PDA

View Full Version : Big Jim.....

Hanover1
05-30-2011, 12:55 AM
Has he made a believer out of you yet?

Not4Love
05-30-2011, 09:39 AM
I'm no expert. The driver looked back 21 times. This has to have some effect on the overall performance . Doesn't it?????

wilderness
05-30-2011, 10:11 AM
Hudon was just a passenger.
Until this horse is tested Hudon has no real clue of the horses ability to FIGHT.

Considering the lack of success by "most" WEG reinsmen at the Meadowlands (WEG is a different and lead tactical style), you may hardly fault Hudon for staying alert to the traffic behind him.

Hanover1
05-30-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm no expert. The driver looked back 21 times. This has to have some effect on the overall performance . Doesn't it?????

In short-no. He was just making sure he wasn't going to get caught by a late closer, while not extending the horse beyond what was needed for the win. It shows a lack of experience with a great one more than anything. Guys like Tetrick, Campbell in his prime, ect..have a much better sense of the horse they are setting behind, and the pace they are under, and once they clear, you seldom see them do this as a result.

Hanover1
05-30-2011, 10:28 AM
Hudon was just a passenger.
Until this horse is tested Hudon has no real clue of the horses ability to FIGHT.

Considering the lack of success by "most" WEG reinsmen at the Meadowlands (WEG is a different and lead tactical style), you may hardly fault Hudon for staying alert to the traffic behind him.

Hope its not one of those cases where he does it so easily that he is never really tested. Gets boring after awhile. He needs to get hooked for a crisp half and that won't happen until the boys figure exactly how much they have in the tank for the year, and that is coming in a few months. I have always felt that when he does get hooked in this manner, he will light up the teletimer.....watched him train all winter, and greatness exudes from him. He just goes different than the rest. Its not work, but just something to do for him, and he likes it. The amount of ground he covers per stride is incredible vs the others. He looks like a well oiled machine. Smooth as silk.
Some day I will post how much I like him.......

Not4Love
05-30-2011, 06:56 PM
I just watched See You AT Peelers and the driver never looked back once.

Hanover1
05-30-2011, 08:43 PM
I just watched See You AT Peelers and the driver never looked back once.

I see she is going to try the boys next out. Already set 2 records this season, and we are just getting wound up....Takter compares her to Zenyatta greatness wise. A debatable statement to be sure, but she has already gone faster than Big Jim has this season. Doubt they will ever hook up, but it would be great. Still think nobody has any idea how much he can go if pressed.

showbet
06-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Has he made a believer out of you yet?
Big Jim was second last week (June 4) at 1-10, and tonight he finished third at 1.5-10. The most important thing I've learned in 35 years of betting the horses is, when all is said and done, that price is the only thing that matters.

Hanover1
06-11-2011, 11:40 PM
Big Jim was second last week (June 4) at 1-10, and tonight he finished third at 1.5-10. The most important thing I've learned in 35 years of betting the horses is, when all is said and done, that price is the only thing that matters.

And he will continue to be a bet against with that driver.

toetoe
06-12-2011, 12:47 AM
....Takter compares her to Zenyatta greatness wise. A debatable statement to be sure ...

I'll start the debate.

She's greater than Zenyatta. Now, if she faces almost exclusively tomato cans while rarely leaving town, she will sink back into a tie. She's already raced against males I don't know how many times.

Takter shows good sportsmanship by even knowing about thoroughbreds. :ThmbUp:

outofthebox
06-12-2011, 09:56 AM
And he will continue to be a bet against with that driver.Big Jim is just not hitting on all cylinders right now, whether you like Hudon or not. Id play against him with Sears on him...

Hanover1
06-12-2011, 01:49 PM
Big Jim is just not hitting on all cylinders right now, whether you like Hudon or not. Id play against him with Sears on him...

....or he may not be close to what we have come to believe, either.

Hanover1
06-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Big Jim is just not hitting on all cylinders right now, whether you like Hudon or not. Id play against him with Sears on him...

Not hitting on all cylinders, in and of itself, is not an excuse. What is the REAL reason is the question. "Not hitting on all cylinders" is an old, canned response, to a situation where the user really has no definitive reason why a horse was beaten.....yet there is/are reasons that we have yet to define. I could talk to Friday tomorrow, and he would probably have the same answer, but thats just how Friday rolls.
Would like to find out what is needed to be "on all cylinders", and wondering why it has not been provided as yet. It may become apparent that he is overhyped and getting plain old beaten of late. I admit I was high on him as well, but we all know horses make fools out of all of us, even if some cannot admit to it.

sonnyp
06-12-2011, 02:32 PM
did he race at woodbine last nite and if so how he do ?

Hanover1
06-12-2011, 05:04 PM
did he race at woodbine last nite and if so how he do ?

Pulled on the backside, cleared easily, caught in the lane and beaten for 2nd in .50 and change....clearly just one of the bunch and rather lackluster at 1to9 odds. If he jumps up and wins this final, then a bunch of us stand corrected at this point, but until then he's not the superhorse we wanted....

Sinner369
06-12-2011, 06:03 PM
The NA Cup Eliminations proves that Big Jim is not the best........his running style will prove his undoing in the final.............!

I thought the horse that proved that he is a major contender was Big Bad John......he had the same trip as Big Jim but pulled away in the end. Final Quarter.........26.3........most impressive, considering he was parked almost to the half mile.

Anything can happen in the final when you are going for a million and a half in purse money but I don't think that Big Jim will win it.........my opinion!!!

Cam
06-13-2011, 05:23 PM
I'd love to see Big Jim and See You at Peelers race against each other. I think it would be the biggest test these two fine horses will experience in a lifetime.

See You at Peelers has yet to be challenged or extended, but that may happen soon if she squares off against Big Jim. She is, by far, arguably the best filly pacer in history.

icemantbi
06-15-2011, 03:19 PM
Up the Credit with Jamieson aboard is the best bet of the North America Cup IMO.

Hanover1
06-15-2011, 08:08 PM
Seems Friday and the owner can't catch a break of late. They have stated all along that they prefer the outside post positions, and they are on the rail this trip. I see they are gonna try the pull out earplugs this trip also. They have also publicly stated that they want to avoid the front end this trip, and the rail is usually a coveted spot for a horse who wants to leave. A few days in the paddock after the elim was ordered as well, and Friday says he's on his toes. Is it just me, or does it seem that they are scratching heads at this time, while other colts are on the improve? Friday seems to have taken a reasonable approach to all this, yet as another poster pointed out, Hudon is odd man out here, and all the boys already have secured mounts for the season, at least for now. Ronnie P would be my choice in lieu of others not available.....

Hanover1
06-18-2011, 11:34 PM
Lackluster by his 2yr old standards yet again. Its tough decision time for the owner imo....Like to hear comments from the camp. What do we hear? He's just not as sharp? If blood is/was coming back in order as they have stated, and he is sound, then serious questions arise. For my money, I'm exploring ALL options at this point. Race goes as fast as he was last year, and suffers his 3rd consecutive loss while not approaching his best mark thus far. Would prefer having an organization around this horse with experience developing and moving along division champions vs a camp with their first big horse at this juncture. Owner alluded to how much this race could mean to him as a stud. Given that mentality, the decision to make a move should not be difficult. Do what is best for the horse......