PDA

View Full Version : 120+ Beyer

MickJ26
06-04-2011, 03:45 PM
Just wondering, who was the last horse to put up a 120 or over Beyer? I know Commentator did it a couple of times a few years ago. Has there been anybody else since?
Thanks.

toussaud
06-04-2011, 04:14 PM
off the top of my head

I think quality road did in the donn

Midnight Lute in the Forego the first year he won the Breeders cup sprint

Saratoga_Mike
06-04-2011, 04:19 PM
QR was a 121 in the Donn, but the number was too generous, as CJ pointed out at the time.

MickJ26
06-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Thanks, guys. Will the 120+ Beyer eventually become as elusive as the Triple Crown?

Saratoga_Mike
06-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Thanks, guys. Will the 120+ Beyer eventually become as elusive as the Triple Crown?

Not sprinting.

cj
06-04-2011, 05:53 PM
One thing to keep in mind is the Beyer is still based on claiming horses running a certain figure range. The high end merely states how much better than claimers the best horses are in my opinion. I think that the advent of slots has made the average claiming horses better, thus the gap between the two has shrunk.

If Beyers reflected the improved claiming horses, the better horses would get higher Beyers as well. Again though, this is just an educated guess. It is also probably one of several factors that are changing the dynamics of making figures.

FenceBored
06-04-2011, 07:07 PM
One thing to keep in mind is the Beyer is still based on claiming horses running a certain figure range. The high end merely states how much better than claimers the best horses are in my opinion. I think that the advent of slots has made the average claiming horses better, thus the gap between the two has shrunk.

If Beyers reflected the improved claiming horses, the better horses would get higher Beyers as well. Again though, this is just an educated guess. It is also probably one of several factors that are changing the dynamics of making figures.

It sometimes seems a little like saying that the hottest day of May will be called 90 degrees and the temperatures for the rest of the year adjusted accordingly. You're able to tell something about the temperatures in that year relative to each other, but long term it doesn't help you keep climatological records worth a damn.

andtheyreoff
06-04-2011, 07:48 PM
Big Drama ran a 120 in the Mr. Prospector on January 15 at Gulfstream.

Stillriledup
06-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Mineshaft or Ghostzapper both had 120's i think going 2 turns.

cj
06-04-2011, 09:05 PM
It sometimes seems a little like saying that the hottest day of May will be called 90 degrees and the temperatures for the rest of the year adjusted accordingly. You're able to tell something about the temperatures in that year relative to each other, but long term it doesn't help you keep climatological records worth a damn.

If we could measure track speed like we do temperature, it wouldn't be a problem.

cnollfan
06-04-2011, 09:48 PM

Excellent point which I have bought into lock stock and barrel.

skipaway100
06-05-2011, 02:08 AM
Gentleman had 3 straight over 120, including his 126 in the Pimlico Special.

Skip Away averaged 117.3 over his last 15 starts.

toetoe
06-05-2011, 02:47 AM
I'll guess Formal Gold had the most figures that high. However, it's just a number, isn't it ? Also, turf horses never get close to that figure.

Tom
06-05-2011, 08:02 AM
Two things you don't see as much of anymore:

120 Beyers and a :6: horse. :rolleyes:

Interesting idea CJ , that claimers are getting better. I would have thought the opposite. Seems to me NYRA has lots of 3500 claimers these days, but they run for 7500-10,000.

I have to check this out today....you got me curious now.

cj
06-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Two things you don't see as much of anymore:

120 Beyers and a :6: horse. :rolleyes:

Interesting idea CJ , that claimers are getting better. I would have thought the opposite. Seems to me NYRA has lots of 3500 claimers these days, but they run for 7500-10,000.

I have to check this out today....you got me curious now.

Purses for claimers are much better now in relation to stakes races. They have risen at a much higher rate. Given this, better horses are dropped into claiming races much quicker these days. It also means owners are willing to spend more money giving these claimer better care, i.e. drugs.

Tom
06-05-2011, 02:17 PM
When nickel claimers can get 30K in purse money, you have a whole new ball game. Not a good one, IMO. Opinioins may vary, but I prefer claimers with no restrictions other than the bottom level.

PhantomOnTour
06-05-2011, 02:17 PM
If better horses are dropping into Clm ranks for good purse money wouldn't that better the times/figs for these higher end Clmrs?

cj
06-05-2011, 04:17 PM
If better horses are dropping into Clm ranks for good purse money wouldn't that better the times/figs for these higher end Clmrs?

Not really...the gap between cheap horses and good horses is shrinking.

If one accepts that, either one of three things has to happen:

The cheap horses get the same figures and the better ones shrink.
The cheap horses get better figures and the better ones stay the same.
The cheap horses figures improve some and the better horses figures decline some.
My guess is #2 is what is happening with Beyer figures.

classhandicapper
06-06-2011, 03:59 PM

Another reason to become a class handicapper. ;)

cj
06-06-2011, 05:16 PM
Another reason to become a class handicapper. ;)

I think the figures still work, you just can't compare them over a large time period, which many people tend to do.