PDA

View Full Version : Stay Thirsty in the Belmont?

gm10
06-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Does anyone know? Not been following it closely but he seems to be an intended runner?

Dahoss9698
06-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Yeah he's supposed to run. Should be a factor for 8th.

gm10
06-07-2011, 10:52 AM

Grandson of AP Indy. The dam was a daughter of Storm Bird, as was Birdstone's dam. Hmmmm ... I wonder.

Thx.

OTM Al
06-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Grandson of AP Indy. The dam was a daughter of Storm Bird, as was Birdstone's dam. Hmmmm ... I wonder.

Thx.

I don't.

gm10
06-07-2011, 11:02 AM
I don't.

Neither did I when Birdstone, Da'Tara and Drosselmeyer won! Should have done, on reflection.

OTM Al
06-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Neither did I when Birdstone, Da'Tara and Drosselmeyer won! Should have done, on reflection.

Birdstone was the only other Gr1 winner in that field, so yes, he bore a second look. The other two stunk both before and after. Stay Thirsty is just plain too slow given what else is running in this field. Put him back to Gr3s where he belongs. Repole is only running him because he is a local guy (which is cool) and wants a horse in the race. His perogative but I wouldn't waste a dime on this horse in this spot.

Tom
06-07-2011, 11:25 AM
OK, after that, the rubber band is coming off Saturday.......:D

fiveouttasix
06-07-2011, 11:35 AM
I bet him in the Derby & am now off him! (another reason to take the rubber band off)

KingChas
06-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Stay Thirsty is just plain too slow given what else is running in this field.

Though I will not be as you say wasting a dime on Stay Thirsty.
I do seem to think you are overating what else is running in this field.
Would another 2002 Sarava type winning payoff shock me this year?.......no. ;)

gm10
06-07-2011, 11:40 AM
Birdstone was the only other Gr1 winner in that field, so yes, he bore a second look. The other two stunk both before and after. Stay Thirsty is just plain too slow given what else is running in this field. Put him back to Gr3s where he belongs. Repole is only running him because he is a local guy (which is cool) and wants a horse in the race. His perogative but I wouldn't waste a dime on this horse in this spot.

That's what I meant. The Belmont has too often reminded me that speed is not the only one dimension there is.

The speed that a horse can maintain vs distance, is logarithmic. Once the curve is past a threshold, that curve (=maintainable speed) dives. Think of two logarithmic curves, one is for a fast horse like Smarty Jones. The other one is for a plugger like Birdstone.

The second curve stays far below the first one until the distance reaches a certain point, say 10f: Smarty is simply faster. Then the first curve plunges as Smarty can't really keep up any reasonable speed any more, while the second curve slopes down more gently as Birdstone keeps plugging away.

At some point the two curves cross, and the second horse becomes faster than the first horse. If the race is long enough, the second horse may make up enough ground to win the race.

Each horse has its own curve of course, but I'm pretty sure that curve is influenced by pedigrees. That's why I'm looking at the horse today!

ArlJim78
06-07-2011, 01:02 PM
yes but there are too many other horses in the race whose curves won't be plunging far enough for Stay Thirsty to win the Belmont. he ranks too far behind on ability to make up the difference on supposedly better stamina.

OTM Al
06-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Though I will not be as you say wasting a dime on Stay Thirsty.
I do seem to think you are overating what else is running in this field.
Would another 2002 Sarava type winning payoff shock me this year?.......no. ;)

It should because the long shots have been way overbet in the TC races the last several years. The value actually lies in the shoter price horses these days. Going to need a long run of chalk to get back to a Sarava like payoff.

OTM Al
06-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Each horse has its own curve of course, but I'm pretty sure that curve is influenced by pedigrees. That's why I'm looking at the horse today!

Master of Hounds puts them all to shame on this basis. If you want to go straight pedigree analysis, why go further than that? He's already shown he can run just fine on the dirt. If any benefit from added distance in this field it is him.

gm10
06-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Master of Hounds puts them all to shame on this basis. If you want to go straight pedigree analysis, why go further than that? He's already shown he can run just fine on the dirt. If any benefit from added distance in this field it is him.

I'm not disagreeing with you there ... I'm just trying to find value.

Dahoss9698
06-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Using Birdstone as a basis for Stay Thirsty winning is pretty funny. I'm just happy as a bettor people still think Stay Thirsty is a contender in major races. This isn't the Belmont we've seen in years past.

gm10
06-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Using Birdstone as a basis for Stay Thirsty winning is pretty funny. I'm just happy as a bettor people still think Stay Thirsty is a contender in major races. This isn't the Belmont we've seen in years past.

I don't think that anyone has said that they consider him to be a contender. Personally I'm only looking at him so far, so please contain your excitement a bit longer.

exiles
06-07-2011, 05:49 PM

Mn you're good!!!! I don't like Stay Thirsty in the BEL, either.

OTM Al
06-07-2011, 06:01 PM
I don't think that anyone has said that they consider him to be a contender. Personally I'm only looking at him so far, so please contain your excitement a bit longer.

I really fail to understand the point then. Bet him if you think he's good. I don't, but I'm wrong a lot more than I'm right so who really knows for sure.

gm10
06-07-2011, 06:14 PM
I really fail to understand the point then. Bet him if you think he's good. I don't, but I'm wrong a lot more than I'm right so who really knows for sure.

I was really just wondering if a) he was starting and b) if someone had some more details on him.

Any arguments as to why I am considering him were in response to Dahoss' snide remark that he is a contender for 8th spot. Then again, he also dismissed my suggestion that Master Of Hounds was worth considering for the Derby.

Dahoss9698
06-07-2011, 07:18 PM
I was really just wondering if a) he was starting and b) if someone had some more details on him.

Any arguments as to why I am considering him were in response to Dahoss' snide remark that he is a contender for 8th spot. Then again, he also dismissed my suggestion that Master Of Hounds was worth considering for the Derby.

Master of Hounds was off the board in the Derby right?

Tom
06-07-2011, 11:38 PM
He ran a good race in the Derby, and the horse that was less than 2 ahead of him won the Preakness.

elysiantraveller
06-07-2011, 11:48 PM
It amazes me how people continue to use the derby and the jacked up track it was ran on THE barometer of how we measure these 3YO's.

Tom
06-07-2011, 11:54 PM
Interesting post.
What's it mean?

Dahoss9698
06-08-2011, 12:00 AM
He ran a good race in the Derby, and the horse that was less than 2 ahead of him won the Preakness.

How much money does that win you?

Dahoss9698
06-08-2011, 12:03 AM
It amazes me how people continue to use the derby and the jacked up track it was ran on THE barometer of how we measure these 3YO's.

You can't possibly be talking about Stay Thirsty can you?

Tom
06-08-2011, 12:05 AM
How much did it make for those who bet Shackleford back in his next start? GM said he was wroth considering. Are you telling us that anyone who lost was NOT worth considering? Gues liking ArchArchARch was pretty stupid all along, right?

Get real - you're just trolling tonight. Again.
Practice makes perfect.

Dahoss9698
06-08-2011, 12:17 AM
How much did it make for those who bet Shackleford back in his next start? GM said he was wroth considering. Are you telling us that anyone who lost was NOT worth considering? Gues liking ArchArchARch was pretty stupid all along, right?

Practice makes perfect.

Let's recap. I said Stay Thirsty is a contender for 8th in the Belmont. Gm10 said I dismissed him like I dismissed Master of Hounds chances in the Derby. Master of Hounds finished a suck up 5th.

So I was right. Yet somehow I'm trolling because Gm10 is using a 5th place finish to validate how he was "worth considering?"

The name of the game is making money. But sure, I was wrong about Archarcharch, nice to know you're following my opinion. He only injured himself to the point of being retired during the running of the race. But, I guess it was a stupid opinion. Good thing I made up for it by posting a $114 winner the same day on the board.

You probably posted 114 times that day, so it all evens out.

KingChas
06-08-2011, 12:41 AM
It should because the long shots have been way overbet in the TC races the last several years. The value actually lies in the shoter price horses these days. Going to need a long run of chalk to get back to a Sarava like payoff.

I agree.
Let me rephrase my comment.
Would another Drosselmeyer or Summer Bird type winning payoff shock me this year?........no. :D

elysiantraveller
06-08-2011, 12:45 AM

No he is a pile of filth.

I'm talking about Tom insinuating that MOH is within two lengths of Shackleford in any realistic scenario going a classic route.

I think Animal Kingdom and MOH are both turf horses that can handle dirt. If the pace is fair/honest in the Belmont I don't think either of these have a chance unless Shackleford is truly distance limited. Any other race this season between 8-10 furlongs Shackleford dominates these horses unless they get help.

elysiantraveller
06-08-2011, 12:47 AM

Basically, if people are using the Derby, in anyway, to justify anything... I think they are idiots...

Dahoss9698
06-08-2011, 12:52 AM

I'm talking about Tom insinuating that MOH is within two lengths of Shackleford in any realistic scenario going a classic route.

I think Animal Kingdom and MOH are both turf horses that can handle dirt. If the pace is fair/honest in the Belmont I don't think either of these have a chance unless Shackleford is truly distance limited. Any other race this season between 8-10 furlongs Shackleford dominates these horses unless they get help.

My bad, I read it wrong. I pretty much agree with what you are saying. I think Nehro has a good chance, although he's not a winning machine, but I don't give MOH much chance.

KingChas
06-08-2011, 12:56 AM
Basically, if people are using the Derby, in anyway, to justify anything... I think they are idiots...

That's a pretty vague comment E.

I agree Dahoss , Nehro has a hell of a chance.
The price=value................?
It's a wait & see situation for me. ;)

toussaud
06-08-2011, 01:00 AM
willing to bet good money nehro won't hit the board.

KingChas
06-08-2011, 01:02 AM

In regards too....(Enter your horse here_______________.)

elysiantraveller
06-08-2011, 01:06 AM
I hate the fact Nehro is winning-averse. This horse should be dropping down and picking up a win before trying this level again. That said he now probably wins by 5 for fun.

It is going to boil down to Shackleford getting the distance or not... if he can't your options are a 3/2 AK or a 9 or 10/1 MOH. I would take the latter.

Nehro for second. :D No matter what happens.

Dahoss9698
06-08-2011, 01:08 AM

Why don't you think he'll hit the board?

KingChas
06-08-2011, 01:14 AM
Why don't you think he'll hit the board?

It looks like another hit and run post............... :lol:

KingChas
06-08-2011, 01:48 AM
This horse should be dropping down and picking up a win before trying this level again.

Take a good look at the PP's.......this pertains to the % of the field.

For example MOH per DRF weakness's;

"If he's at least close to good enough, he still may not be all that good. He's still eligible for an entry-level allowance, and he didn't beat much in his lone win. The UAE Derby field was all right but nothing extraordinary."

Nitro
06-08-2011, 03:59 AM
I'm talking about Tom insinuating that MOH is within two lengths of Shackleford in any realistic scenario going a classic route. I guess you missed the final 1/16th in the the KY Dby (at the classic distance of 1 1/4m) !

I think Animal Kingdom and MOH are both turf horses that can handle dirt. If the pace is fair/honest in the Belmont I don't think either of these have a chance unless Shackleford is truly distance limited. Any other race this season between 8-10 furlongs Shackleford dominates these horses unless they get help. I for one would sure appreciate it if you would continue this type rhetoric right up to post time, and also why not bet the farm on Shackleford. This way those of us who recognize real class might be able to squeeze some more value out of this race.

I’m not sure how you can possibly measure Shackleford’s loss at 9F in the FL Dby as dominating, or its even bigger loss in the KY Dby at 10f dominating. Apparently you’re ignoring the only reason why it hung on and won at 9 1/2 f at Pimlico. If you think for a minute that “Big Sandy” at 12f offers the same conditions, you’re greatly mistaken. It won’t be a question of getting the distance. They will all (hopefully) finish the race. Shackleford’s fractions would have to be slower then it’s ever run before in order to win this race. If you think it’ll wire this field at 12f then by all means send it in!

BTW classy horses can run well on any surface, and I believe we will all see a dominating win and it won’t be Shakleford in the Winner’s Circle. Just one player’s humble opinion – take it for whatever its worth.

PaceAdvantage
06-08-2011, 04:20 AM
A lot of people were laughing at me when I picked Shackleford to win the Preakness.

Most if not all of the major "name" handicappers dismissed Shackleford out of hand in the Preakness, based upon their rock-solid opinion that the Derby exposed his distance limitations in an incontrovertible manner.

I'm not saying Shack will win the Belmont (I'll let you know who I like Friday night).

I'm just saying "Be careful out there."

precocity
06-08-2011, 06:49 AM
A lot of people were laughing at me when I picked Shackleford to win the Preakness.

Most if not all of the major "name" handicappers dismissed Shackleford out of hand in the Preakness, based upon their rock-solid opinion that the Derby exposed his distance limitations in an incontrovertible manner.

I'm not saying Shack will win the Belmont (I'll let you know who I like Friday night).

PA YOU GOING TO POST YOUR PICS BEFORE THE BELMONT? AND DO YOU THINK Santavia HAS A SHOT? :cool:

Tom
06-08-2011, 07:37 AM

I did not insinuate anything. I stated a fact. MOH was withing two of Shackleford in the Derby. Your view of the Derby never entered my mind.
btw, some "idiots" here used the Derby to land on Shackleford in the Preakness and caught a nice price. Did you?

Tom
06-08-2011, 07:41 AM
The name of the game is making money.

You keep saying that, but here you are, in every thread, making an eHole of yourself arguing with people about their opinions or questions, then, when challenged, you suddenly have to run off to handicap or change the subject to get of it.

You play more games than horse racing.

elysiantraveller
06-08-2011, 08:37 AM
Take a good look at the PP's.......this pertains to the % of the field.

For example MOH per DRF weakness's;

"If he's at least close to good enough, he still may not be all that good. He's still eligible for an entry-level allowance, and he didn't beat much in his lone win. The UAE Derby field was all right but nothing extraordinary."

Agreed but one is going to be 3/1 and one is going to be 8/1.

KingChas
06-08-2011, 10:22 AM
Agreed but one is going to be 3/1 and one is going to be 8/1.

I see your point. ;)

Dahoss9698
06-08-2011, 10:28 AM
You keep saying that, but here you are, in every thread, making an eHole of yourself arguing with people about their opinions or questions, then, when challenged, you suddenly have to run off to handicap or change the subject to get of it.

You play more games than horse racing.

I'm in every thread? Have you seen your post count? The truth is you're the one that runs away when you can't back up your horrendous opinions.

I'm discussing races. There was no reason for me to give an assement on 13 various trotters, thoroughbreds and QH's from around the country and you know it. I don't need to prove my knowledge to anyone.

I give my opinion and I can always back it up. I think I've proven myself enough over the years and the only people who seem to question my knowledge are the real losers of the place. You don't like my approach, whatever, put me on ignore like you've threatened for years.

Judging by the pm's I get, enough people seem to value what I have to say when it comes to races. I'm sure people are interested in your weekly whines, so as I said it all evens out.

horses4courses
06-08-2011, 10:50 AM
My bad, I read it wrong. I pretty much agree with what you are saying. I think Nehro has a good chance, although he's not a winning machine, but I don't give MOH much chance.

I disagree about Master Of Hounds.
True, he never looked like winning the Derby, but the horse had run only one race since Breeders' Cup. That prep was in Dubai, where he ran a huge race - having been off since November.
I don't think he was ready for a top effort at CD, and I think he will run a much better race on Saturday.
The concern I have about him is tactical speed, which you need in the Belmont.
If he doesn't get too far back early, and can lay reasonably close to a decent pace, I see him running strong at the end - when most others have had enough.
He's no cinch to win, that's for sure, but leave him out of exotics at your peril!

Tom
06-08-2011, 11:15 AM
I give my opinion and I can always back it up. I think I've proven myself enough over the years and the only people who seem to question my knowledge are the real losers of the place

Never questioned your knowledge, just your personality. :D

Dahoss9698
06-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Never questioned your knowledge, just your personality. :D

Coming from a miserable prick like yourself, that's a compliment.

Tom
06-08-2011, 11:28 AM
Guess we've passed the discussion phase.

Robert Fischer
06-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Stay Thirsty will need to overcome his tendency to flatten out while stretching out! He also needs this to happen in a fast, tiring, grinding, but not collapsing pace scenario(not necessarily what I am predicting as likely - but simply what Stay Thirsty would "need" for his best chances)...

Tough situation.

Stay Thirsty - the Blue Blood Pedigree

This horse has a really nice pedigree on paper. The downside is his owner is known as having deep pockets, and is known for spending money on fast training sales. I just know logical trends like this and seldom follow each hot baby, but If I had the info, I'd be more confident in the horse if I found out that it didn't sprint at ALL in the training sales, or even if they(their top horseman) had simply watched it GALLOP enough to note hat he carried forward the key traits, and had no defects... - The point being that you don't purchase a dream pedigree like that for a speedy baby --> you purchase a dream pedigree like that so that you can bring the colt along SLOWLY for a possible classic distance horse that DEVELOPS(as opposed to a juvy champ), and you pay all that money because these well bred horses are supposed to help sum-up the breeding stock you are developing! Anyway you have to be wary about pedigrees/ situations like that..

keithw84
06-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Stay Thirsty will need to overcome his tendency to flatten out while stretching out! He also needs this to happen in a fast, tiring, grinding, but not collapsing pace scenario(not necessarily what I am predicting as likely - but simply what Stay Thirsty would "need" for his best chances)...

Tough situation.

Stay Thirsty - the Blue Blood Pedigree

This horse has a really nice pedigree on paper. The downside is his owner is known as having deep pockets, and is known for spending money on fast training sales. I just know logical trends like this and seldom follow each hot baby, but If I had the info, I'd be more confident in the horse if I found out that it didn't sprint at ALL in the training sales, or even if they(their top horseman) had simply watched it GALLOP enough to note hat he carried forward the key traits, and had no defects... - The point being that you don't purchase a dream pedigree like that for a speedy baby --> you purchase a dream pedigree like that so that you can bring the colt along SLOWLY for a possible classic distance horse that DEVELOPS(as opposed to a juvy champ), and you pay all that money because these well bred horses are supposed to help sum-up the breeding stock you are developing! Anyway you have to be wary about pedigrees/ situations like that..

I don't really think Stay Thirsty is that good but there's a few things I can't ignore: A.P. Indy in his pedigree, and he's been working out at Belmont for the last few weeks (including a bullet FWIW).

For a little gravy, he's trained by Pletcher (won the Belmont in 2007 with Rags to Riches).

Saratoga_Mike
06-08-2011, 10:42 PM
This horse has a really nice pedigree on paper. The downside is his owner is known as having deep pockets, and is known for spending money on fast training sales. I just know logical trends like this and seldom follow each hot baby, but If I had the info, I'd be more confident in the horse if I found out that it didn't sprint at ALL in the training sales, or even if they(their top horseman) had simply watched it GALLOP enough to note hat he carried forward the key traits, and had no defects... ..

http://www.fasigtipton.com/media/ee/docs/undertack022610.pdf

Hip 119

Robert Fischer
06-08-2011, 10:52 PM
http://www.fasigtipton.com/media/ee/docs/undertack022610.pdf

Hip 119

not sure if i am reading that right, but it looks like they had him run a 10.4 second furlong for the sale ?

Saratoga_Mike
06-09-2011, 08:09 AM
not sure if i am reading that right, but it looks like they had him run a 10.4 second furlong for the sale ?

Correct.

mostpost
06-10-2011, 12:49 AM

Practice makes perfect.
$287.00 Thank you very much. ($5 exacta box)
Shackleford and Nehro $10 exacta box in Belmont. Maybe $2 box to include Animal K.

mostpost
06-10-2011, 12:55 AM
Let's recap. I said Stay Thirsty is a contender for 8th in the Belmont. Gm10 said I dismissed him like I dismissed Master of Hounds chances in the Derby. Master of Hounds finished a suck up 5th.

So I was right. Yet somehow I'm trolling because Gm10 is using a 5th place finish to validate how he was "worth considering?"

The name of the game is making money. But sure, I was wrong about Archarcharch, nice to know you're following my opinion. He only injured himself to the point of being retired during the running of the race. But, I guess it was a stupid opinion. Good thing I made up for it by posting a $114 winner the same day on the board.

You probably posted 114 times that day, so it all evens out.

I don't see the Master of Hounds love either. He's eligible for non winners other than. He's had one race on dirt in which he finished fifth beaten five and a half. True he did run around a 24 second last quarter, but so did Animal Kingdom. Even Shackleford ran a 25 1/5 after setting all the pace.

mostpost
06-10-2011, 01:09 AM

I'm sure you are aware that it is a fallacy that the longer distance of the Belmont favors closers. Nine of the last twenty two have been won by a horse which was within two lengths of the lead after a half mile. Fifteen have been within four. Only three winners have been as much as nine lengths behind-Jazil, Victory Gallop and Editors Note. Therefore, I like Shackleford to repeat his Preakness triumph. It doesn't look like there is much speed besides him and I like his chances to cruise on the lead and hold on. I like Nehro for second because I think he will attend the p[ace more closely than Animal Kingdom.

This is what I will be betting. (It is a bit different from what I posted above.)
$15 exacta Shackleford over Nehro. $5 exacta Nehro over Shackleford. $2 exacta box Shackleford, Nehro and Animal Kingdom.

Who knows if that's a winner. I'm only infallible in "Off Topic General" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

gm10
06-10-2011, 05:34 AM
I'm sure you are aware that it is a fallacy that the longer distance of the Belmont favors closers. Nine of the last twenty two have been won by a horse which was within two lengths of the lead after a half mile. Fifteen have been within four. Only three winners have been as much as nine lengths behind-Jazil, Victory Gallop and Editors Note. Therefore, I like Shackleford to repeat his Preakness triumph. It doesn't look like there is much speed besides him and I like his chances to cruise on the lead and hold on. I like Nehro for second because I think he will attend the p[ace more closely than Animal Kingdom.

This is what I will be betting. (It is a bit different from what I posted above.)
$15 exacta Shackleford over Nehro. $5 exacta Nehro over Shackleford. $2 exacta box Shackleford, Nehro and Animal Kingdom.

Who knows if that's a winner. I'm only infallible in "Off Topic General" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree with you up to a point, but I'd be very surprised if AK sat as far off the pace as he did in the Preakness.

gm10
06-11-2011, 06:49 PM

You were one length away from becoming my signature provider.

Tom
06-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Dos Equis all around.

Stay Thirsty, my friends!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Funny thing, GM, you and Al talking about him got me looking harder at him an I ended up using him. In fact, he was the only one I used that hit the board!

cj
06-11-2011, 06:58 PM

I'm sure he could say similar about Master of Flounders...errr...Master of Hounds.

sonnyp
06-11-2011, 07:03 PM
I'm sure he could say similar about Master of Flounders...errr...Master of Hounds.

how about MMM ? what excuse today and who gets fired now ?

gm10
06-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Dos Equis all around.

Funny thing, GM, you and Al talking about him got me looking harder at him an I ended up using him. In fact, he was the only one I used that hit the board!

He ran a good one.
My main bet was him to win, so I didn't get much out of it in the end.

Funny thing is, now that I look at it, the winner did deserve consideration. Had form on the slop, beating Toby's Corner. I'm not saying he'd been my pick, but I should have been more aware of him.

OTM Al
06-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Animal Kingdom was by far the best in the race. Not sure how well you could see it on tv, but Johnny V was coming off that horse at the start. Fantastic job getting as close as he did. Have proposed a 2 mile match race between Drosselmeyer and Ruler on Ice. That way one of them will be sure to win again....

bks
06-11-2011, 10:03 PM
Animal Kingdom was by far the best in the race.

100% agree.

CincyHorseplayer
06-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Dos Equis all around.

I thought that that was the "Most interesting man in the world" aboard Stay Thirsty!!:D

Tom
06-11-2011, 10:16 PM
AK best in the race?
Not from my seat. He was looking for a bench in the stretch.

cj
06-11-2011, 10:19 PM
I guess it is possible he might have been best, but I don't buy it. Far and away best? Ummm, no way in hell.

Dahoss9698
06-11-2011, 11:09 PM

He definitely ran a lot better than I expected. I'm not going to get them all right. Still was a nice day nonetheless.

Has your 5 star play crossed the finish line yet?

PhantomOnTour
06-12-2011, 09:20 AM
What we have in this thread is GM10 inquiring about Stay Thirsty's status for the Belmont (okay...i say he was half touting the colt, but whatever)and some other folks taking the time out of their day to shame him and all but laugh at what he posted.
Well, the colt ran a nice ran and got 2nd. You think GM10 would get a few kudos by those who trashed Stay Thirsty, but that's too much to ask for ain't it? It's a tough game and we all pick bad horses (Strike The Bell in the Just A Game is one of mine) so i think a lil credit is due to GM10.

Toussaud...nice call on keeping Nehro out of the money.

Dahoss9698
06-12-2011, 02:22 PM
What we have in this thread is GM10 inquiring about Stay Thirsty's status for the Belmont (okay...i say he was half touting the colt, but whatever)and some other folks taking the time out of their day to shame him and all but laugh at what he posted.
Well, the colt ran a nice ran and got 2nd. You think GM10 would get a few kudos by those who trashed Stay Thirsty, but that's too much to ask for ain't it? It's a tough game and we all pick bad horses (Strike The Bell in the Just A Game is one of mine) so i think a lil credit is due to GM10.

Wow...

Horseplayers get our credit at the windows when we cash. That should be enough. What kind of credit would be sufficient enough here for asking about a horse?

Spalding No!
06-12-2011, 03:07 PM
Wow...

Horseplayers get our credit at the windows when we cash. That should be enough. What kind of credit would be sufficient enough here for asking about a horse?

One of the good things about Stay Thirsty losing this sloppy, mile and one half, merry-go-round Belmont Stakes in valiant fashion is that he'll continue to burn money in the upcoming 3yo stakes.

However, the best part will be when Repole and Pletcher opt for the Jim Dandy over the Haskell, the Cigar Mile over the BC/Clark, and winter at Aqueduct over Gulfstream next season.

You know, because the horse only runs well in NY.

Casino
06-12-2011, 03:10 PM
One of the good things about Stay Thirsty losing this sloppy, mile and one half, merry-go-round Belmont Stakes in valiant fashion is that he'll continue to burn money in the upcoming 3yo stakes.

However, the best part will be when Repole and Pletcher opt for the Jim Dandy over the Haskell, the Cigar Mile over the BC/Clark, and winter at Aqueduct over Gulfstream next season.

You know, because the horse only runs well in NY.

:lol: Classsic!Keep burning the money....just like Nehro!

PaceAdvantage
06-13-2011, 12:25 AM
You were one length away from becoming my signature provider.I love it when people are so quick to jump on a comment that doesn't pan out...all the other winner's he's picked, including some monsters surely wouldn't qualify as a signature for you, now would they?

Only the time he gets it wrong... :rolleyes:

gm10
06-13-2011, 09:24 AM
I love it when people are so quick to jump on a comment that doesn't pan out...all the other winner's he's picked, including some monsters surely wouldn't qualify as a signature for you, now would they?

Only the time he gets it wrong... :rolleyes:

Maybe I was only joking? If I really wanted one of his comments that are wrong or don't pan out as my signature, I could probably have a different one every day.

thaskalos
06-13-2011, 01:40 PM

More than a little credit is due to gm10, IMO...because, not only did he mention Stay Thirsty for the Belmont, but he also picked Animal Kingdom to win the Kentucky Derby...AND he predicted the winning Derby exacta COLD.

It was gm10 - and gm10 ALONE - who was responsible for Team Zenyatta's win in this board's handicapping contest...and it's about time his handicapping prowess got recognized.

Gm10 is an EXCELLENT handicapper...and no one knows this better than I!

iceknight
06-13-2011, 02:28 PM
More than a little credit is due to gm10, IMO...because, not only did he mention Stay Thirsty for the Belmont, but he also picked Animal Kingdom to win the Kentucky Derby...AND he predicted the winning Derby exacta COLD.

It was gm10 - and gm10 ALONE - who was responsible for Team Zenyatta's win in this board's handicapping contest...and it's about time his handicapping prowess got recognized.

Gm10 is an EXCELLENT handicapper...and no one knows this better than I!

Hi,
I am a newbie here and new to racing. I made good at preakness (1st race ever) but lost most of it at the Belmont Stakes (Gr.I). Is there a "follow button" for Gm10's comments for more research?

I have a general question:
Is there any difference between the Equibase Basic Program and the Daily Racing Form. I have used only the Equibase product through Xpressbet till now.
If the DRF gives more info, I might consider that?
Thanks in advance.

PaceAdvantage
06-13-2011, 08:29 PM

Gm10 is an EXCELLENT handicapper...and no one knows this better than I!OK, I'll ask the obvious question.

Who in here called gm10 a bad handicapper? Nobody.

But he is a bit classless when he calls out Dahoss for a wrong opinion (whether a joke or not)...because I don't EVER recall gm10 giving props to Dahoss for any of the MULTITUDE of winning days he's put up in the selections section...

kid4rilla
06-13-2011, 09:21 PM
OK, I'll ask the obvious question.

Who in here called gm10 a bad handicapper? Nobody.

But he is a bit classless when he calls out Dahoss for a wrong opinion (whether a joke or not)...because I don't EVER recall gm10 giving props to Dahoss for any of the MULTITUDE of winning days he's put up in the selections section...

Not my business, but I don't recall gm10 ever going into Dahoss's selections posts and saying that he liked them for 8th, either.

Nice call on Stay Thirsty. I had ST and Brilliant speed on top, so got close to a nice payoff.

PaceAdvantage
06-13-2011, 10:19 PM
Not my business, but I don't recall gm10 ever going into Dahoss's selections posts and saying that he liked them for 8th, either.How is that even remotely equivalent?

Are you saying difference of opinion before a race is no longer appropriate?

thaskalos
06-13-2011, 10:40 PM
How is that even remotely equivalent?

Now just a minute here...

Don't you think that you are making a bigger deal out of this than it was meant to be?

If I mention a horse before the race...and you say that this same horse will finish 8th...don't I have the right to rub it in a little bit if this horse wins the race, or comes up just a little short?

I don't think gm10 was serious...and it doesn't seem that Dahoss was bothered by it either.

You ask if "a difference of opinion before a race is no longer appropriate"...

Is a little display of humor no longer appropriate?

I have read most of Dahoss's posts, and he has ruffled more than a few feathers around here. He obviously enjoys rubbing it in when he is right and others are wrong.

Is it so bad for him to be on the receiving end for once?

Why is it considered "a bit classless" to tease HIM a little bit?

PaceAdvantage
06-13-2011, 10:46 PM
It's classless because I don't recall ever seeing gm10 give Dahoss props for being a very good handicapper, like you are asking everyone to do for gm10.

Dahoss has floored even his most ardent critics with the selections he has posted here over the past weeks and months. And not once did gm10 ever congratulate him for a job well done.

BUT, he'll jab at him when he posts an opinion that turns out to be wrong?

I see your point. I just counter it with my own.

cj
06-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Not my business, but I don't recall gm10 ever going into Dahoss's selections posts and saying that he liked them for 8th, either.

Nice call on Stay Thirsty. I had ST and Brilliant speed on top, so got close to a nice payoff.

For the record, he didn't "call" anything.

JPinMaryland
06-14-2011, 12:05 AM
I understand he didn't call it, but it always bothers me when the site admin. has to take sides in such debates. why not just either close the thread or let the principles duke it out?

if you really need to involve yourself why not post under a different name? it seems so heavy handed to come in as the admin. and start taking sides... :ThmbDown:

PaceAdvantage
06-14-2011, 12:55 AM
I understand he didn't call it, but it always bothers me when the site admin. has to take sides in such debates. why not just either close the thread or let the principles duke it out?

if you really need to involve yourself why not post under a different name? it seems so heavy handed to come in as the admin. and start taking sides... :ThmbDown:Duly noted.

But for the record, the site admin has been acting like this throughout his 12+ year tenure, and it doesn't seem to have adversely impacted business.

As Vic Stauffer recently stated about said site admin, "It's good to be king."

kid4rilla
06-14-2011, 08:58 AM
For the record, he didn't "call" anything.

Seems to be splitting hairs. He was considering him, and the other guy indicated he would never consider him. He comes ridiculously close to winning outright and is 2nd in a bomb exacta, so it can't hurt to give a little back to him.

kid4rilla
06-14-2011, 09:19 AM
How is that even remotely equivalent?

Not at all. It is nice to have those like Dahoss who has no fear of making his opinions known pre-race. Just reading the thread got me to look at, and use, ST which almost worked out in my pocket. Even when no one officially "called" his better than expected finish.

I don't know who's is longer between the two, but I'm still thinking mine is a little shorter so I appreciate getting to railbird the back and forth.

I don't think anybody is taking their ball and going home.

gm10
06-14-2011, 09:56 AM
For the record, I did like Stay Thirsty in the end, I had him as my second choice. He didn't win, though (to be honest I thought he would, turning for home).

I don't understand PA's excitement over this. If there's one guy who's not going to get upset about such a weak joke, it's DaHoss. In fact I suspect that he thrives on this sort of banter.

PaceAdvantage
06-14-2011, 10:55 AM
I don't understand PA's excitement over this. You always seem to have trouble understanding me. Nothing new here.