90 percent humidity at Calder every damned day in the summer. Never see them cancel.

Difference is the horses there are acclimated to it. Send a Calder horse up to run in the northeast in the dead of winter and he isn't going to be too happy about it.

BlueShoe
06-09-2011, 05:05 PM
On a side note, at what point did the California fairs and Fairplex become the nation's leading circuit? Not recently, if memory serves.
No, but Santa Anita and Hollywood Park are part of the leading circuits. Arcadia is 20 miles west of Pomona, both close to the San Gabriel Mts., and it can sizzle at the Oak Tree meeting. HollyPark tends to be a bit cooler, but even so, on occasion it too can be very hot. With more than a month to go of its meeting, a good chance of seeing a few 90 degree plus days. Post #19 about Calder also makes a good point.

anotherCAfan
06-09-2011, 05:13 PM
No, but Santa Anita and Hollywood Park are part of the leading circuits. Arcadia is 20 miles west of Pomona, both close to the San Gabriel Mts., and it can sizzle at the Oak Tree meeting. HollyPark tends to be a bit cooler, but even so, on occasion it too can be very hot. With more than a month to go of its meeting, a good chance of seeing a few 90 degree plus days. Post #19 about Calder also makes a good point.
It can sizzle at Santa Anita even in the Spring meet. I love going to Hollywood Park for the ocean breeze, but on the rare day in June or July when there is no breeze and no marine layer, uh-oh :eek:

onefast99
06-09-2011, 05:26 PM
This area doesn't see the 100 degree mark until mid July and it is rare it stays around for 3 days.

magwell
06-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Difference is the horses there are acclimated to it. Send a Calder horse up to run in the northeast in the dead of winter and he isn't going to be too happy about it. Have to disagree on that, as horses going from hot to cold they thrive ......

PhantomOnTour
06-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Exxxxxxxxxxxactly....everybody is all concerned for the welfare of the horsies because the heat has come on a Thursday. If it were this hot or hotter on Saturday that Belmont is running no matter what....poor horsies be damned.

duncan04
06-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Have to disagree on that, as horses going from hot to cold they thrive ......

Horses prefer and handle the cold much better.

OTM Al
06-09-2011, 06:48 PM
Horses prefer and handle the cold much better.

Yeah, if they have a good winter coat on they love it. Don't think a horse coming from Florida would have much for that. Either shaved off or never came in.

Cardus
06-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Difference is the horses there are acclimated to it. Send a Calder horse up to run in the northeast in the dead of winter and he isn't going to be too happy about it.

This is my point, too.

It's not as if we have had these two days of heat continuously -- or even intermittently -- for a few weeks.

It has been warmer in New York and on Long Island for the past 10 days, but not like yesterday and today.

The temperature yesterday and today was a significant jump from the nicer, warmer weather we've had more recently.

There has been no way for the horses to acclimate to the last two days, though.

judd
06-09-2011, 07:14 PM

its allways hot in florida--so whats the big deal

benzer
06-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Exxxxxxxxxxxactly....everybody is all concerned for the welfare of the horsies because the heat has come on a Thursday. If it were this hot or hotter on Saturday that Belmont is running no matter what....poor horsies be damned.
Probably right, but the heat did arrive on a Thursday so why not cut the horses some slack? We can always wager another track.

jk3521
06-09-2011, 08:37 PM
Have been to Belmont Stakes days when it was 98 degrees and when it was rainy and 65 degrees, neither day was much fun. There is no place colder on cool days and no place hotter on hot days than Belmont park.

BetCrazyGirl
06-09-2011, 09:15 PM
One could count, literally, on 5 fingers the days Saratoga has been cancelled due to extreme heat in August. No, this isn't ridiculous, its wise, and an indication of NYRA's concern regarding the welfare of their runners and their trainers responsible for them.

On a side note, at what point did the California fairs and Fairplex become the nation's leading circuit? Not recently, if memory serves. Maybe they should take note, horses have difficulty running in 100 degree temperatures.

Jus' sayin'.

It has been in the 100's before when the Hollywood Park has run. Personally I do think tracks should cancel if the temperature is that hot.

alhattab
06-09-2011, 10:13 PM

They ran the day Big Brown was going for the TC, and it was almost as hot as it was today. There's your answer.

magwell
06-09-2011, 10:53 PM
Yeah, if they have a good winter coat on they love it. Don't think a horse coming from Florida would have much for that. Either shaved off or never came in. Within a couple of days they have the winter coat thats how fast it grows in cold weather,and they love the cooler weather.

toussaud
06-09-2011, 11:23 PM
really should not be running in the day time in june -august anyway but that's another post

but if you are going to schedule races in the middle of the day, stop being a sissy and run damnit

pandy
06-09-2011, 11:35 PM
Running horses on a hot day does not hurt the horses as long as they are given water after they run their 90 seconds. Horses are powerful athletes, not infants.

Canceling the races on a hot day is strange because in the 40 years that I've followed racing I've only seen NYRA cancel twice for warm weather and there have certainly been more than two hot days in N.Y. in the past 40 years. The many hot days when they did race I cannot recall there ever being a problem.

Running horses at Santa Anita however is hazardous to a horse's health and well being regardless of the weather conditions.

benzer
06-09-2011, 11:37 PM
really should not be running in the day time in june -august anyway but that's another post

but if you are going to schedule races in the middle of the day, stop being a sissy and run damnit
That does not even make horse sense. Expand on what you are saying.

PaceAdvantage
06-09-2011, 11:39 PM
NYRA has certainly cancelled more than twice in the past 40 years because of heat.

pandy
06-09-2011, 11:51 PM
NYRA has certainly cancelled more than twice in the past 40 years because of heat.

I can only remember two days, one at Saratoga a couple of years ago and today. I'm going on memory but I've put out a tip sheet that's sold at the track and/or news stands every day for almost 30 years and I only remember losing two days because of heat. The other days were because of inclement weather such as snow, wind, etc.

benzer
06-09-2011, 11:56 PM
Running horses on a hot day does not hurt the horses as long as they are given water after they run their 90 seconds. Horses are powerful athletes, not infants.

Canceling the races on a hot day is strange because in the 40 years that I've followed racing I've only seen NYRA cancel twice for warm weather and there have certainly been more than two hot days in N.Y. in the past 40 years. The many hot days when they did race I cannot recall there ever being a problem.

Running horses at Santa Anita however is hazardous to a horse's health and well being regardless of the weather conditions.
We know that the horses can run under hot conditions, good or bad for the horse I'm not qualified to say.

Today races were canceled because of hot temps. They have been canceled before for many weather reasons.

You should know that saying "running horses at Santa Anita is hazardous to a horse's health" is not good for our sport.

So I ask you to please explain that comment.

duncan04
06-10-2011, 12:46 AM
We know that the horses can run under hot conditions, good or bad for the horse I'm not qualified to say.

Today races were canceled because of hot temps. They have been canceled before for many weather reasons.

You should know that saying "running horses at Santa Anita is hazardous to a horse's health" is not good for our sport.

So I ask you to please explain that comment.

Until Santa Anita can get the track right I agree somewhat with his comment. Even with the switchback to dirt they still can't figure it out

toetoe
06-10-2011, 01:15 AM

Jus' sayin'.

Such sniping would not seem to favor. (:Wagging finger.) Any of the New York-bred champs I saw today are welcome to take a shot at the hardknockers at Pleasanton/Santa Rosa.

P.S. Okay if I continue to count numerically ?

PaceAdvantage
06-10-2011, 01:31 AM
I can only remember two days, one at Saratoga a couple of years ago and today. I'm going on memory but I've put out a tip sheet that's sold at the track and/or news stands every day for almost 30 years and I only remember losing two days because of heat. The other days were because of inclement weather such as snow, wind, etc.I could have sworn they canceled at Belmont a couple of years ago because of heat...there was a week where the temperatures consistently flirted with 100 and one day or two where it was above 100....

benzer
06-10-2011, 02:02 AM
Until Santa Anita can get the track right I agree somewhat with his comment. Even with the switchback to dirt they still can't figure it out
Not trying to be a smart *** but are there numbers showing that the Santa Anita track is hazardous to a horse's health and well being regardless of the weather conditions as stated by Pandy?

I don't follow that track so maybe I missed the hazardous conditions?

Jasonm921
06-10-2011, 02:49 AM
I could have sworn they canceled at Belmont a couple of years ago because of heat...there was a week where the temperatures consistently flirted with 100 and one day or two where it was above 100....

I believe you are right.

I didnt see the harm in canceling today. If it was too hot for me to go jogging maybe it was too hot for them to race. I sat in AC, they stand in a hot stall.

Regarding the 2008 Belmont Day. Do you remember the horses cramping up and spazzing out after the races? I do. I believe it was Bafferts filly where they were grabbing bottles of water from the crowd because they had lost water at the track.

Fastracehorse
06-10-2011, 04:45 AM
I believe you are right.

I didnt see the harm in canceling today. If it was too hot for me to go jogging maybe it was too hot for them to race. I sat in AC, they stand in a hot stall.

Regarding the 2008 Belmont Day. Do you remember the horses cramping up and spazzing out after the races? I do. I believe it was Bafferts filly where they were grabbing bottles of water from the crowd because they had lost water at the track.

...being proactive in the manner of helping out a horse in distress.

fffastt

pandy
06-10-2011, 06:49 AM
Benzer, I'm referring to the last Santa Anita meeting which produced abnormally fast times and many fatal breakdowns and other injuries. In my opinion the new dirt track is not fit for racing. Obviously they're working on it and hopefully it will improve.

Tom
06-10-2011, 07:48 AM
Belmont did cancel not to long ago - I remember a thread here about it with a lot of complaints. Just before the Toga meet?

This brings up a question....what if this happend on the last day of the meet?
The pick 6 pools have to be dispersed, but if the cancel, that can't happen.

Grits
06-10-2011, 08:51 AM
This morning its beautiful and much cooler. Nice out.

Surely you guys have some handicapping to work on for today and tomorrow.
. NEXT ;)

NYRA had a live chat last night with "tlg", one can go to the replay and read the transcript.

BlueShoe
06-10-2011, 09:09 AM
The week of the Belmont and the NYTimes is just dying to publish a negative racing article.
Has racing succumbed to the madness of "PC" like every other segment of our society? When the NYRA is concerned about what the NY Times might say, then perhaps it has. Cannot ever recall seeing as many cancellations as we have had in the last couple of years. On a related note, have never seen as many races taken off of the turf and switched to the main, again just in the last two or three years, all over the country, not just NY. It almost seems that if someone so much as spills a cup of coffee on the course it comes off and switches to the main. :rolleyes: Has gotten so bad that it is almost a waste of time to handicap a race for turf the day before unless there is a 100% chance of good weather. How many turf races do we see today with the course rated as soft, or even yielding? Common in past years, not so anymore.

Grits
06-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Not sure its succumbed, but it is extremely cognizant. One term comes to mind, Blue, aside from news publications and other new outlets . . . racing needs more of the browbeating of these guys about as much as one needs a social disease. :faint: The more headlines they can garner, the more harm they bring to the sport. Its a day, now and then, why take the risk, and the tracks are all aware of this risk. It didn't used to be this way, but this fact cannot be ignored today.

PETA