PDA

View Full Version : The Gambler Mentality: A guy buys a DRF in a stationary store

rufus999
06-02-2011, 12:23 PM
That would be me. I was picking up Tuesday's form on Monday (Memorial Day). Last one on the shelf. A guy walks in and asks me if its Monday's form.
I say "Yeah, its yours for twelve dollars." He agrees and starts fishing for his wallet. I tell him its Tuesday's DRF. I was just kidding. The guy doesn't miss a beat and begins to tell me why he needs the Monday form.
"There's an OTB near here and if I'm in the neighborhood I might stop in."
That's the gambler mentality for you... always making excuses even when none are required.

rufus:9::9::9:

thaskalos
06-02-2011, 01:35 PM
That would be me. I was picking up Tuesday's form on Monday (Memorial Day). Last one on the shelf. A guy walks in and asks me if its Monday's form.
I say "Yeah, its yours for twelve dollars." He agrees and starts fishing for his wallet. I tell him its Tuesday's DRF. I was just kidding. The guy doesn't miss a beat and begins to tell me why he needs the Monday form.
That's the gambler mentality for you... always making excuses even when none are required.

You can't really blame horseplayers for constantly making excuses; they have spent a lifetime coming up with excuses to explain the performance of their horses...mainly to themselves.

Overlay
06-02-2011, 02:06 PM
Sounds like he subscribes to "Sunny Jim" Fitzsimmons' advice: You should make a bet every day, because you might be walking around lucky and not even know it.

Robert Goren
06-02-2011, 05:25 PM
So you were willing to sell it to him at a loss.:lol:

rufus999
06-03-2011, 10:13 AM
So you were willing to sell it to him at a loss.:lol:

what?

ManeMediaMogul
06-04-2011, 03:35 PM
:lol: So you were willing to sell it to him at a loss.

:lol:

judd
06-23-2011, 06:07 AM
Sounds like he subscribes to "Sunny Jim" Fitzsimmons' advice: You should make a bet every day, because you might be walking around lucky and not even know it.
like you should play a lottery number everday ?

Overlay
06-23-2011, 06:23 AM
like you should play a lottery number everday ?
Since "Sunny Jim" Fitzsimmons (1874-1966) was a thoroughbred trainer, I think the original advice was given with horses in mind, but I suppose it would cover whatever wagering game of skill or chance might be available. :)

Shemp Howard
06-23-2011, 06:54 PM

Aren't you the guy that fell for the old Tootsie Fruitsie Ice-a-cream routine at Saratoga Springs a few years back?

elhelmete
06-23-2011, 08:42 PM
Aren't you the guy that fell for the old Tootsie Fruitsie Ice-a-cream routine at Saratoga Springs a few years back?

Sure I want to win, but I don't want the savings of a limetime wiped out in a twinkling of an eye!

Shemp Howard
06-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Sure I want to win, but I don't want the savings of a limetime wiped out in a twinkling of an eye!

Forget Sun-Up, he no a win. Your horse is Rosie 40-1.