PDA

View Full Version : Uncle Mo Diagnosis Released

OFFandRUNNING10
06-03-2011, 04:01 PM
For those who may not have seen this. This is the latest report on Unclo Mo.

After seven weeks of extensive testing, it has been determined that 2010 champion 2-year-old male Uncle Mo has a case of cholangiohepatitis, which, according to the Merck Veterinary Manual, is a “severe inflammation of the bile passages and adjacent liver, which sporadically causes hepatic failure in horses and ruminants.”

According to a statement released June 3 by owner Mike Repole, the determination of what led to the early favorite for the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) to be withdrawn from the race came following a biopsy of the liver and lymph nodes. After being scratched from the Derby two days before the race, Uncle Mo was sent to WinStar Farm near Versailles, Ky., where he underwent extensive testing by some of the top equine internists in the country.

“Uncle Mo has been diagnosed with cholangiohepatitis,” the veterinary team of internists Dr. Bill Bernard, Dr. Doug Byars, and Dr. Tom Divers said in the statement. “The cause of how he contracted cholangiohepatitis is unknown.

"Since Uncle Mo has been at WinStar he has gained 67 pounds, his blood work is going in the right direction, his energy level is up, and his attitude has improved. We are optimistic about his prognosis and getting back to the track and continuing his racing career.”

“As long as Uncle Mo is 100% healthy, he’ll be sent back to Todd Pletcher’s barn,” Repole said. “My hope is for him to arrive back with Todd before Aug. 1. I want to personally thank Dr. Bernard, Dr. Byars, Dr. Divers, and all of the other participating vets for their treatment of Uncle Mo. I also would like to thank the entire racing community from fans to the media for their sincere concern for Uncle Mo and his health.

"My number one priority has always been and always will be the health of this wonderful horse, and though the doctors and I are optimistic that he will return to racing, Uncle Mo’s progress and health over the next three months will be the determining factor.”

Read more: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/63388/veterinarians-release-uncle-mos-diagnosis#ixzz1OFFq3CPW

Stillriledup
06-03-2011, 05:09 PM
So what we are saying is that Uncle No was about 100 lbs 'underweight' and was still 'entered' in the Derby ?

Did they not know the horse was 70-100 lbs (give or take) underweight when they entered him?

cnollfan
06-03-2011, 06:10 PM
So what we are saying is that Uncle No was about 100 lbs 'underweight' and was still 'entered' in the Derby ?

Did they not know the horse was 70-100 lbs (give or take) underweight when they entered him?

Agree. Not that Sway Away would have done much in the Derby, given his Preakness performance, but entering Uncle Mo in the Derby was still a very selfish move IMHO.

Hanover1
06-03-2011, 06:40 PM

Distance runners are not fat? Many get downright ribby when tight. Off his recent performances in the spring, would you skip the Derby? Hats off to them for quitting with him when they did, instead of up the track with a favorite ala Life at Ten.

Stillriledup
06-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Distance runners are not fat? Many get downright ribby when tight. Off his recent performances in the spring, would you skip the Derby? Hats off to them for quitting with him when they did, instead of up the track with a favorite ala Life at Ten.

Why did they enter the Derby THAN quit? Why not quit on the Tuesday before entries were taken? I cant imagine an elite trainer like Pletcher wouldnt know his horse lost 100 lbs.

Hanover1
06-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Why did they enter the Derby THAN quit? Why not quit on the Tuesday before entries were taken? I cant imagine an elite trainer like Pletcher wouldnt know his horse lost 100 lbs.

So now trainers must get approval from fans before scratching? Not unusual for a horse to drop 100lbs under duress. The extent of the duress caused the scratch, the day was meaningless. And if he would have ran up the track you would be screaming to beat the band.....so wich is it? Scratch a sub-par favorite, or run him anyways?? Again placing a horse/trainer combo in a no win situation to express opinion on an everyday occurance at the track. Just curious....you suppose he had some secret motive for entering him, then scratching like he did? Share that with is if you will....Excuse me, I forgot, you were at the barn everyday, and knew when the correct time was to scratch, in fact you knew he never should have entered because...(fill in blank here for explaination). Bottom line here-accept it as a common occurance and not make an issue of it.

Dahoss9698
06-03-2011, 08:30 PM
Bottom line here-accept it as a common occurance and not make an issue of it.

You're a cartoon character at this point. Just stop.

Robert Fischer
06-03-2011, 08:59 PM
^^ btw Hanover - Good call @ Meadowlands made a few bucks on the tip. :ThmbUp:

- I'm not even 100% convinced that this ailment is what cost Mo the Wood. Nor am I convinced that he will race again... Although I would like to see him return.

Dahoss9698
06-03-2011, 09:00 PM
^^^ Speaking of cartoon characters....

nijinski
06-03-2011, 09:32 PM
I'm glad they got the answer finally .
Mo seems to be doing very well which is great news.
Repole really went all out getting the best attention and care for Mo.

PaceAdvantage
06-03-2011, 09:32 PM
They entered Uncle Mo in the Derby, at the very least, to make sure Stay Thirsty had one less competitor to worry about.

And if I had to take a guess, every one of the Repole critics in this thread and elsewhere would have done the same exact thing if given the chance.

Robert Fischer
06-03-2011, 09:36 PM
They entered Uncle Mo in the Derby, at the very least, to make sure Stay Thirsty had one less competitor to worry about.

And if I had to take a guess, every one of the Repole critics in this thread and elsewhere would have done the same exact thing if given the chance.

Sharp point

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/5800/peboriginals2004092517.jpg

sonnyp
06-03-2011, 11:03 PM

just curious, would you have been against zayat entering 4 or 5 of his 3 yo's in the preakness to deprive rachel a spot ? im not trying to be a wise guy, it just seems to be the same thing.

PaceAdvantage
06-03-2011, 11:23 PM
I wrote my one and only front page article for this very website, as you may well know, severely condemning the news that Zayat was considering doing such a thing.

Entering the probable Derby favorite in the Kentucky Derby by no means is a valid comparison in my opinion.

Stillriledup
06-03-2011, 11:29 PM

Actually, isnt it like 25 grand to enter?

Also, some of us have morals and wouldnt have entered a horse who wasnt going to run. If Mo was my horse, he would have been turned out after the Wood and they would have found the issue earlier. I would not have shipped him to CD and put kept him in training....in other words, i would have did right by the horse.

PaceAdvantage
06-03-2011, 11:34 PM
Actually, isnt it like 25 grand to enter?

Also, some of us have morals and wouldnt have entered a horse who wasnt going to run. If Mo was my horse, he would have been turned out after the Wood and they would have found the issue earlier. I would not have shipped him to CD and put kept him in training....in other words, i would have did right by the horse.First off, 25 grand is nothing to Repole. I wrote "if given the chance." I'll further refine that to "if you were in the same situation as Repole," meaning, money is no object.

Second, your entire second paragraph is based on uninformed speculation. You have no idea exactly what they knew about Mo's condition going into the Derby, so to say you would have "done right by the horse" is meaningless.

In the end, they "did right by the horse" too...they didn't run him.

Dahoss9698
06-03-2011, 11:35 PM
Entering the probable Derby favorite in the Kentucky Derby by no means is a valid comparison in my opinion.

Even though said horse had zero chance of starting? Seems pretty valid to me. Seems like you're being pretty inconsistent here.

Stillriledup
06-03-2011, 11:36 PM
So now trainers must get approval from fans before scratching? Not unusual for a horse to drop 100lbs under duress. The extent of the duress caused the scratch, the day was meaningless. And if he would have ran up the track you would be screaming to beat the band.....so wich is it? Scratch a sub-par favorite, or run him anyways?? Again placing a horse/trainer combo in a no win situation to express opinion on an everyday occurance at the track. Just curious....you suppose he had some secret motive for entering him, then scratching like he did? Share that with is if you will....Excuse me, I forgot, you were at the barn everyday, and knew when the correct time was to scratch, in fact you knew he never should have entered because...(fill in blank here for explaination). Bottom line here-accept it as a common occurance and not make an issue of it.

They dont have to ask me if they should run or not, but i would like to know why they're entering a horse who's 100 lbs underweight (and they know it)

sonnyp
06-03-2011, 11:37 PM
I wrote my one and only front page article for this very website, as you may well know, severely condemning the news that Zayat was considering doing such a thing.

it comes down to do you use all your power to manipulate a situation to give yourself the best chance of winning.

baffert entered 5 of his hoping to cause a split of a stake years ago at i believe at saratoga. he was hoping to dodge the huge favorite with his best horse.

when he accomplished this he scratched his lesser 4 and won the split division. nice move if you've got that many.

PaceAdvantage
06-03-2011, 11:39 PM
Even though said horse had zero chance of starting? Seems pretty valid to me. Seems like you're being pretty inconsistent here.Nobody knows the answer to your first question other than Repole and Pletcher.

Entering four or five horses to specifically target the elimination of the likely winner of the 2009 Preakness is the same as entering Mo' to keep one other horse from making the Derby? Color me inconsistent then...

Stillriledup
06-03-2011, 11:42 PM
First off, 25 grand is nothing to Repole. I wrote "if given the chance." I'll further refine that to "if you were in the same situation as Repole," meaning, money is no object.

Second, your entire second paragraph is based on uninformed speculation. You have no idea exactly what they knew about Mo's condition going into the Derby, so to say you would have "done right by the horse" is meaningless.

In the end, they "did right by the horse" too...they didn't run him.

yeah, go back and change what you wrote.

Its bad karma to enter a horse you know isnt running in order to keep one guy out of the gate.

I don't know what they know other than Uncle Mo was severely underweight on entry day. There's 0 percent chance they didnt know that.

Dahoss9698
06-03-2011, 11:49 PM
Nobody knows the answer to your first question other than Repole and Pletcher.

He was never going to run.

Stillriledup
06-03-2011, 11:52 PM
Nobody knows the answer to your first question other than Repole and Pletcher.

Entering four or five horses to specifically target the elimination of the likely winner of the 2009 Preakness is the same as entering Mo' to keep one other horse from making the Derby? Color me inconsistent then...

I love you arguing with your ghost, congrats on the 5k additional posts! :lol:

Tom
06-04-2011, 12:35 AM

Pletcher on top of things?

Three words: Life at Ten.

Tom
06-04-2011, 12:40 AM

Why? To enter him to protect another of your horses, even one as dubious as Stay Thirsty, when you know he is not right, and have team of vets in the wings sounds a lot more shady than entering 4 or 5 eligible horses who are fit to run to me. Espcially a guy who pulled the LAT nonsense in a major race not too long ago.

Like being a little pregnant here.

Stillriledup
06-04-2011, 01:20 AM
Pletcher on top of things?

Three words: Life at Ten.

Pletcher is the 'best guy' supposedly, he's supposed to know his horse is badly underweight.

PaceAdvantage
06-04-2011, 01:44 AM
yeah, go back and change what you wrote.

Its bad karma to enter a horse you know isnt running in order to keep one guy out of the gate.

I don't know what they know other than Uncle Mo was severely underweight on entry day. There's 0 percent chance they didnt know that.Right...what I meant to say was:

Pretend you have no money, but yet you have a horse who is going in as the likely favorite in the Kentucky Derby, and you're going to worry about $25,000."

You make absolutely no sense, as usual...

PaceAdvantage
06-04-2011, 01:45 AM
I love you arguing with your ghost, congrats on the 5k additional posts! :lol:Translation please?

PaceAdvantage
06-04-2011, 01:47 AM
Why? To enter him to protect another of your horses, even one as dubious as Stay Thirsty, when you know he is not right, and have team of vets in the wings sounds a lot more shady than entering 4 or 5 eligible horses who are fit to run to me. Espcially a guy who pulled the LAT nonsense in a major race not too long ago.

Like being a little pregnant here.Do you even remember the horses who Zayat had under consideration for the Preakness? As I recall, some of them definitely weren't pretty.

Stillriledup
06-04-2011, 01:53 AM
Right...what I meant to say was:

Pretend you have no money, but yet you have a horse who is going in as the likely favorite in the Kentucky Derby, and you're going to worry about $25,000."

You make absolutely no sense, as usual...

Not everyone is going to toss away 25k just so they can keep one other horse out of the gate. As usual, you make no sense.

Dahoss9698
06-04-2011, 01:56 AM
Translation please?

He's implying you and I are the same person. As usual...he's never right. I actually need to re-evaluate my position on this seeing that I agree with him.

I must be wrong.

PaceAdvantage
06-04-2011, 02:02 AM
Well then, that would be a massive complement to me, seeing the way you've been picking winners left and right.

I only wish...I've been as cold as ice since the Preakness.

Tom
06-04-2011, 02:40 AM
Do you even remember the horses who Zayat had under consideration for the Preakness? As I recall, some of them definitely weren't pretty.

I know that all of them looked better than Uncle Slow. He was obviously not ready to start in the Derby. But is is not the horse, it is the process.
Do you enter whatever you fell like entering or not.

Pretty or not, did they meet the earnings requirements?
We had a few ugly horses start this year!:D

PaceAdvantage
06-04-2011, 02:46 AM
As slow as you think Uncle Mo was/is, he most likely would have beaten quite a few of the horses entered in this year's Kentucky Derby, healthy or not.

I hope they can heal him up 100% and get him back to the races. This year's crop needs a serious injection of talent.

Tom
06-04-2011, 10:26 AM
See, now, you go and watch Tizzway and start wanting more race-horse times. Did you catch TLG on Byk this week? He was reading the PPs for Will's Way.....made me cry in my car! Where have all the horses gone?

I hope UM can get back half of what he had last year.

Phantombridgejumpe
06-04-2011, 11:45 AM
If a horse pulls out you insert #21.

I know the downside, Derby entries/programs/betting starts before Saturday, but I think I'll take that with the upside of avoiding 'games' or even the feeling that funny business might be going on.

Tom
06-04-2011, 04:06 PM
The idea of having a list of horses that could fill the spots of scratched horses before the betting begins is a very complex and complicated idea.
Not every race track has the properly trained personnel to handle such a complex procedure. It would take too much high level planning and thinking to pull something like that off.

Sadly, no one offers a degree course in such areas.

KingChas
06-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Couldn't most this be avoided with a Derby A.E. list?

The idea of having a list of horses that could fill the spots of scratched horses before the betting begins is a very complex and complicated idea.

You are joking?..................I hope. :eek:

Tom
06-06-2011, 11:16 AM
You are joking?..................I hope. :eek:

:cool:
Am I?

sonnyp
06-07-2011, 08:01 PM
this guy has been at the farm since the derby and you can still see his ribs ? i don't know ?

Video - Uncle Mo at WinStar (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/63452/video---uncle-mo-at-winstar?source=rss)

nijinski
06-08-2011, 01:49 AM
this guy has been at the farm since the derby and you can still see his ribs ? i don't know ?

Video - Uncle Mo at WinStar (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/63452/video---uncle-mo-at-winstar?source=rss)

I don't recall Mo ever being a a heavy or big muscled horse and when he first got to Win Star he looked very thin , he looks to be filling out nicely . Wonder if he he's grown too.
He may have had sedation and lighter feeding the week of his major testing .
Liver Biopsy and and Lymph node testing is a pretty big deal . All reports are looking very positive,