PDA

View Full Version : Teacher punches student

cj's dad
06-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Teacher Who Punched Student: "I had to defend myself"

A Florida teacher who faces an uncertain job future after being caught on video punching a student last month told TODAY’s Matt Lauer in an exclusive interview Monday that she had no choice but to protect herself during the incident.

Video:
http://www.wbal.com/absolutenm/templates/story.aspx?articleid=74235&zoneid=12

TJDave
06-06-2011, 02:34 PM
Setting aside the facts:

Anyone old enough to remember when teachers were held in high regard? When, if you got in trouble at school you got worse when you got home?

The idea that a teacher would be placed in a position to physically defend herself from a student is bizarre. WTF has happened to our society?

Jens
06-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Although I am seldom very impressed with today's teaching profession, I give two huge thumbs up to the teacher in this incident. One would think that at some time there should be a limit on being politically correct. Maybe a better way of saying it would be that at some time students(children) should bear some responsibility for their actions. Just my opinion.

mostpost
06-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Teacher Who Punched Student: "I had to defend myself"

A Florida teacher who faces an uncertain job future after being caught on video punching a student last month told TODAY’s Matt Lauer in an exclusive interview Monday that she had no choice but to protect herself during the incident.

Video:
http://www.wbal.com/absolutenm/templates/story.aspx?articleid=74235&zoneid=12

I'm surprised the student's parents haven't sued the teacher. Not because they should, but because it seems all too common nowadays for parents to fail to make their children take responsibility for their own actions.

It's also very discouraging that no one in the school administration has the courage to stand behind the teacher. It's all well and good to have guidelines, but no guidelines can possibly cover every situation.

DJofSD
06-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Too bad the kid is under age otherwise a sit down with the prez over a beer is in order.

boxcar
06-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Setting aside the facts:

Anyone old enough to remember when teachers were held in high regard? When, if you got in trouble at school you got worse when you got home?

The idea that a teacher would be placed in a position to physically defend herself from a student is bizarre. WTF has happened to our society?

Just venturing a wild and crazy guess: Godlessness?

Boxcar

JustRalph
06-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Setting aside the facts:

I used to work in a high school as a Police Officer, now they call them "school resource officers" and it was going to hell in the mid 90's..... I can't imagine what it's like now.

Back in the 70's they swatted us with paddles made in shop class and I distinctly remember my science teacher and baseball coach punching out a couple kids who mouthed off to him. And those kids got their asses kicked by their fathers when they got home.

chickenhead
06-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Ah, the joys of high school. Miserable students, miserable teachers.