PDA

View Full Version : Mucho Macho Man

Shelby
05-28-2011, 04:51 PM
I knew he lost a shoe in LA, but I didn't know he lost a shoe in the Preakness.

Is it common to lose shoes like he does?

http://www.drf.com/news/belmont-stakes-mucho-macho-man-gets-new-shoes

edited to add link

sonnyp
05-28-2011, 05:03 PM
if he had lost the shoe from the same foot both times you might think it was his way of traveling, where he might be picking that front shoe off with a hind foot. since the loss was on different feet, unless he has especially brittle and shelly feet, i guess you got to look at the farrier.

i wonder if he got snatched or doubled up in those races ?

it's interesting to see the misuse of the term blacksmith in the article. im not trying to be picky, but blacksmiths are those that work with heat and "black"metals. those that shoe horses are farriers.

Pell Mell
05-28-2011, 05:06 PM
The first time was a shoe that was nailed on and the second was glued on.

sonnyp
05-28-2011, 05:11 PM
if they're using the glue shoes, sounds like he's got some foot issues to begin with.

toussaud
05-28-2011, 07:16 PM
sounds like he has very thin walls.

might be time to find a new farrier

xfile
05-28-2011, 07:22 PM
I lost a shoe today chasing a degenerate.

keithw84
05-28-2011, 10:18 PM
Because of his shoe trouble, should we ignore his Preakness?

Cardus
05-28-2011, 10:26 PM
I lost a shoe today chasing a degenerate.

Yet another person running away from you as you tried pitching your website?

Robert Goren
05-28-2011, 11:13 PM
I lost a shoe today chasing a degenerate. Did the onlookers have trouble telling who was who?:lol:

OFFandRUNNING10
05-29-2011, 03:03 AM
In the Louisiana he grabbed his own show coming out of the gate on the break. Ritvo actually had the show after the race in her hand. I did not hear an official report about how he lost it in the preakness. However I read Ritvo thought it was again on the break.

toussaud
05-29-2011, 12:12 PM
think he might be a grabber. if that is the case not much you can really do. big brown had the same problem

Stillriledup
05-29-2011, 07:00 PM
Maybe he needs a new trainer.

trackrat59
05-29-2011, 08:34 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/belmont-stakes-mucho-macho-man-gets-new-shoes

FYI on MMM's shoes.

toetoe
05-30-2011, 03:31 AM
... blacksmiths are those that work with heat and "black"metals. those that shoe horses are farriers.

I did not know that. Thanks for the education. :ThmbUp:

Being from Berkeley, I have reason to believe that GGF's farriers are farrier than yours.

precocity
05-30-2011, 05:39 AM
Maybe he needs a new trainer.
http://youtu.be/S9O2mppC3_s

lat time i saw him or Santavia look good... :rolleyes:

OntheRail
05-30-2011, 12:35 PM
it's interesting to see the misuse of the term blacksmith in the article. im not trying to be picky, but blacksmiths are those that work with heat and "black"metals. those that shoe horses are farriers.
Well back in the day the Blacksmith was more then likely the go to guy for shoeing horses... he had the forge and tools and the ability to make the shoe from bar stock. Just like the Barber may also be the guy who pulled teeth... I mean he did have the chair for it. But in the Modern Day of PC'ness a Farrier is the correct terminology for a Horseshoer. ;)

keithw84
05-30-2011, 02:41 PM
What does it mean to be a "grabber?"

I read the new shoes cost $500 apiece. What do shoes typically cost?

sonnyp
05-30-2011, 02:49 PM
What does it mean to be a "grabber?"

I read the new shoes cost $500 apiece. What do shoes typically cost?

a grabber is a horse that because of the way he is gaited and travels, reaches up with his hind feet and picks or grabs the shoes off his front feet.

back in the 90's a shoeing ran about $125. like everything else im sure its gone up quite a bit.

Shelby
05-30-2011, 03:15 PM
Well, I'm going to give him one more chance to quit throwing his shoes off lol.

Frankly, I was just happy to know why he ran so poorly in the Preakness.

Dahoss9698
05-30-2011, 03:21 PM
Call me skeptical, but I don't buy the excuse.

Shelby
05-30-2011, 03:23 PM
Call me skeptical, but I don't buy the excuse.

Why? Because he still did fairly well in LA?

Dahoss9698
05-30-2011, 03:35 PM
Why? Because he still did fairly well in LA?

Because it's a convenient way to excuse a really poor performance. Looks a lot better than saying "He ran terrible and I have no idea why."

cj
05-30-2011, 03:44 PM
Well, I'm going to give him one more chance to quit throwing his shoes off lol.

Frankly, I was just happy to know why he ran so poorly in the Preakness.

Horses run well while throwing shoes all the time.

Shelby
05-30-2011, 04:09 PM
Horses run well while throwing shoes all the time.

I guess I never hear about a horse that's thrown a shoe and it still wins. They never mention it.

Dahoss9698
05-30-2011, 04:11 PM
I guess I never hear about a horse that's thrown a shoe and it still wins. They never mention it.

Outside of Mucho Macho Man these last couple of months how often do you hear about a horse throwing a shoe? I can't remember the last time before this.

Shelby
05-30-2011, 04:23 PM
Outside of Mucho Macho Man these last couple of months how often do you hear about a horse throwing a shoe? I can't remember the last time before this.

I agree. That's why I thought that it made a big impact on MMM.

Dahoss9698
05-30-2011, 04:36 PM
I agree. That's why I thought that it made a big impact on MMM.

I think the point is more that horses throw shoes all the time, we just don't hear about it. Which is why I think the excuse is lame. But I guess we'll see.

Robert Fischer
05-30-2011, 04:56 PM
Dahoss makes a good point. You also have the breeding game involved, where excuses are freely used if they have any chance to protect some of that value.

Macho is OK. He's a little bit of a goof, and he also isn't really talented enough to make a move vs good horses.
He had a really interesting part of his race in the Derby where there was a portion of the deep stretch that he actually accelerated and reached a higher velocity than the others did that deep. However that was deceptive because it followed him lugging in on the wrong lead, changing to his right lead while stalling behind the leaders and then moving out late for a clear run well behind Animal Kingdom.

cj
05-30-2011, 05:01 PM

It really isn't a big deal to throw a shoe. Horses win throwing shoes regularly enough that I don't think it is much of an excuse.

Producer
05-30-2011, 10:33 PM
I think the reports about him losing weight since the derby and not looking nearly as good physically are a bigger deal than him losing a shoe. IMO, they would be better off giving this horse some time off to regroup and point for races later in the year.

nijinski
05-31-2011, 02:04 PM
I think the reports about him losing weight since the derby and not looking nearly as good physically are a bigger deal than him losing a shoe. IMO, they would be better off giving this horse some time off to regroup and point for races later in the year.

He did look thinner , and I agree a little turn out time might do him some good.

precocity
06-01-2011, 06:30 AM
Dahoss makes a good point. You also have the breeding game involved, where excuses are freely used if they have any chance to protect some of that value.

Macho is OK. He's a little bit of a goof, and he also isn't really talented enough to make a move vs good horses.
He had a really interesting part of his race in the Derby where there was a portion of the deep stretch that he actually accelerated and reached a higher velocity than the others did that deep. However that was deceptive because it followed him lugging in on the wrong lead, changing to his right lead while stalling behind the leaders and then moving out late for a clear run well behind Animal Kingdom.

good post... :ThmbUp:

lamboguy
06-01-2011, 06:44 AM
in presque isles you have horses that run without shoes every day and win races.

for the guy who wanted to know how much shoeing costs today, i spend up to $165 in new york.

when i had horses in philly park i sent them to fairhill to get shawed because the guy that i used at the track got sick and stopped working for awhile.

old man kelly (jj kelly) always taught me "no hoof no hoss"

mr kelly was probaly the best footman ever to walk this planet

Shelby
06-01-2011, 12:20 PM
A little side note I got via Twitter:

DRFDerby (http://twitter.com/#%21/DRFDerby) DRF Derby

Jockey Ramon Dominguez to replace Rajiv Maragh aboard Mucho Macho Man for #Belmont (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23Belmont)

lamboguy
06-01-2011, 04:57 PM
A little side note I got via Twitter:

DRFDerby (http://twitter.com/#%21/DRFDerby) DRF Derby

Jockey Ramon Dominguez to replace Rajiv Maragh aboard Mucho Macho Man for #Belmont (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23Belmont)
i like the new blacksmith part. thanks for the post

sonnyp
06-01-2011, 05:02 PM
i gotta agree with the earlier posts that this whole shoe thing with MMM is being way, way overblown and whether he keeps his shoes or not, he is what he is, and his performance won't be improved significantly by his footwear.

keithw84
06-01-2011, 11:10 PM
Just heard that Ramon Dominguez will be riding MMM in the Belmont instead of Rajiv Maragh. Thoughts?

cj
06-01-2011, 11:18 PM
Just heard that Ramon Dominguez will be riding MMM in the Belmont instead of Rajiv Maragh. Thoughts?

He might finish 9th instead of 10th?