PDA

View Full Version : Gil Scott-Heron Dead at 62

toetoe
05-30-2011, 02:24 AM
Wow, that's kinda young.

Toetoe's favorite GS-H quotation:

"If the right of free speech is truly what it's supposed to be, then anything you say is all right." Then again --- he can't say that, can he ?

Let's Roll
05-30-2011, 09:08 AM
GSH was played on a local radio station I listened to in the late 70's. I liked his music early on, until I realized most of it was Afro-Centric, anti American, anti Reagan,ect.,ect..It all turned into one sour note for me, I never cared for anything else he ever did.The United States needs less militant radicals like GSH.

Overlay
05-30-2011, 09:37 AM
Three that I heard frequently in college:
rGaRtqrlGy8
PtBy_ppG4hY
oxWiMHrrPok

JustRalph
05-30-2011, 12:12 PM
GSH was played on a local radio station I listened to in the late 70's. I liked his music early on, until I realized most of it was Afro-Centric, anti American, anti Reagan,ect.,ect..It all turned into one sour note for me, I never cared for anything else he ever did.The United States needs less militant radicals like GSH.

Then u must love Springsteen :lol: :lol:

Never heard of GSH until the news this week

Steve 'StatMan'
05-30-2011, 12:50 PM
Me either. I wondered where that quote "The Revolution will not be televized" came from.

highnote
05-30-2011, 01:27 PM
The three pieces by GSH posted here are the first ones I've ever heard.

I thought they were good. He was a good poet. The message is somewhat dated... sounding like they're from the '70s... kind of beatnik-like with the voice over percussion.

Overlay
05-30-2011, 02:02 PM
Toetoe's favorite GS-H quotation:

"If the right of free speech is truly what it's supposed to be, then anything you say is all right."
Did he ever try to shout "Theater!" in a crowded fire? (Or something like that.) :D

toetoe
05-30-2011, 10:58 PM
Never heard of GSH until the news this week

Early on, with The Last Poets, he came up with such fare as:

[Word never spoken on P.A.]'s f __ __ __.

[Word ...]'s f __ __ __, f __ __ __, f __ __ __.

[Word ...]'s f __ __ __ Mary and Jane and Sue;

And if you don't watch out,

[Word ...]'s will f __ __ __ you !!!

................. [Word]'s are scared of revolution.

Somehow, it sounded okay, and almost plausible.

Overlay
05-30-2011, 11:16 PM
For those who were around back then, an interesting trivia quiz might be to go through The Revolution Will Not Be Televised and identify the various advertising slogans (the revolution will not make you look five pounds thinner, the revolution will not give your mouth sex appeal, and so on) and other pop culture references (such as Julia) he mentioned.

toetoe
05-30-2011, 11:22 PM
Louie Anderson did a spot for Alka-Seltzer:

"I can't believe I ate the whole thing."

Another Alka-Seltzer line was used by Sweet Lou in his camp counselor days:

"Try it --- you'll like it."

Overlay
05-30-2011, 11:55 PM
Here's the web article that I saw on Gil Scott-Heron's passing:

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=649986&gt1=28102

DJofSD
05-31-2011, 08:33 PM
I grew up in south bay LA. The first time I heard "Revolution" was on KPPC and it made me think about the Watts riots a few years earlier.