PDA

View Full Version : Last Chance to Ban Horse Tripping in NV

atlasaxis
06-02-2011, 04:07 PM
http://animallawcoalition.com/animal-cruelty/article/1645

bigmack
06-02-2011, 04:17 PM
Looks like a perfect fit for Mexico. Should never be allowed here.

qIBlz2ifQNs

casterlink
06-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Afraid to even ask what that is supposed to mean.

benzer
06-02-2011, 09:31 PM
I've never seen this kind of activity at any rodeo I've been to. It's hard to believe that it is legal anywhere. Cruel and disgusting way to treat any animal.

highnote
06-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Tripping does seem cruel to the horse. I can see a spinal cord injury occuring.

Rodeo's have been banned in England since 1934 according to the website.

I grew up attending rodeos. Now that I think about it, it probably is trumatic for the young calf to be thrown to the ground in the calf ropping contest.

Of course, it's pretty cruel to kill cattle or hogs for their meat. Even if cows are humanely slaughtered for food, the moment of death probably is not pleasurable. Hogs are smarter than dogs, yet we wouldn't think of killing a dog for food, but have no problem killing a hog.

I have a friend from England who thinks it is wrong to drop lobsters into a boiling vat of water. I have seen cats dropped into boiling water in an Asian country. Is it any less bad to drop a lobster into boiling water than a cat? If not, how do you know?

We know that some horses are going to die when we race them on the racetrack and that some are going to experience trauma, yet we still race them because we know that not all horses die or experience trauma from racing.

We know that horses are going to die and experience trauma when they are tripped, but not all of them do. So why is tripping being outlawed and racing not?

Horse Racing may not be as dangerous or traumatic as tripping, but you'd be a hypocrit or ignorant to say it is not dangerous or traumatic to some horses. You can tell by watching that it is traumatic for dams and yearlings when they are separated. I'm sure that none of us would have liked to have been separated from our mothers at say, 5 years of age -- or dropped into a vat of boiling water or forced to be raced. Why is it we tolerate these things being done to other species? Why do we assume their pain is less than ours?

Not pointing fingers, but just asking the questions.

benzer
06-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Thoroughbreds racing can and does involve accidents, so does life in general for any animal or person.

For the most part people try to minimize the accidents.

If you rope a calf or a horse it does not hurt them, if a person is not careful doing so they may be injured.

Back to the tripping:

A horse is let loose in a small arena, a gang of horses and people then attack the lone horse and after chasing it in a confined area trip it at full gallop.

It is just not right. IMO

highnote
06-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Thoroughbreds racing can and does involve accidents, so does life in general for any animal or person.

For the most part people try to minimize the accidents.

If you rope a calf or a horse it does not hurt them, if a person is not careful doing so they may be injured.

Back to the tripping:

A horse is let loose in a small arena, a gang of horses and people then attack the lone horse and after chasing it in a confined area trip it at full gallop.

It is just not right. IMO

Is the intent of tripping to hurt the horse?

benzer
06-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Well it sure is not about helping the horse.

Tripping up such a big animal on purpose while running has caused how many fine horses to be put down?

TJDave
06-02-2011, 11:51 PM
Horse Racing may not be as dangerous or traumatic as tripping, but you'd be a hypocrit or ignorant to say it is not dangerous or traumatic to some horses. You can tell by watching that it is traumatic for dams and yearlings when they are separated. I'm sure that none of us would have liked to have been separated from our mothers at say, 5 years of age -- or dropped into a vat of boiling water or forced to be raced. Why is it we tolerate these things being done to other species? Why do we assume their pain is less than ours?

How do you feel about sport fishing... Specifically, catch-and-release?

highnote
06-03-2011, 12:09 AM
How do you feel about sport fishing... Specifically, catch-and-release?

I think it is cruel, but from the fishes' point of view it is probably better than being eaten. :D The worms may not be too happy about it, either.

Reminds me of a scene from the Three Stooges:

"Hey Larry. Ya goin' fishin'?"

"Yep."

"You got worms?"

"Yeah, but I'm goin' anyway."

highnote
06-03-2011, 12:13 AM
Well it sure is not about helping the horse.

Tripping up such a big animal on purpose while running has caused how many fine horses to be put down?

You can say the same thing about race horses or beef cattle. It's not about helping the animal. The only ones who benefit from horse racing and raising cattle are humans. And how many fine animals have been put down?

highnote
06-03-2011, 12:36 AM
I still don't understand the purpose of horse tripping. Is the purpose to hurt the horse or just get a good laugh at seeing the horse fall?

Also, I'm not criticising anyone for enjoying racing. I have enjoyed owning, racing and betting on horses.

I've also enjoyed eating steak.

However, I do not think the purpose of horse racing or raising beef cattle is to help the animals, but the purpose is not to hurt them, either (unless you consider killing a cow to be consumed by humans hurtful).

The purpose of racing horses and raising cattle for consumption is to help humans. Any benefit the horses or cows receive is incidental to the benefit the human derives from the animals.

benzer
06-03-2011, 12:38 AM
Great you are going to equate tripping horses with sport fishing.

benzer
06-03-2011, 12:53 AM
I still don't understand the purpose of horse tripping. Is the purpose to hurt the horse or just get a good laugh at seeing the horse fall?

Also, I'm not criticising anyone for enjoying racing. I have enjoyed owning, racing and betting on horses.

I've also enjoyed eating steak.

However, I do not think the purpose of horse racing or raising beef cattle is to help the animals, but the purpose is not to hurt them, either (unless you consider killing a cow to be consumed by humans hurtful).

The purpose of racing horses and raising cattle for consumption is to help humans. Any benefit the horses or cows receive is incidental to the benefit the human derives from the animals.
Horses are not raised for consumption here.
Were do you come up with stuff?
If I shoot a animal to eat that is what I do, if I catch a fish for food guess what, I eat it.

Tripping horses has nothing to do with either of your posts.

highnote
06-03-2011, 09:21 AM

Absolutely not equating the two.

I've asked about three times in this thread and have yet to receive an answer about horse tripping.

The answer you gave is that it is NOT to help the horse. You answered what the purpose is "NOT".

I asked what the purpose "IS".

So again, what IS the purpose of horse tripping? Is the purpose simply to see the horse fall head over heals -- simply for entertainment?

highnote
06-03-2011, 09:39 AM
Horses are not raised for consumption here.

I wrote, "The purpose of racing horses and raising cattle for consumption is to help humans."

I wrote "raising cattle for consumption". I did not write "racing horses for consumption".

"Racing horses for consumption" doesn't even make any sense.

You misread my post, but that's not surprising given that you answered the opposite of my question when I asked "What is the purpose of horse tripping?" You answered by posting what the purpose is "NOT" instead of posting what the purpose "IS".

Were do you come up with stuff?

Irrelevant question given that you misread my question.

If I shoot a animal to eat that is what I do, if I catch a fish for food guess what, I eat it.

That's good. I never implied you didn't. I said that catch and release seems cruel to me. Getting a hook through my jaw would probably be as painful to me as to a fish. But I can only speak for myself -- the fish aren't talking.

Tripping horses has nothing to do with either of your posts.

Of course it does. Assuming I am correct in suspecting horse tripping is for sport, but I don't know for sure because I never heard of it until yesterday. And also because no one has answered my question about what the purpose of horse tripping is.

Let's assume 1.) Horse tripping is for sport. 2.) Catch and release is for sport. 3.) Horse Racing is for sport. 4.) Raising beef cattle is not for sport.

All four things have at least one thing in common: They are intended primarily to benefit humans. Any benefits the animals receive are incidental.

Now I think this post should clear up what I was trying to say.

Robert Fischer
06-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Of course it does. Assuming I am correct in suspecting horse tripping is for sport, but I don't know for sure because I never heard of it until yesterday.

i'm not watching the video or looking it up on google, but I'm about 95% sure it's considered a rodeo type sport/competition.

Let's assume 1.) Horse tripping is for sport. 2.) Catch and release is for sport. 3.) Horse Racing is for sport. 4.) Raising beef cattle is not for sport.

All four things have at least one thing in common: They are intended primarily to benefit humans. Any benefits the animals receive are incidental.
this is a pretty loosely associated group.
Why do you believe Raising Beef Cattle should be made into a sport?

Seriously, you asked some thoughtful questions about our game in the earlier post. such as

"Why is it we tolerate these things being done to other species? Why do we assume their pain is less than ours?"

:ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

highnote
06-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Why do you believe Raising Beef Cattle should be made into a sport?

I wrote that Racing Beef Cattle is NOT sport, but that what is has in common with horse racing, catch and release and horse tripping is that it is done for the benefit of humans.

Any benefit to the animals is incidental.

Robert Fischer
06-03-2011, 11:08 AM
I think you may have stopped reading my post when you came to that line.

highnote
06-03-2011, 11:13 AM
I think you may have stopped reading my post when you came to that line.

I thought you were joking, but I wasn't sure. So I was just clarifying.

TJDave
06-03-2011, 11:55 AM

I'd think it would be a perfect fit, actually. Both animals suffer distress while man's only benefit is his ego. IMO, a classic example of cruelty toward animals.

magwell
06-03-2011, 12:56 PM
I dont think they would think it was so amusing if one of the cowboys had to ride the horses while the others tried tripping them.......:rolleyes:

highnote
06-03-2011, 12:58 PM
I dont think they would think it was so amusing if one of the cowboys had to ride the horses while the others tried tripping them.......:rolleyes:

The cowboy riding the horse certainly wouldn't think so!

benzer
06-04-2011, 02:24 AM
You are exactly right. This would no longer be considered a sport if a person was riding the horse that was targeted for tripping.

Scottishracefan
06-18-2011, 07:32 PM
I reckon within the next 8-10 years the whip will be banned in the Uk,or only to be used to correct a horse who might be running of a true line.