PDA

View Full Version : Epsom Oaks

gm10
06-03-2011, 06:31 AM
The going is GOOD at Epsom. They've been watering the track all week, but I expect they will leave it alone now, and it will dry out as racing progresses today and tomorrow.

Race 1 (Princess Elizabeth S. Group 3): Looks like a two horse race. Antara 5/4 is the pick on numbers. She's a light sort, so I'm guessing she's easy to train into shape and will be ready for this. Timepiece 2/1 is the second, Cecil-trained filly. Has a run under her belt and is more than capable of winning this. I'm a bit wary of Clinical 10/1.

Race 2 (Investec Mile Handicap): A nice 18-runner handicap. Bit of luck in running required! Beauchamp Xerxes 25/1 runs well fresh, doesn't mind quirky tracks like this one and acts well on good ground. Dance And Dance 7/1 ran very well in his last race. Benandonner 16/1 ran a stormer last time, too, and the uphill finish should be ideal for him.

Race 3 (Coronation Cup Group 1): Visually he always looks impressive, but I don't trust St Nicholas Abbey's form, so it has to be Midday by default. Indian Days offers a bit of value 33/1.

Race 4 (Investec Stakes): Plenty of chances. At the odds, I'll take License To Till 16/1. Prompter and Right Step are also available at decent odds.

Race 5 (Oaks Group 1): The big race on Ladies Day. The Godolphin filly ran a splendid race to win the 1000 Guineas and it's hard to fault her. Doesn't mean we have to bet her, though! I strongly fance Misty For Me at 8/1. She galloped out very strongly in the Irish Guineas. One under the radar is Siren's Song 20/1. This race is a big step up but I'm pretty sure she has class.

Race 6 (Surrey Stakes Listed): Bags of early speed in this race. Hooray is all the rage, but this really doesn't look a walk in the park. 10/11 is madness, I'm going with Chilworth Lad 8/1. I like Utley too, but not at 4/1.

Race 7 (handicap): did not spend a lot of time on this, but I like Cloud Rock (5/1), and will probably bet on Sonning Rose (33/1).

Main bets: Benandonner (race 2), License To Till, Prompter and Right Step (race 4), Misty For Me and Siren's Song (race 5), Sonning Rose (race 7).

Humph
06-03-2011, 09:42 AM
This year's renewal of the Coronation Cup looks just awful . And I too have my doubts about just how good St. Nicholas Abbey is - or isn't . But if he's going to win at this level again , this is a great opportunity , imo - still not sure if he's up to beating the filly , though . We shall soon see.

Can't help but think that had Workforce shown up here he'd have been a class apart.

OTM Al
06-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Had second for the Oaks keyed right but missed badly on top. Thought Misty or Zain looked better for the distance and Blue was vulnerable but didn't see the winner at all. Nice ride to steal it away though.

Took the same shot with Benanonner (but place only) but that didn't work so well either.

gm10
06-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Had second for the Oaks keyed right but missed badly on top. Thought Misty or Zain looked better for the distance and Blue was vulnerable but didn't see the winner at all. Nice ride to steal it away though.

Took the same shot with Benanonner (but place only) but that didn't work so well either.

I had a shocker. Mix some moderate handicapping with some bad betting, throw in a losing streak and top up with two questionable rides from Tom Queally and you get the idea :(

cj
06-03-2011, 12:54 PM
Dettori embarrassed himself today.

ceejay
06-03-2011, 01:20 PM
That is not something new and different! :lol:

gm10
06-03-2011, 03:34 PM
In one way it's a shame that he got banned for 10 days. He's been doing this for years now, letting tens and tens of odds-on favourites fall out of the place spot. This has created some memorably juicy Placepot payouts over the years.

He had it coming, that's for sure.

nearco
06-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Dettori embarrassed himself today.

Out of curiosity, how many days would a ride like that get in the US?
Dettori was given 10 today. Will miss part of the Royal meet at Ascot plus the Irish Derby.

cj
06-04-2011, 12:19 AM
Out of curiosity, how many days would a ride like that get in the US?
Dettori was given 10 today. Will miss part of the Royal meet at Ascot plus the Irish Derby.

Tough to say, but probably not as many and they would be taken when there were no big races going on.

FenceBored
06-04-2011, 02:11 PM
Tough to say, but probably not as many and they would be taken when there were no big races going on.

Or, like in California, the big races are excluded from the suspension.

After getting disqualified for a similar infraction aboard St. Trinians in the Milady Handicap (Grade II) last week, Talamo is currently serving a suspension and only allowed to ride in graded stakes races.

-- http://www.horseracingnation.com/blogs/SoCal_Scoop/Dubawi_Heights_Camp_Victory_Score_Stakes_Wins_on_M emorial_Day_Video_123