PDA

View Full Version : Question Re Stewards School

Edward DeVere
06-01-2011, 11:28 PM
No sour grapes here, as I didn't have a bet on either race.

BUT WHEN THE HELL DID IT BECOME OKAY TO WIPE OUT A HORSE IN THE FIRST HALF OF THE RACE & GET AWAY WITH IT???

On Memorial Day, in Calder's 6th race, Capt. Zippounas took Kitchenman halfway to the PARKING LOT on the first turn, then went on to finish 3rd and was NOT disqualified.

This put me in mind of Twirling Candy's ANNIHILATION of Summer Movie early on the backstretch of the Del Mar Derby, an annihilation for which there was NO disqualification.

Can a steward, ANY steward, explain to me the justification for this? Is it really OKAY to cost an opponent all chance at a placing, as long as you do it in the first three furlongs?

v j stauffer
06-02-2011, 12:46 AM
The same rules apply at any point on the racetrack. If a horse impedes a rival that horse is subject to disqualification if in the opinion of the stewards the fouled horse was cost an opportunity at a better placing.

As a practical matter the earlier the incident happens in a race the more time a horse would have to recover and therefore you'll see less disqualifications.

However the rule applies anywhere on the track. It's certainly not uncommon to see a horse DQ'ed for drastic interference leaving the gate.

Seems like your argument here is you disagree with the film analysis. Which is most certainly your right. Not the rules in play.

Hope that helps.

lamboguy
06-02-2011, 12:56 AM
we all get taken down on questionable dq's. i got taken down today in indiana 2nd race. i thought that the guy was hitting his horse left handed and hit my horse.the stewards didn't see it that way. not that this means anything but the guy on TVG thought the exact same thing as me. we turned out to be both wrong.

the only time i ever felt that a steward blatantly stole the money was in the nicoles dream incident at the mountain. the steward was gone 3 days later. it didn't do me any good for the $10k i blew up in the show hole on that night with the take down. i wound up getting my money back with plenty of interest in the next few months following the event.

tbwinner
06-02-2011, 10:57 AM
the only time i ever felt that a steward blatantly stole the money was in the nicoles dream incident at the mountain. the steward was gone 3 days later. it didn't do me any good for the $10k i blew up in the show hole on that night with the take down. i wound up getting my money back with plenty of interest in the next few months following the event.

This is one I'll never forget (mostly because I am partners with the connections of Nicole's Dream)...unbelieveable that they did that, taking her all the way to 4th placing with over $120k on her in the show pool.

FYI, since you bring her up, Nicole's Dream first foal by Giant's Causeway is entered in the first race at AP on Saturday.