PDA

View Full Version : Belmont Steaks

Teach
06-08-2011, 02:13 PM
As I recall, I had the New York sirloin. She had the filet mignon. The meal was excellent, especially the steaks. That along with a baked potato, a salad with Roquefort dressing, a beer, and pie a la mode and coffee for dessert.

That evening, I was having dinner with a young woman whom I had met through her brother.

It all began one late-spring day in 1968. I was having lunch in the Manhasset (NY) High School cafeteria when one of the student-teachers happened by. "Mind if I join you?" Alan asked. I remember saying, "Sure." I recall that Alan and I were talking about teaching when -- out of the blue -- Alan asks, "Would you be interested in dating my sister?" I must admit I was taken aback. At first blush, I was reluctant. For one, I had experienced my share of disappointing blind dates. Secondly, I wasn't sure I wanted to get involved with dating a student-teacher's sister. Yet, when Alan pulls this picture out of his wallet and shows it to me, my thinking quickly changed. The picture I was shown was that of an attractive, lithe-looking blonde.

Seconds later, I gave the picture of his sister (her name was Janet) back to Alan and said, "Yeah, I'd be happy to call your sister." I then said, "Do you have a telephone number?" Alan then proceeded to give me their telephone number. He told me that his family lived in the town of Inwood, not far from the JFK Airport.

About a week later, I called Janet. She sounded pleasant. I asked her if she'd like to go to Belmont Park that Saturday afternoon for the Belmont Stakes. She said, "Yes." I remember saying, "Great! I'll pick you up Saturday about 1 p.m." I then asked directions to her house.

That Saturday, I drive down to Inwood (I was renting an apartment in New Hyde Park, NY). I'm full of anticipation. Who could ask for anything more? Beautiful weather. Beautiful date. Seats in the clubhouse. The Belmont Stakes. I'm in "horsey heaven"!

Well, when I reach Janet's house, I can't wait to meet her. Just the thought of her picture had me drooling. I'm thinkin' every guy in the clubhouse is gonna be staring at her. I ring the doorbell. She opens the door. My mouth drops. There must be some mistake. I even looked at the house number again to be sure I was in the right place. Yeah, it's the right house alright.

The next thing I remember saying was, "Janet" (somehow thinking this might be an older sister). No such luck. "Yes," she said. "You must be Walt," she added. I gotta tell you my outside couldn't show what my inside was feeling. This must be some cruel joke. This young woman I was taking to the Belmont Stakes had to be some forty to fifty pounds heavier than her picture. I'd like to say she was Rubenesque. Pleasantly plump. However, that might have been too complimentary. Hey, all I could do was grin and bear it. All I can say was that this young woman -- in no way, shape (the operative word) or form -- resembled the picture I was shown of her by her brother.

Moments later, I helped Janet into my car and we headed north toward Elmont, NY. As I looked over at Janet, I couldn't help but think, "How do I get myself into these situations?" Oh, about a half-hour or so later we arrived at Belmont Park. We found our seats in the clubhouse. I have to admit that the day wasn't what I had hoped for, both dating-wise and gambling-wise. I remember having a few beers to try and drown my sorrows.

When it came time for the Belmont Stakes, I didn't have the winner who happened to be Stagedoor Johnny with Heliodoro Gustines. After the races, I took Janet to a nearby steak house (I believe, appropriately enough, it was called "Belmont Steaks"). As cited, we had an excellent meal. After we finished dinner, I suggested we go back to my apartment. Janet said, "OK." In the back of my mind I'm thinking, "Maybe I can salvage this day with what I label (hey, I'm a former teacher): "extra-curricular activities."

Well, that evening at my apartment I tried everything. Frankly, it was like dealing with a sumo wrestler. Yet, I tried. I plyed Janet with a few drinks. I tried some mood music. I turned the lights down. I put my arm around her (I frankly didn't have the wing-span to get to her other shoulder).

Yet, every time I made advances Janet morphed into an ice cube. What would Tony Soprano say, "Fuhgettaboutit!" About one in morning (I was totally exhausted) I took Janet home and said "good-bye." As I was driving back to my apartment, I kept thinking, "...and I had such high hopes." It was like that even-money shot who couldn't lose...and ended up fifteen lengths behind at the wire. As I looked back on that day in early June, 1968, I have to stay that the best part of the whole day were: those Belmont steaks.

toetoe
06-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Prof,

It's marvelous that you are reminded of this story every year. I want to know how your colleague explained that picture.

Senor Gustines later piloted ... Mighty Forego.

Shemp Howard
06-08-2011, 07:40 PM
If Call Me Prince hadn't pushed Forward Pass 3 separate times in that Belmont, Forward Pass would have won by open lenghts.

Guess you can figure out who I was backing.

Thanks for reminding me:(

chickenhead
06-08-2011, 11:49 PM
My dad always calls it roquefort dressing....it seems kind of old timey. Some younger waiters, I can tell sometimes briefly don't know what the hell he is talking about....I've tried to sell him on the merits of saying blue cheese....but he won't.

speaking of dads.......good idea on that little change of mind.