PDA

View Full Version : NHL RETURNS TO WINNIPEG

Jay Trotter
05-31-2011, 01:36 PM
I know most on this board don't give a rat's a$$ about hockey........

but for those of us "Puck Heads" passionate about the game, big news today:

THE NHL IS BACK IN WINNIPEG

THE ATLANTA THRASHERS WERE SOLD TO MANITOBA'S TRUE NORTH SPORTS AND ENTERTAINMENT
AND WILL PLAY THE 2011-12 SEASON OUT OF WINNIPEG

The Winnipeg Jets left in 1996 and became the Phoenix Coyotes due to a combination of factors including a lack of quality ownership, a low Canadian dollar and no salary cap in the NHL.

Now that all of those factors have been dealt with we are back in the big leagues! Big news in these parts.

Will the team be called the Winnipeg Jets once again or is a new name in the works -- we wait with baited breath for the announcement.

http://th395.photobucket.com/albums/pp31/xtremecanuck/th_jetslogo.gif

uzeb
05-31-2011, 01:57 PM
That's great news! I guess they'll be dusting off the picture of the Queen now.
Boston/Van should be a good final.

ceejay
05-31-2011, 02:33 PM
Congratulations!

Do you think that they will move Nashville to the Southeast division, Colorado to central and Winnipeg to the Northwest?

Jay Trotter
05-31-2011, 02:57 PM
Congratulations!

Do you think that they will move Nashville to the Southeast division, Colorado to central and Winnipeg to the Northwest?

Word is that Winnipeg will just take Atlanta's spot the first year and then a reshuffle will take place the 2nd year.

It would make the most sense for Nashville to then move into Atlanta's spot. Winnipeg would then join Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver and likely Minnesota in the Northwest Division. Detroit would very much like to move into Atlanta's spot and has the seniority but I don't see that happening.

I think it's only a matter of time before Phoenix has to move -- likely to Quebec City which would mean a 2nd shuffle.

I'm very excited to have a true Big League team to cheer for once again. I'm a big NFL fan as well and kind of pull for Minnesota but I can't say that I live and die with them.

I have a strong feeling the team will not be called the Winnipeg Jets but will instead be Manitoba something-or-other! It'll be a big topic of conversation the next few days.

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

RaceBookJoe
05-31-2011, 03:05 PM
Good for Winnepeg, i just hate when teams move...i get confused who they are. Is Colorado the old Quebec and Carolina the old Hartford or is it the other way around?? rbj

Jay Trotter
05-31-2011, 03:14 PM
Good for Winnepeg, i just hate when teams move...i get confused who they are. Is Colorado the old Quebec and Carolina the old Hartford or is it the other way around?? rbj

You would be correct Joe:

Winnipeg to Phoenix
Quebec to Colorado
Hartford to Carolina

I guess it would be safe to say that the old guard of the NHL got the last laugh when they absorbed the four WHA teams into the league. Winnipeg, Quebec and Hartford along with Edmonton were the four WHA teams that moved to the NHL when the two leagues merged. The NHL was never very happy about the merger and certainly never showed any love to those teams. Gretzky pretty much made Edmonton untouchable.

That being said though, those are three great hockey markets and I wouldn't be surprised to see Hartford back on the map soon as well.

slew101
05-31-2011, 04:14 PM
This is the second time Atlanta has lost a team. Think the NHL will realize they don't want a team?

Jay Trotter
05-31-2011, 05:17 PM
This is the second time Atlanta has lost a team. Think the NHL will realize they don't want a team?

The first team in Atlanta was the Flames from 1972-1980 after which they became the Calgary Flames.

The Atlanta Thrashers were at the low end of the spectrum with an average attendance of 13,469, probably much of it papered. The average ticket price of $43.59 was also at the lower end compared to other teams in the league.

The market was likely fairly soft with regard to television and merchandise revenue, as well.

Winnipeg can probably best be compared to a Green Bay Packers market -- small but rabid fan base. Atlanta has a metro population of 5,268,000 vs Winnipeg's 753,000. Just like Green Bay though, almost the whole population is wild about their sport.

PhantomOnTour
05-31-2011, 05:25 PM
Who was Winnipeg's big name player?....Hawerchuk?

Jay Trotter
05-31-2011, 06:17 PM
Who was Winnipeg's big name player?....Hawerchuk?
The Jets had three really big names that defined the game in Winnipeg....

Bobby Hull was the original Jet and hockey's first million dollar player.

Dale Hawerchuk was the Jets first NHL era superstar with six 100 point seasons.

Teemu Selanne was the most exciting player and set rookie records of 76 goals and 132 points that still stand today.

rastajenk
06-01-2011, 07:24 PM
I think they should be called the Legs.

Zippy Chippy
06-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Im a diehard Bruins fan! This is our year. Definitely a sign from the hockey gods right now. We are in a tornado watch! Hailing outside. I've never seen a tornado in 36 yrs.

Shemp Howard
06-01-2011, 10:18 PM
I heard they're planning to sign Bobbyh Hull and Kim Clackson to try and fill the seats.

slew101
06-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Tough beat in Game 1. Thomas comes way too far out of net. Got burned.

Im a diehard Bruins fan! This is our year. Definitely a sign from the hockey gods right now. We are in a tornado watch! Hailing outside. I've never seen a tornado in 36 yrs.

Jay Trotter
06-01-2011, 11:13 PM
I heard they're planning to sign Bobbyh Hull and Kim Clackson to try and fill the seats.

Ha, ha! Kim Clackson --- that's a blast from the past. They used to have a corner section in the arena called Clackson's Corner. Where did you pull that name out of? LOL

My son was at the Boston-Vancouver game and called me from the arena as soon as the game ended. He's bouncing around. Says it was better than the gold medal at the Olympics!

ldiatone
06-02-2011, 11:34 AM
Ha, ha! Kim Clackson --- that's a blast from the past. They used to have a corner section in the arena called Clackson's Corner. Where did you pull that name out of? LOL

My son was at the Boston-Vancouver game and called me from the arena as soon as the game ended. He's bouncing around. Says it was better than the gold medal at the Olympics!

clackson then came to the pens, and i think now still lives here in the burg.
this was a couple of years ago. what... 1 goal(saw it) 4 asst. 250pm :eek: (est). jay, do you remember the oilers/pens game when clackson and 'cement head" when at it 3 times in the same game? both when in the box and came out right away and went at it. 1st decision. Cement head
2nd clackson 3rd draw.

Cardus
06-02-2011, 02:47 PM
You would be correct Joe:

Winnipeg to Phoenix
Quebec to Colorado
Hartford to Carolina

I guess it would be safe to say that the old guard of the NHL got the last laugh when they absorbed the four WHA teams into the league. Winnipeg, Quebec and Hartford along with Edmonton were the four WHA teams that moved to the NHL when the two leagues merged. The NHL was never very happy about the merger and certainly never showed any love to those teams. Gretzky pretty much made Edmonton untouchable.

That being said though, those are three great hockey markets and I wouldn't be surprised to see Hartford back on the map soon as well.

Due to a combination of market size and split allegiances between Boston and New York, I do not see hockey returning to Hartford. The days of "mall hockey" are probably over, and is a new, NHL-quality arena likely for Connecticut? I'd say, "No."

anotherCAfan
06-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Teemu Selanne was the most exciting player and set rookie records of 76 goals and 132 points that still stand today.
I hope the Ducks are scheduled to play in Winnipeg next season. I also hope it's televised here in SoCal.

Weren't there rumors of a second Toronto team? I don't think that would happen (then again, I wouldn't know).

Shemp Howard
06-02-2011, 08:11 PM

I was at a game in Hartford and Clackson had the balls to deck both Howe boys. Needless to say he got one of dad's elbows for his trouble. I read once that he took credit for 14 bench clearing brawls in a season. Hockey when it was man's game not the Eurotrash IceCapades.

Jay Trotter
06-02-2011, 09:33 PM
Good stuff you guys.......I'm reading and smiling and my wife is wondering what the hell is so funny!

...do you remember the oilers/pens game when clackson and 'cement head" when at it 3 times in the same game? both when in the box and came out right away and went at it. 1st decision. Cement head
2nd clackson 3rd draw.

LOL I don't remember that game specifically but then there were so many fights to take in back then. Semenko is actually from Winnipeg and I played Junior hockey with his brother.

Due to a combination of market size and split allegiances between Boston and New York, I do not see hockey returning to Hartford. The days of "mall hockey" are probably over, and is a new, NHL-quality arena likely for Connecticut? I'd say, "No."

I'm not familiar enough with the New England market. I do know they had some really good teams back in the day, especially in the WHA.

I hope the Ducks are scheduled to play in Winnipeg next season. I also hope it's televised here in SoCal.

Weren't there rumors of a second Toronto team? I don't think that would happen (then again, I wouldn't know).

Winnipeg would love to have Teemu come home for a game -- he is much beloved in these parts.

After Quebec City I would say the most likely place for a team would be Southern Ontario, either a second team in Toronto or in Kitchener/Waterloo. About a quarter of Canada's population lives in this area and it is a no-brainer that a second team would be a success. I'm thinking the Leafs don't want a rival to win a cup before they do! :faint: Maple Laughs -- love 'em or hate 'em -- I hate 'em!

I was at a game in Hartford and Clackson had the balls to deck both Howe boys. Needless to say he got one of dad's elbows for his trouble. I read once that he took credit for 14 bench clearing brawls in a season. Hockey when it was man's game not the Eurotrash IceCapades.

Clackson was not very skilled that's forsure! I'll have to disagree with the "Eurotrash" comment though -- the best line I ever saw was Hedberg - Hull - Nilsson, the "Hot Line"! Today's game is a hybrid game where size, skill and speed come together. There really is no comparison to the "old days"!

On a side note, I was at the game where Dave Hanson (of Slapshot fame) got into it with Bobby Hull and pulled his toupee right off! Everyone was in shock. Hull came back in the next period with a helmut on.

anotherCAfan
06-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Winnipeg would love to have Teemu come home for a game -- he is much beloved in these parts.

After Quebec City I would say the most likely place for a team would be Southern Ontario, either a second team in Toronto or in Kitchener/Waterloo. About a quarter of Canada's population lives in this area and it is a no-brainer that a second team would be a success. I'm thinking the Leafs don't want a rival to win a cup before they do! :faint: Maple Laughs -- love 'em or hate 'em -- I hate 'em!
I would laugh at a second Ontario team winning a Cup before Toronto. I think Quebec should get the next team though -- maybe it will be Phoenix, as I cannot see Glendale, Arizona, taxpayers subsidizing the team a second time.

ElKabong
06-03-2011, 12:07 AM
Good for Winnepeg. First WHA game I saw was the Aeros vs the Jets. Bobby Hull and the Howe's on ice, all together, albeit for different teams.

The nhl lost me when the moves started happening. Minnesota to Dallas, for hockey? Atl gets a 2nd team? All nonsense.

As a card carrying AHA geek when I was 16 (don't follow the game now, haven't for yrs) I remember reading THE HOCKEY NEWS (or maybe Mark Mulvoy in SI??) about Boom Boom calling Bobby Leiter saying "Bobbie, it's the Boom. Get in shape, training camp is going to be a war".

HuggingTheRail
06-03-2011, 01:37 AM
Jay, I was listening to sports radio this morning driving to work (I live in Vancouver), and they were saying something to the effect that the Winnipeg team started selling seasons tickets yesterday, but the gist of the conversation seemed to imply they didn't sell that many?? (I was driving, so was only partially tuned in to the conversation)

Will they sell the 13,000 season tickets they are hoping/needing to sell?

Jay Trotter
06-03-2011, 08:36 AM
Jay, I was listening to sports radio this morning driving to work (I live in Vancouver), and they were saying something to the effect that the Winnipeg team started selling seasons tickets yesterday, but the gist of the conversation seemed to imply they didn't sell that many?? (I was driving, so was only partially tuned in to the conversation)

Will they sell the 13,000 season tickets they are hoping/needing to sell?

HTR,

Whoever was "gisting" on the radio is obviously ill informed if that was the slant they were giving on the story. First of all, you can follow along with the season ticket drive at DRIVE TO 13,000 (http://www.driveto13.com/) .

True North Sports and Entertainment are so organized and professional they could probably write a book and how to do this type of thing. The real ticket drive doesn't even begin until Saturday at noon local time. Right now, they are in pre-sale mode where they are offering first option to existing Manitoba Moose season ticket holders. (a right they certainly earned for supporting the AHL team owned by TSNE)

The average attendance for the Manitoba Moose was 7,520 of which I would imagine 5,000 or so was the season ticket base. During the 3 day pre-sale only existing Moose season ticket holders are eligible to purchase season tickets for the new NHL team. This is being done in stages over the three days so not everyone has even had there turn to do this. Already, 4,170 season tickets have been sold in the pre-sale. Obviously, everyone eligible is pretty much purchasing the new packages.

So, Saturday at noon local time the real ticket drive begins and it's going to be a blood bath for those on the selling end. It'll be a frenzy for sure and by the end of the day the real story will be told.

Trotter:ThmbUp:

Jay Trotter
06-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Ticket drive sits at 7,158 at the end of the pre-sale event for existing Moose season ticket holders. Tickets go on sale to the general public tomorrow at noon.

I'm guessing they'll hit the 13,000 target on Day 1.

Jay Trotter
06-04-2011, 05:41 PM
Season tickets sales hit 13,000 on Day 1 open to general public -- my daughter and I got shut out and are on the waiting list!

Wow!!!! :ThmbUp:

HuggingTheRail
06-04-2011, 06:48 PM
Season tickets sales hit 13,000 on Day 1 open to general public -- my daughter and I got shut out and are on the waiting list!

Thanks for the update/info. I read a few things after I had posted, and realized that it was a multi-phased release of season tickets.

Great to see the sale went well!

Jay Trotter
06-04-2011, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the update/info. I read a few things after I had posted, and realized that it was a multi-phased release of season tickets.

Great to see the sale went well!

Just heard on the news that tickets were sold out 17 minutes after they went on sale! Apparently, 200 people were able to que up at a time online and many, many were shut out!

Big statement about hockey in Canada, eh! :ThmbUp:

anotherCAfan
06-04-2011, 11:00 PM

Sorry that you didn't get them, but glad to see the season tickets sell out quickly. Maybe that quiets the naysayers.

woodtoo
06-05-2011, 07:18 PM
Just heard on the news that tickets were sold out 17 minutes after they went on sale! Apparently, 200 people were able to que up at a time online and many, many were shut out!

Big statement about hockey in Canada, eh! :ThmbUp:

I heard they sold out in 2 min.the remaing 15 min. was processing time
WOW :ThmbUp:

Stillriledup
06-06-2011, 03:45 AM
Congratulations to Winnipeg, i'm glad to see hockey back in the Peg, does anyone know who the Jets biggest rival was when they were in the league?

Hopefully they'll stay as the Jets.

Jay Trotter
06-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Congratulations to Winnipeg, i'm glad to see hockey back in the Peg, does anyone know who the Jets biggest rival was when they were in the league?

Hopefully they'll stay as the Jets.

The Jets biggest rival was always the Edmonton Oilers. Both teams came over with the WHA-NHL merger and were in the same division. Winnipeg had some pretty good teams over the years but were always overshadowed by Gretzky and the Oilers and usually eliminated early in the playoffs by same.

They also had a fairly mean spirited playoff series against Calgary but Edmonton was the main foe.

RaceBookJoe
06-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Not only congrats to Winnepeg for hockey, but they will also be getting more airtime as one of the featured stops on Ice Road Truckers, not a trucker fan but its an interesting show on what they do up there. rbj

Stillriledup
06-06-2011, 08:53 PM
The Jets biggest rival was always the Edmonton Oilers. Both teams came over with the WHA-NHL merger and were in the same division. Winnipeg had some pretty good teams over the years but were always overshadowed by Gretzky and the Oilers and usually eliminated early in the playoffs by same.

They also had a fairly mean spirited playoff series against Calgary but Edmonton was the main foe.

I'm sure the rivalry will continue fairly strong right where it left off. Thanks.

RaceBookJoe
06-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Just noticed that they will be called the Jets :) rbj