PDA

View Full Version : could it be sloppy for the Belmont?

precocity
06-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Jun 11

Rain / Thunder

73°
56°

70%
got to bet the front runners in the slop but you never know? guess you got to handicap day of? :rolleyes:

PaceAdvantage
06-08-2011, 07:35 PM
I would bet against it...current forecast calls for 30% chance of rain...otherwise mostly cloudy with a high near 75

Lasix67
06-08-2011, 10:12 PM
Now calling for a 50% chance of showers

Valuist
06-08-2011, 11:47 PM
Weather forecasters historically over predict rain. I would plan for a fast track.

calltopost
06-08-2011, 11:58 PM
Can someone educate me please:

What style of runner would a wet track favor? What kind does it work against?

Which horses in the Belmont fall into either category?

Thanks in advance..

Spiderman
06-09-2011, 06:33 AM
Can someone educate me please:

What style of runner would a wet track favor? What kind does it work against?

Which horses in the Belmont fall into either category?

Thanks in advance..

Depends on the variety of 'wet', pedigree and track maintenance. Track Maintenance can either float the track or rake it. Floating is performed by utilizing a level platform at the end of the truck extension and tamps the surface; raking occurs when pointed tines are used to open the surface and the footing becomes deeper. Track maintenance can change the surface from race-to-race. Public is rarely, if ever, informed about these changes. At Aqueduct and Belmont, a depth chart was posted which indicates the depth of running paths from the rail out. It is located near the Information booth, but is not updated during the course of the racing card. Don't know if depth chart is still posted. Best source is to view the tail end of the maintenance trucks, between races.

Floating creates a glib or fast running surface and generally favors early speed. Raking naturally allows for more moisture/depth and will usually be a bias against an early type sustaining pace.

The varying degrees of wet surface: wet-fast, good, muddy and sloppy. Pedigree is an influence on ability. Progeny of the sire, Mr. Prospector are my favorite choice for handling the murkiest surface. Alas, he passed-away. In DRF and Brisnet pps, there are bits of information to indicate wet surface ability: Tomlinson numbers in DRF; mud percentage and Off track numbers in Brisnet.

raybo
06-09-2011, 09:16 AM
At the worst we might see a sloppy track, although there are degrees of sloppiness. While a sloppy track often has a dramatic influence on the order of finish, I tend to think that much of the reason for that is that some horses don't care for the slop hitting them in the face, so E/P and P horses are most affected as they are in close company with others. S horses often are not in a crowd and often wide at critical points so they aren't affected as much.

Sloppy conditions will definitely affect finish order, favoring dominant early and dominant deep closers.

calltopost
06-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Thanks Spidey, Raybo

precocity
06-11-2011, 11:42 AM
looks that way right now?????? :rolleyes:

raybo
06-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Might not just be sloppy, could very well be muddy, if they don't do something drastic, maintenance-wise.

If it is really off, Shack might have the advantage over the other contenders, as he has the outside post. He may decide to stay out there and run wide.

I would expect that there will be more pressure, by the E/Ps and Ps, to get the lead in order to get away from the crowd and all the mud. If so, the early pace might be pretty quick and anyone who tries to stay with that pace will regret it later.

Haven't a clue what the trainers will be telling their jocks, regarding the closers.

Wouldn't want to guess at the winner/money horses, on a truly "off" track.

precocity
06-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Might not just be sloppy, could very well be muddy, if they don't do something drastic, maintenance-wise.

If it is really off, Shack might have the advantage over the other contenders, as he has the outside post. He may decide to stay out there and run wide.

I would expect that there will be more pressure, by the E/Ps and Ps, to get the lead in order to get away from the crowd and all the mud. If so, the early pace might be pretty quick and anyone who tries to stay with that pace will regret it later.

Haven't a clue what the trainers will be telling their jocks, regarding the closers.

Wouldn't want to guess at the winner/money horses, on a truly "off" track.
agreed :ThmbUp:

Tom
06-11-2011, 02:42 PM
If the 6th is any clue, I'd reconsider anything under 10-1.
Suspect 3yos at a new distance on a muddy track.....you're already behind the 8 ball.

JustRalph
06-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Track is muddy and appears to be rail and speed favoring. In the middle of the track they are making no ground at all. Still a steady mist......

thespaah
06-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Track is muddy and appears to be rail and speed favoring. In the middle of the track they are making no ground at all. Still a steady mist......
Just checked latest radar. Rain appears to be about done for the track area. With the cooler temps there will be little evaporation so the track will remain wet for the rest of the day.