PDA

View Full Version : Master of Hounds (AINT NOTHING BUT A HOUND DOGG)

Robert Fischer
06-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Master of Hounds enters the Belmont Stakes as the most interesting horse.
I don't see him as the best or the most charismatic or any of those superlatives, but he is the most interesting horse in the field from a pure handicapping perspective. Foreign form to analyze, top foreign connections, interesting trip in the Breeders Cup Juvenile Turf @ 2, interesting trip in the UAE DERBY 1900M @ 3, and an absolutely fascinating trip in the Kentucky Derby.

Juvenile Turf = a tough trip in that he was exposed early at the top of the stretch where it was advantageous to have waited until deeper. Did not have the turn of foot to match his more brilliant rivals. Showed some signs(lack of turn of foot, bit of a grinding style and decent long drive) that he would be worth a try on the dirt. Did not stand out in this race.

UAE DERBY- Gritty effort Very nearly held off a very good turf filly who had every advantage. Relatively strong prep race comparable to some of the graded US preps. The fact that it was a game effort at 1900meters was cause for upgrade when comparing to some of the shorter and more speed favoring preps stateside. Filly Khawlah won that race, Master of Hounds had a better performance(and the best of the race). While the time was strong for both horses (6.26K, 6.43MOH) in the last fraction, it was not extremely visually impressive. MoH also took a stride or two to finally change leads.

KENTUCKY DERBY- Master of Hands had a perfect trip early sitting deep in the pocket far enough from the pace to avoid all stress, but close enough to strike. Gomez gave MoH a PERFECT ride, extremely patient without asking before the turn. As the tiring "chasers" bottle-necked Gomez was forced to continue to be patient, give Master of Hounds a breather, and wait until entering the stretch before asking. With 350 yards to go Gomez roused his mount vigorously through traffic for some of the most spectacular looking displays of stretch running. Not only was it visually impressive, it was also impressive by the numbers. With a furlong to go, Master of Hounds was 3rd fastest according to Trakus. With a 16th to go...Master of Hounds was FASTEST. AND.... as he crossed the FINISH LINE, Master of Hounds 35.9 mph was best, while Animal Kingdom crossed the finish line second fastest going at a rate of 35.2 mph. Impressive stuff!
Yet after all this I am not overly excited about Master of Hounds chances.
This trip was a textbook example of traffic causing internal fractions to look and run more impressive than they were. Although he finished 5th, his final time feet/seconds velocity(using trakus) was good for 10th best in the Derby.
The best things that I saw in the Kentucky Derby from Hounds was that he didn't regress from his good UAE Derby, and that he put on a little weight. (He also didn't appear to hesitate to change leads, although that was a little tough to see in traffic.)
However the traffic(drafting, allowing for breathers, and making last run) and the ground saved, helped Master of Hounds a lot to conserve his energy into those short bursts, and those bursts while visually stunning and techically fun to calculate, were not even dominant by any means in the Derby - in other words he was just like several others(some of which ended up well ahead in Velocity metrics)

I think he has one shot when it comes to Animal Kingdom or Nehro = he needs to depend on jockey error from their pilots. And it could happen. What Gomez and "Hounds" need from Velazquez and Nakatani is for those two to wait...wait...wait...wait...
wait...

he needs those two to wait...wait...wait...wait...
wait... (2nd set of "waits" added for emphasis :liar: )

If this race is run too conservatively by the favorites, and they let it become a final 3 or 4 furlong sprint to the wire after an easy gallop, then it opens the doors for Master of Hounds and others.
Animal Kingdom is clearly flat out better than anyone here except for Nehro which he has past-performance edges on, but has yet to race Nehro on a level playing field(however, Animal Kingdom is a worthy favorite between the two).

Master of Hounds however remains INTERESTING. - Remember that his best chance is a one- run sprint to the wire.
However - worth noting that he is Fresh(whatever that's worth) and that his natural aptitude is that of a grinder (remember the UAE DERBY? , AND HIS LACK OF FOOT IN THE JUVY TURF?) - What this means is that he has some unknown form regarding how he'll fare in a grind out race in which Velazquez and Nakatani don't screw up... Maybe he'll be OK?

Blue Collar hero Shackleford figures to work hard and carry the lead a LOT further than most pundits predict... This means a tough pace... a gaped field?? Tiring runners who struggle to make up ground...

GRINDERS?

cj
06-09-2011, 12:39 AM
He also doesn't often drink beer, but when he does, he drinks Dos Equis.

Robert Fischer
06-09-2011, 03:32 AM
Master of Hounds once ran a race backwards...
... he just wanted to see what 2nd place looked like

Robert Goren
06-09-2011, 08:53 AM
I bet that dog in the Derby. His effort could be best described as "passed tired horses. He was never in that race. I thought he ran like he had something wrong with him. I haven't looked at the PPs yet. Has been working out? Does he have any fast WOs?

Spiderman
06-09-2011, 09:05 AM
I bet that dog in the Derby. His effort could be best described as "passed tired horses. He was never in that race. I thought he ran like he had something wrong with him. I haven't looked at the PPs yet. Has been working out? Does he have any fast WOs?
If you view the Derby again, watch his late move. He was strong within last eighth.

No works shown. Don't know how Brits play horses without seeing workouts.

cj
06-09-2011, 10:04 AM
If you view the Derby again, watch his late move. He was strong within last eighth.

No works shown. Don't know how Brits play horses without seeing workouts.

He also benefited from the prevailing bias that day and only rode to a fifth place finish.

PhantomOnTour
06-09-2011, 10:06 AM
He also benefited from the prevailing bias that day and only rode to a fifth place finish.
He was closing along the rail in the stretch...wasn't that the bad part of the track? Not too familiar with the rest of his trip though....was he wide around the turn?

theguarantee
06-09-2011, 10:07 AM
^^Passing tired rivals is over the top, he made a pretty good move and did some weaving through traffic. If he were simply passing tired rivals why was he closing from 8 lengths back to 5.5? I agree though, he sat a perfect trip, did very little running, then made a move that was decent but probably overrated.

Leparoux
06-09-2011, 10:31 AM
He was closing along the rail in the stretch...wasn't that the bad part of the track? Not too familiar with the rest of his trip though....was he wide around the turn?
He was passing some horses but wasn't making up any ground on the winner.

cj
06-09-2011, 10:35 AM

I'll have to watch again, but I don't think he was on the rail.

Shelby
06-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Master of Hounds once ran a race backwards...
... he just wanted to see what 2nd place looked like

OMG :lol::lol::lol:

theguarantee
06-09-2011, 10:59 AM
I'll have to watch again, but I don't think he was on the rail.

As I recall he was off the rail, angled toward it, back out and finally moved completely to the rail for maybe the last 1/16th as he was gaining mildly.

Robert Fischer
06-09-2011, 12:42 PM
VELOCITY DATA
*read ahead it's not all this boring!

THE FOLLOWING VELOCITY MEASUREMENTS
ATTEMPT TO MEASURE MASTER OF HOUNDS
"VISUALLY IMPRESSIVE" STRETCH RUN IN ORDER TO
*"PUT IT TO THE TEST"

*PRIOR TO THE KENTUCKY DERBY, ULTRA-LIGHTWEIGHT
RADIO TAGS WERE INSTALLED INTO MASTER OF HOUNDS'
SADDLECLOTH POCKETS! DATA FROM THIS NEW TECHNOLOGY WAS USED IN COMBINATION WITH SUBJECTIVE OPINION TO LOOK AT SOME "OLD-SCHOOL" TOPICS SUCH AS "THE VISUALLY IMPRESSIVE TRIP"

EACH HORSE WAS CLOCKED AS THEY RAN THROUGH THE STRETCH
(8THPOLE, 16THPOLE, FINISH LINE)

WAS M.O.H. AS FAST AS HE LOOKED??

DATA
EACH HORSE WAS RANKED(IN MPH) AS THAT INDIVIDUAL CROSSED EACH OF 3 POINTS OF CALL (8TH POLE, 16TH POLE, FINISH WIRE)
MASTER OF HOUNDS

8TH POLE .....(1FURLONG TO GO) = 38.3MPH (3RD)
16TH POLE...(.5 FURLONG TO GO) = 37.3 MPH (FASTEST)
@FINISH LINE.. ..........................=.35.9MPH(FASTEST)

FISCHERs NOTESon
John Magnier's
MASTER OF HOUNDS
http://www-deadline-com.vimg.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/CliffsNotes.jpg

MASTER OF HOUNDS... SAT perfect trip early, deep in the pocket
GOMEZ patient...
As the "TIRING CHASERS" bottle-necked...Gomez continued professional handling...
MASTER OF HOUNDS got much appreciated a breather /
enjoyed wait until entering the stretch before asking. (the most efficient/explosive technique)
350 YARDS to... GO! Gomez roused his mount vigorously through traffic = spectacular looking, (and trakus proven)-displays of stretch running ensued.
MASTER OF "GROUNDS"... MOH ran the 5th SHORTEST distance per Trakus...82' LESS than Animal Kingdom.... 109' feet LESS than Nehro
B.A. BATRAKUS "I PITY THA FOO"... M.o.H. finished 5th with lots of horse... ranked 10th using trakus' feet/second velocity... and finished fast...

RUN FOR THE MONEY!... MASTER OF HOUNDS RANKED FASTEST @ KENTUCKY DERBY @ both the 16th pole and the FINISH.

theguarantee
06-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Yeah, based on the ML, he arguably looks like the best value with an actual chance. I still prefer Nehro and I don't really see any other horses that have semi-proved they can do it on or off the pace...I suppose he has yet to prove he actually can "do it" but he's passed plenty of horses so I really don't let it bother me much. I might be getting First Dude'd but I'm rolling with it and I think they are different beasts. MOH is a must use underneath in my opinion.

GaryG
06-09-2011, 01:31 PM
Aidan O'Brian has not won on the dirt since Johannesburg in the 2001 BC.

Robert Goren
06-09-2011, 02:29 PM

No works shown. Don't know how Brits play horses without seeing workouts.I checked, He went back to Ireland after the Derby and returned Tuesday. That explains the no WOs in the PPs. I went back and rewatched the Derby. The race looks better on paper than it did on film. I still don't like him. But I am colder than dry ice right now.

gm10
06-09-2011, 03:33 PM
He's had two fast works each week since he came back from the Derby (came back the same day).
They don't have dirt in Europe, he's been working on wood chips.

Rackon
06-09-2011, 03:36 PM
If he wins will headlines read "Every Dog Has His Day"? or "Invader Masterful in Bemont Upset"?

Blenheim
06-09-2011, 05:36 PM
He's had two fast works each week since he came back from the Derby (came back the same day).
They don't have dirt in Europe, he's been working on wood chips.

Got anything on distance and times?

From what I've read his connections have a FIRST class training facility - ups, downs, left turns, right turns, grass, dirt and differing surfaces including I believe Tapeta. I wouldn't be surprised they have a dirt track. Nor would I wouldn't be surprised this guy has run several six furlong works with maybe a couple of seven furlong works.

I think kinda fun and interesting no one really knows how he has been working.

NO doubt they would have liked to have won the Derby, but I think the Derby was too much to ask first time overseas and all that entails - considering how he ran in the Derby the connections likely considered the Derby a training race for the Belmont. I think they mean business this time out and are going all in - they think they can win this one. Kinda hard to know what kind of condition he is in without any data on his works, nevertheless I figure he will be dead fit.

He is lucky in one respect as the 90 - 100 degree temperatures will pass before race time. Were he to race under those hot and blistering conditions, I don't think he would fare too well. However, the weather looks to be in the 70 - 80 degree range, just right.

Robert Fischer
06-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Gary, pretty sure Master of Hounds won some kind of award in Ireland

.... for his game face :lol:

BERNARDINI overheard bragging to MASTER of HOUNDS about his famous partner 'Z'
........."my girlfriend knows DRESSAGE!" :)

HOUNDS right back at BERNARDINI:
"well...., im gonna teach her UN-DRESSAGE!!!!" :cool:

If he wins will headlines read "Every Dog Has His Day"? or "Invader Masterful in Bemont Upset"?
??
ask GO-GO.

MASTER OF HOUNDS is always quick to respond to jockey Garrett Gomez... via Twitter! :liar:

PhantomOnTour
06-09-2011, 06:14 PM
Ouch man! I like MOH but a win is probably too much to root for. Be happy if he hits the board, but I think his 10-1ML will be coming down some.
Will be interesting to see how the crowd bets Macho Man, MOH, Santiva and Brilliant Speed...all 10-1 or 15-1 ML.

olddaddy
06-10-2011, 12:31 PM
The Hound appears to be 2/3 choice in early Brooklyn-Belmont DD's.

Spiderman
06-10-2011, 01:03 PM

That would be better than MMM winning and the Village People resurrected to sing, "Macho, Macho Man"

overthehill
06-10-2011, 01:21 PM
FWIW on william hill line Master is a narrow 3rd choice at 5-1 behind nehro. Brilliant Speed is a surprising 9-1. My thoughts on Master is that he is better on dirt than turf so their best shot is american classics. Cant help but think that if the horse were legitamate there would be a solid english rider working him and on him for the race as well.

toussaud
06-10-2011, 03:28 PM
this horse is still eligable for NW1x races

right now he's 4 to 1. getting crushed. i am O-U-T

Robert Fischer
06-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Cant help but think that if the horse were legitamate there would be a solid english rider working him and on him for the race as well.

raceJockey = maybe that can be said before the Kentucky Derby (maybe... although Gomez likely ranks quite high by the O'brien barn among American Classic jockeys)..., however given that they already ran the Derby, and were very pleased with Gomez' ride in the derby, and the response that Hounds showed Gomez, there is little to be gained from that specific angle here IMO.
workout jockey= if Gomez worked him then the point is moot, then beyond that there could be some insight to gain here, but you would need a great deal of insight into the process, or else it would be haphazard speculation.

JOEYS
06-10-2011, 03:54 PM
this horse is still eligable for NW1x races

right now he's 4 to 1. getting crushed. i am O-U-T

Where do you see this? Its not on the DRF tote.

Hoofless_Wonder
06-10-2011, 05:29 PM
With under 20 minutes until the Brooklyn, MOH is a STRONG second choice in the Brooklyn/Belmont double, with payoffs on two of the five horses almost as low as Animal Kingdoms. Looks like he'll be 7/2 to 4-1 tomorrow....

Robert Fischer
06-10-2011, 05:56 PM
With under 20 minutes until the Brooklyn, MOH is a STRONG second choice in the Brooklyn/Belmont double, with payoffs on two of the five horses almost as low as Animal Kingdoms. Looks like he'll be 7/2 to 4-1 tomorrow....
INTERESTING

Greyfox
06-10-2011, 06:11 PM
I checked, He went back to Ireland after the Derby and returned Tuesday. .

A question re: Quarantine
I thought that horses shipping in from overseas had to be quarantined for a period of time. Is that still the case? If so how long?

riskman
06-10-2011, 06:31 PM
MOH arrived in New York on Tuesday, spending two days in quarantine at Aqueduct, before being vanned to Belmont Park for the first time Thursday. MOH had one-mile canter on the Belmont Park main track.

Greyfox
06-10-2011, 06:36 PM
MOH arrived in New York on Tuesday, spending two days in quarantine at Aqueduct, before being vanned to Belmont Park for the first time Thursday. MOH had one-mile canter on the Belmont Park main track.

Thankyou for clearing the Quarantine question up.
I'm not sure that's the smartest way to prep a horse for a big race.

gm10
06-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Got anything on distance and times?

From what I've read his connections have a FIRST class training facility - ups, downs, left turns, right turns, grass, dirt and differing surfaces including I believe Tapeta. I wouldn't be surprised they have a dirt track. Nor would I wouldn't be surprised this guy has run several six furlong works with maybe a couple of seven furlong works.

I think kinda fun and interesting no one really knows how he has been working.

NO doubt they would have liked to have won the Derby, but I think the Derby was too much to ask first time overseas and all that entails - considering how he ran in the Derby the connections likely considered the Derby a training race for the Belmont. I think they mean business this time out and are going all in - they think they can win this one. Kinda hard to know what kind of condition he is in without any data on his works, nevertheless I figure he will be dead fit.

He is lucky in one respect as the 90 - 100 degree temperatures will pass before race time. Were he to race under those hot and blistering conditions, I don't think he would fare too well. However, the weather looks to be in the 70 - 80 degree range, just right.

No, there is only limited workout data in Europe. Especially from private yards like Ballydoyle and Godolphin.
I don't think they have a dirt surface there but I've never been so I don't know for sure.

He looks to be one of the main players, agreed.