PDA

View Full Version : Better sell that California property now

JustRalph
05-30-2011, 10:16 PM
All those storms in the midwest are because of global warming and it's all down hill from here. I probably won't be around in "a couple of decades" so you guys that are........remember this article.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2011-05-29/global-climate-change-freak-storms-are-the-new-normal/full/#

Picture California a few decades from now, a place so hot and arid the state's trademark orange and lemon trees have been replaced with olive trees that can handle the new climate. Alternating floods and droughts have made it impossible for the reservoirs to capture enough drinking water. The picturesque Highway 1, sections of which are already periodically being washed out by storm surges and mudslides, will have to be rerouted inland, possibly through a mountain. These aren't scenes from another deadly weather thriller like The Day After Tomorrow. They're all changes that California officials believe they need to brace for within the next decade or two. And they aren't alone. Across the U.S., it's just beginning to dawn on civic leaders that they'll need to help their communities brave coming dangers brought by climate change, from disappearing islands in Chesapeake Bay to dust bowls in the Plains and horrific hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico. Yet only 14 states are even planning, let alone implementing, climate-change adaptation plans, says Terri Cruce, a climate consultant in California. The other 36 apparently are hoping for a miracle.

Much more hysteria at the link

toetoe
05-31-2011, 01:20 AM
Climate-change adaptation. :lol: That's the beauty of the whole scam --- its adaptability. :lol:

How about hunger mitigation implementation ? Fetal viability strategization ? Fiscal planning optimalization ?

toetoe
05-31-2011, 01:24 AM
When I grow up, I wanna be a climate consultant. Either that or a race consultant, telling white kids they're racists. :D Maybe a traffic consultant in Berkeley. Easy gig. Tell the citizens they're rotten to want to stay in their cars. Put in so many diverters, bumps and dead ends that they actually consider scrapping their cars ... or leaving town.

BlueShoe
05-31-2011, 03:38 PM
When I clicked on the link and saw that Newsweek was the source for this prediction I immediately relaxed and felt better. Typical leftist lunacy spread in order to increase government power and control. While civic disaster preparation is certainly prudent, gloom mongering is not. Science is unable to predict for certainty if it will rain next week, yet liberals have faith that it can tell us what the temps will be in ten or twenty years and how large the polar ice caps will be. Californias main natural disaster concern, by far, is the impact that a major eartquake would have if striking in a major population area. This threat is very real, not the nonsense that Newsweek published.

chickenhead
05-31-2011, 04:04 PM
I decided I needed to have some supplies on hand in case of an earthquake, enough food and medical eqpt, water etc to last a few days without discomfort if the big one hits. What I noticed is its a bit if a slippery slope from having a 3 day earthquake supply to full blown survival hoarding....if a year from now I say something about "my bunker", or "my stockpile of raw wheat", or post a picture of my new truck, and it looks suspiciously like something out of mad max, somebody please say something to bring me back around....

toetoe
05-31-2011, 04:47 PM
I decided I needed to have some supplies on hand in case of an earthquake, enough food and medical eqpt, water etc to last a few days without discomfort if the big one hits. What I noticed is its a bit if a slippery slope from having a 3 day earthquake supply to full blown survival hoarding....if a year from now I say something about "my bunker", or "my stockpile of raw wheat", or post a picture of my new truck, and it looks suspiciously like something out of mad max, somebody please say something to bring me back around....

Not to worry. The authorities will redistribute your stock if it gets too plentiful.

Tom
05-31-2011, 09:09 PM
What makes you think the west side will fall into the ocean when the big one hits?

sandpit
05-31-2011, 10:14 PM
What makes you think the west side will fall into the ocean when the big one hits?

Correcto-mundo. The two tetonic plates in California that are constantly grinding against each other, the Pacific and North American, are moving in opposite directions. The Pacific plate is moving basically north, while the NA plate is moving southwest, UNDER and along, the Pacific plate.

Many, many years from now, residents of LA and San Fran will have a short walk from city to city.