PDA

View Full Version : bob baffert

lamboguy
05-29-2011, 05:37 PM
i just watched the 3rd race at hollywood, i was quite impressed at the way he has his horses ready to run every race. that was right after he won a maiden race at churchill. the guy just does a super job and i have to rank him right with the great trainers of all time.

Stillriledup
05-29-2011, 06:00 PM
He is great, if he's not the very best trainer in the Country, he's really close.

Spalding No!
05-29-2011, 08:40 PM
Winning maidens and allowances with million dollar horses making just their 2nd and 3rd career starts at age 3 is testament to greatness?

George Vogel, John Kimmel, and Alan Goldberg are awaiting their respective coronations in personalized threads, too.

bob60566
05-29-2011, 09:13 PM
Winning maidens and allowances with million dollar horses making just their 2nd and 3rd career starts at age 3 is testament to greatness?

George Vogel, John Kimmel, and Alan Goldberg are awaiting their respective coronations in personalized threads, too.
I agree with no steroids to compete against this trainer as shown his rise to the top in last three years and this year with less runner as in the pasts??
Mac:) :)

lamboguy
05-29-2011, 09:15 PM
the price of the horse don't mean a thing, its just a matter of perception in this game. i have seen plenty of horses that have sold for less than $25,000 turn out to be champions. wesley ward bought plenty of horses for less than that this year and he is winning races all over the world.

Hanover1
05-29-2011, 09:28 PM
the price of the horse don't mean a thing, its just a matter of perception in this game. i have seen plenty of horses that have sold for less than $25,000 turn out to be champions. wesley ward bought plenty of horses for less than that this year and he is winning races all over the world.

Spot on here Lambo...stats on the harness side bear this out. My shed had a few high priced ones along the way, and historicly the ones between 30-60k were the champs. Some pony up big bucks with bloodstock in mind, and some pay out on the looks of the flesh alone, with only a cursory glance at breeding before bidding. Success after the gate folds has favored the latter by far.

Spalding No!
05-29-2011, 10:35 PM
the price of the horse don't mean a thing, its just a matter of perception in this game. i have seen plenty of horses that have sold for less than $25,000 turn out to be champions.

Yeah it does. The price usually indicates that a horse has the best bloodlines or is the fastest animal in a horses-in-training sale.

wesley ward bought plenty of horses for less than that this year and he is winning races all over the world.

He's merely exploiting distinct differences between American and European racing. How many of his horses repeat or race more than one season?

LRL Racing
05-29-2011, 11:32 PM
Having run against him many times and watching his career I can truthfully say I respect his training ability and ability to develop an athlete as second to none. His eye for a horse is also brilliant. He has taken cheap purchases and made them Champions as well as high priced yearlings and did the same. Top program to develop a professional athlete. And my trainer is number one!

sonnyp
05-30-2011, 01:23 AM
baffert's greatest accomplishment is the development of bernie schiappa. that's really making a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

horses4courses
05-30-2011, 07:21 PM
Ran a clear 1-2 for a $34.60 exacta on the turf at HOL

Has them ready to fire!

tundral
05-30-2011, 10:00 PM
Can't wait till we think of baffert like Jeff mullins.time will tell.

lamboguy
05-30-2011, 11:44 PM
in my opinion for the long run, the trainers that don't use the drugs wind up with better horses than the ones that do when the horses get older. take a look at john sherrifffs trainer of zenyatta, he is not recognized as a drug trainer and his mare got better every year she ran. when they first retired her they had second thoughts because of the way she was acting. i am sure she had her aches and pains and sherriffs dealt with the pains with time. she was a completely happy horse for her whole career. you could tell by the way she danced around before she went into the starting gate and how she held her head up so high after she won her races.