PDA

View Full Version : Old computer question

dav4463
06-03-2011, 04:56 AM
I have a really old HP computer hooked up to DSL. The modem is hooked up with a usb cable.

I tried to hook up a new computer but couldn't get on the internet. It said "page will not display". I clicked "help" and it said that there was "no ethernet connection detected".

Why does my old computer work without an ethernet cable? If I get an ethernet cable, will the new computer work?

I am computer illiterate! Keep it simple!

JustRalph
06-03-2011, 06:09 AM
because when the old one was installed they ran a setup disk/drivers install that allowed it to talk to the computer via the USB port

The DSL modem probably has both an ethernet port and a USB port.

If so, you can probably just stick an ethernet cable between the two and be ok, except that your DSL provider may need you to setup the DSL connection in windows. It depends on their system and your configuration in windows. Many DSL companies have made it pretty easy in that the newer versions of windows just detect the type of connection and work. Depends on whether your DSL provider needs a password etc.

This might help

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Set-up-a-DSL-or-cable-connection