PDA

View Full Version : MSNBC - Hussein, WMD, military

Dave Schwartz
11-03-2003, 11:37 AM
MSNBC story on Hussein - Very enlightening re: WMD.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/988314.asp

shanta
11-03-2003, 12:19 PM
very interesting read. if (and its a big if) he really did not have the wmds after say 1999 where are we getting our intelligence from that he did and was planning to use them?? chalabi??
also once again it seems that the french and russians were working behind the scenes against us. i think our government has a lot of explaining to do about our intelligence which led to the start of the war. i think this is gonna come back to really haunt bush.also whata tragedy on sunday with the shooting down of the copter in iraq and the tragic loss of life.

Dave Schwartz
11-03-2003, 12:30 PM
I have to say that my take on this article was a little different.

What I gathered was that Saddam worked hard to convince his Arab (and Israeli) neighbors that he had WMD to keep them at bay. The fact that he did not really have them did not deter him from putting on a good show. Apparently he even worked hard at convincing his generals that the military had them... each general thought that the unit next to them (a quote) during the war had them and that they would be used.

Well, it would seem that this strategy backfired. Now Saddam is gone. Good riddance.

I do not fault the Bush administration one bit for this. If he could convince his own generals that the military had them why would we not be convinced?

But I still have issues over the "16 words" thing. I have a hard time getting past that and cannot easily let Bush go on this.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

shanta
11-03-2003, 05:30 PM
i reread the article and i do see your point about saddam wanting his neighbors to believe he had the wmds.guess he couldnt be the big bully on the block without them. also he could use them as a deterrent in case he was attacked.

DJofSD
11-03-2003, 11:19 PM
See October 5 at :http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-include-ramirez,1,2243700.ssipage

Buckeye
11-03-2003, 11:41 PM
Dave,

Which "16 words" are you referring to?

Dave Schwartz
11-03-2003, 11:58 PM
Here is a link to get you started:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/07/13/cnna.wolf.rice/

Tom
11-04-2003, 12:35 AM
He's said a lot more than 16 that I can't get past. The only thing he can say that will make me happy is "I will not seek re-election."
He said today that America will never run....I hope that means him, too!
I thought the 2000 election was pathetic with a choice of Bush/Gore (Bush - Gore?? VS??) 2004 is shaping up to be an even new low for the USA-Bush vs the 8 Stooges.
Sure hope the Libertarians offer a viable candidate. I won't vote for the boy wonder (how about this for Bush's campaign slogan:Failure-it IS hereditary!) and the group of 8 is really depressing.
:mad:

Figman
11-08-2003, 02:10 PM
How much "fact checking" is done at MSNBC?????
Read this story about VLTs coming to New York State and being managed by the national company DELAWARE NORTH. The story relates the company's success at Wheeling Downs in West Virginia where the MSNBC writer states that "slots success has greatly helped the purses for the jockeys!" As far as I know, there is only greyhound racing at Wheeling! Maybe they have monkeys on the backs of the greyhounds. Do you know Tom?
http://tinyurl.com/u7mx

Tom
11-08-2003, 02:48 PM
DN owns Finger Lakes.
As to monkeys riding horses, I better not go there! :eek:

Figman
11-08-2003, 02:55 PM
Unless I'm reading this wrong, these paragraphs refer directly to Wheeling not Finger Lakes;

Delaware North's investment in Wheeling is considered the primary reason why the track remains in operation today.

Bringing the VLTs to the track was a deliberate process with Delaware North starting slowly. The track started with 100 slot machines before a strong response from customers put expansion plans on a fast track.

"We're very proud of the fact that we created a huge financial shot in the arm for the track," Szefel said.

Because of the success of VLT gaming, Delaware North was able to raise the purses it paid out the jockeys. That, in turn, brought a higher level of horse racing competition to the track.

Wheeling is the largest and busiest of four gaming operations in West Virgina. A portion of the slot machine revenues revert to the state for its general fund use.

"We probably pay more in taxes to W. Virginia than any other business or industry in the state," Szefel said.