PDA

View Full Version : Fravel, Wilson leading CEO candidates at Breeders' Cup

andymays
06-06-2011, 07:10 PM
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/fravel-wilson-leading-ceo-candidates-at-breeders-cup/

Excerpt:

Del Mar Thoroughbred Club CEO Craig Fravel and former TVG president and CEO Mark Wilson have emerged as the two leading candidates for the CEO position of the Breeders' Cup, the Paulick Report has learned. Both attorneys, Fravel and Wilson are among a half-dozen or more candidates who interviewed recently with a Breeders' Cup search committee working with executive search firm Spencer Stuart to find a replacement for Greg Avioli. Avioli, also an attorney, stepped down in March to accept a similar position as head of the racing and gaming operations owned by Frank Stronach's MI Developments.

Stillriledup
06-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Fravel has made Del Mar's handle out pace everyone. I think bettors love plastic tracks, so, naturally, handle will rise. Fravel is your man.

Southieboy
06-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Fravel has made Del Mar's handle out pace everyone. I think bettors love plastic tracks, so, naturally, handle will rise. Fravel is your man.
He was also for the raising of the takeout.

NTamm1215
06-06-2011, 09:32 PM

Next time use an emoticon when you're trying to be funny.

Stillriledup
06-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Next time use an emoticon when you're trying to be funny.

Im serious. Why else would they want Fravel? Its not like they're going to take a guy who's a higher up at a floundering track, right?

NTamm1215
06-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Im serious. Why else would they want Fravel? Its not like they're going to take a guy who's a higher up at a floundering track, right?

Whose handle did Del Mar out-pace exactly?

Stillriledup
06-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Whose handle did Del Mar out-pace exactly?

I dont know, they must have done well, why else would they want Fravel?

Southieboy
06-06-2011, 09:57 PM
Del Mar hasn't outpaced anyone to my knowledge, and they should see a big handle decline this year with the new rates and the possibility of some date cuts.

Stillriledup
06-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Del Mar hasn't outpaced anyone to my knowledge, and they should see a big handle decline this year with the new rates and the possibility of some date cuts.

That's shocking, you mean that big bettors haven't embraced random results on plastic tracks? You mean big bettors havent still bet at their normal levels because the horses are safer?

PaceAdvantage
06-07-2011, 04:22 AM
I dont know, they must have done well, why else would they want Fravel?You really need to reinvent yourself...again...

andymays
06-07-2011, 07:37 AM
Oak Tree meeting at Del Mar could draw Breeders' Cup

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/jun/06/oak-tree-meeting-del-mar-could-draw-breeders-cup/

Excerpt:

Craig Fravel, president and general manager of the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club, said he met recently with officials from the Oak Tree Association. Fravel’s name also is being mentioned as a successor to Greg Avioli as the CEO of Breeders’ Cup Limited, which runs the Breeders’ Cup championship event.

DJofSD
06-07-2011, 08:36 AM
Oak Tree meeting at Del Mar could draw Breeders' Cup

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/jun/06/oak-tree-meeting-del-mar-could-draw-breeders-cup/

Excerpt:

Craig Fravel, president and general manager of the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club, said he met recently with officials from the Oak Tree Association. Fravel’s name also is being mentioned as a successor to Greg Avioli as the CEO of Breeders’ Cup Limited, which runs the Breeders’ Cup championship event.

Andy, I believe the possibility of the BC @ DMR has been discussed before. It will never happen. There are too many problems with things like the width of the turf course, the backside infrastructure, etc., that will prevent it from happening. This speculation of BC @ DMR as a part of the discussion of Fravel getting the CEO spot is irresponsible. Sorry.

FenceBored
06-07-2011, 09:10 AM
Andy, I believe the possibility of the BC @ DMR has been discussed before. It will never happen. There are too many problems with things like the width of the turf course, the backside infrastructure, etc., that will prevent it from happening. This speculation of BC @ DMR as a part of the discussion of Fravel getting the CEO spot is irresponsible. Sorry.

If the BC hires Fravel DMR will host a least one BC whether it makes logistical sense or not. Sorry.

I can hear the conversation now:
"Can't we put the horses up at the Super 8? Get them ground floor rooms, and the grooms can be right above them. C'mon, help me out here."

DJofSD
06-07-2011, 09:16 AM
If the BC hires Fravel DMR will host a least one BC whether it makes logistical sense or not. Sorry.

Really? How much do you want to wager on that?

FenceBored
06-07-2011, 09:21 AM
Really? How much do you want to wager on that?

I'm all in for 400 vCash. PA put it in escrow.

DJofSD
06-07-2011, 09:28 AM
OK, and, should we put some kind of time limit on that?

FenceBored
06-07-2011, 09:51 AM
OK, and, should we put some kind of time limit on that?

That's the hard part of this, isn't it, the lead time. 2011 is CD, have they announced 2012?

I'll say that if Fravel is hired to head BC, Limited and Oak Tree runs their meet at Del Mar starting in the year 2012 (as it is expected to do) that Del Mar will have hosted the Breeders' Cup World Championships by 12:00.00 am EST January 1, 2015.

In other words, with Fravel (the man who has fought for the BC to come to Del Mar) in charge of the day to day operations of the BC, and Oak Tree at Del Mar, they will host in 2012, 2013, or 2014.

Not that I think it's the best option (or the best choice for the event), just that this is a case of "those that want to, and can do, will do."

andymays
06-07-2011, 10:05 AM

I never thought it would happen but there are too many things coming together. Chillingworth was at the big meeting at Hollywood and I spoke with him briefly.

There is something cooking that's for sure. I just wish they'd work as hard on doing a few more things for the players.

Fravel is a smart guy and is definitely a player on the national scene. As I've gotten to know him he seems to be a good guy as well. I just wish he'd get on the side of the Customers a little more.

DJofSD
06-07-2011, 10:23 AM
That's the hard part of this, isn't it, the lead time. 2011 is CD, have they announced 2012?

I'll say that if Fravel is hired to head BC, Limited and Oak Tree runs their meet at Del Mar starting in the year 2012 (as it is expected to do) that Del Mar will have hosted the Breeders' Cup World Championships by 12:00.00 am EST January 1, 2015.

In other words, with Fravel (the man who has fought for the BC to come to Del Mar) in charge of the day to day operations of the BC, and Oak Tree at Del Mar, they will host in 2012, 2013, or 2014.

Not that I think it's the best option (or the best choice for the event), just that this is a case of "those that want to, and can do, will do."

For the most part, the above is reasonable. However, going out to 2014 I feel is too far.

andymays
06-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Oak Tree to apply for 2012 fall dates - Thoroughbred Times

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2011/06/07/danny-meyer-shake-shack-horse-racing.aspx

Excerpt:

That might not be the case next year, however, if Oak Tree and Del Mar follow through on a plan that not only would include staging an Oak Tree meet at Del Mar but also a future pitch for the Breeders’ Cup World Championships.

andymays
06-07-2011, 10:37 AM
We might get a Breeders Cup on Polytrack. I can't wait.

andymays
06-07-2011, 10:46 AM
I wonder what St. Elsewhere (Frank) thinks of all this?

This could be a major power play we're watching.

FenceBored
06-07-2011, 10:52 AM
For the most part, the above is reasonable. However, going out to 2014 I feel is too far.

2014 is too far out? Are you kidding? In June of '04 (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/23179/garden-party) they had already announced Monmouth for 2007. In Oct 2008 they announced CD for 2010. Even 2011 was announced 17 months ahead of time and that was just to say "back to back." With a new venue I'm sure they'd want to give them time to make any improvements they felt necessary (hence the long lead time for Monmouth). 2011 is set. I'd expect an announcement on 2012 by the end of June. Whether that would follow or preceed an announcement on a new CEO I don't know. So, you're saying that if Fravel can't force a Del Mar Cup through the first year he'd have real input on (i.e. in the next near), he's a failure at doing it? Give the man a little time to work.

DJofSD
06-07-2011, 10:58 AM
OK, my premise does not rest solely on how much or how little time he has to work towards that goal, So, IOW, 2014 is acceptable as a cut off.

You're on.