PDA

View Full Version : Password saver

Robert Goren
05-30-2011, 11:51 AM
I am looking for a free a password saver for Internet Explorer.

GameTheory
05-30-2011, 12:12 PM
I am looking for a free a password saver for Internet Explorer.LastPass is very nice and works with all browsers.

JustRalph
05-30-2011, 12:22 PM
LastPass is very nice and works with all browsers.

It was recently hacked.........google it. Rumor is it was completely compromised and the company is playing it down.......

cj
05-30-2011, 01:55 PM
I would never, ever, ever store passwords on a computer that is connected to the web. It can be a pain, but you can't beat the old notebook.

Dave Schwartz
05-30-2011, 02:12 PM
I would never, ever, ever store passwords on a computer that is connected to the web. It can be a pain, but you can't beat the old notebook.

Amen, brother!

Unless I wrote the program myself and it was highly encrypted, I would never use someone else's work.

Dave

GameTheory
05-30-2011, 02:18 PM
It was recently hacked.........google it. Rumor is it was completely compromised and the company is playing it down.......
They were hacked, yes, and they immediately told everyone about it and made everyone change their master password just in case. But everything is ultra-encrypted -- lastpass doesn't have access to your unencrypted data. If they do things right, and they appear to do so, hacking is not a problem (in terms of your passwords being compromised). My own machine would have to be hacked in order to access my data.

wilderness
05-30-2011, 02:56 PM

I agree 100%.

Nothing is able to navigate the air waves, open notebooks and decipher short-hand ;)

gillenr
05-30-2011, 09:18 PM
Post-it notes!

Robert Goren
06-01-2011, 12:00 PM
I decide to risk LastPass. Thanks Game Theory.
I have had my info hacked from so many sites that I have lost count. Unfortunately it the world we live in. Part of the problem is the people who do this get off too easy when they get caught. Very long jail terms would help even if they do it to a person you don't like. The person who hacked Palin's email got a year in a halfway house. Outrageous! He should haven gotten 30 in max. The head of right to life in Nebraska got pretrial diversion and community service for hacking planned parenthood. No wonder when high profile hackers get off so easy that it happens so much. Sorry for the rant, but this stuff drives me up the wall.

HUSKER55
06-01-2011, 05:35 PM
I was watching the news the other night and it seems that a huge amount of the chips and mother boards are made overseas. These manufactors were found to have installed programs and other code into the chips and mother board to make them traceable.

I have no idea how to get around that. If anyone knows, please advise.

wilderness
06-01-2011, 06:11 PM
seems that a huge amount of the chips and mother boards are made overseas.

I don't recall which version of Windoz it was, however and at one time there was a huge hype about MS installing something into their OS that woul both monitor and track the registered owner.

Considering all the software monitoring that goes on today, MS issues seem the least of our worries.

DJofSD
06-01-2011, 06:20 PM
I was watching the news the other night and it seems that a huge amount of the chips and mother boards are made overseas. These manufactors were found to have installed programs and other code into the chips and mother board to make them traceable.

I have no idea how to get around that. If anyone knows, please advise.

That was CNBC's Code Wars.

The chips alluded to are part of the communication infrastructure. If the scheme was a part of the day-in day-out PC we are all in very deep doo-doo. If you can use highly encrypted communications, that is pretty good protection.
But just remember, nothing is absolute, not even security.

Canarsie
06-01-2011, 07:33 PM

I used floppies then converted to pen drives. I do keep passwords in my browser but none that has any bit to do with financials. Your idea is smarter people would be wise to listen to it.

CBedo
06-03-2011, 06:23 PM
I have used 1Password on my macs & iphone (when I had one) for about two years, and love it. The only issue I had was sharing passwords with my Windows machines, but they have apps for Windows & Android as well.

It definitely makes it much easier to use different strong passwords for each site you need to log into.