PDA

View Full Version : TVG surprise

sonnyp
05-28-2011, 12:33 PM
i gave up TVG on my satallite pkg. a couple months ago. just got sick of it.

happened to land on that channel while flipping thru and it's on. either the company changed the lineup in its pkgs. or they're offering some kind of free promo for the memorial day weekend.

the thing that surprised me is that "mr. b" is on with greg wolfe. i thought mr. b had been let go. anyone know what's goin on ? did he get hired back ?

what about sibel, katulak and the others ?

Mineshaft
05-28-2011, 12:52 PM
i gave up TVG on my satallite pkg. a couple months ago. just got sick of it.

happened to land on that channel while flipping thru and it's on. either the company changed the lineup in its pkgs. or they're offering some kind of free promo for the memorial day weekend.

the thing that surprised me is that "mr. b" is on with greg wolfe. i thought mr. b had been let go. anyone know what's goin on ? did he get hired back ?

what about sibel, katulak and the others ?

Seibel and Kotulak were let go. Mr B was let go but i guess hes back.

Edward DeVere
05-28-2011, 01:42 PM
I think Mr. B is freelancing.

Shemp Howard
05-28-2011, 02:00 PM
Mr. B is back. Better than the tatoo'd girls, that's for sure.

Shelby
05-28-2011, 04:32 PM
I read on the message board at TVG that Mr. B said he is "filling in as needed".

He's a classy guy.

Grits
05-28-2011, 05:33 PM
I read on the message board at TVG that Mr. B said he is "filling in as needed".

He's a classy guy.

About this . . . one can be pleased, having always preferred Mr.B to other hosts/analysts at TVG.

Yes, one can hit mute, but I've not ever, with Mr.B on air.

Contemplating mute, currently though, as this young lady, just now, didn't know whether she was going to Woodbine or commercial break. Break won out, we did Woodbine on tape delay.

Marshall Bennett
05-28-2011, 05:33 PM
Michelle Yu is on now, needs speech lessons. Any volunteers?

xfile
05-28-2011, 05:51 PM
When they start the topless hour let me know.

Southieboy
05-28-2011, 08:03 PM
Michelle Yu is on now, needs speech lessons. Any volunteers?
According to her, Meadowlands is Medowlunds or of some elk. And besides why do they show RP and CT when they are a 20-30 minute tape.

Shemp Howard
05-28-2011, 08:34 PM
Mr. B will be back on Monday, Memorial Day.

The Hawk
05-28-2011, 09:56 PM
Isn't it against the law in some states to fire someone, and then bring them back as a freelancer (without benefits)?

Stillriledup
05-28-2011, 11:45 PM
According to her, Meadowlands is Medowlunds or of some elk. And besides why do they show RP and CT when they are a 20-30 minute tape.

Someone e mailed her recently and asked why she doesnt know how to say Meadowlands and she said "its my accent, if you dont like it, too bad"

I don't believe its her accent, its not like she doesnt know how to speak english and its not like meadowlands is a hard word to pronounce. She also mispronounces other tracks. I think if your job is to be on tv/radio commentating on horse racing, you ought to be able to pronounce the tracks properly.

Southieboy
05-29-2011, 12:21 AM
Apparently she was laughing/giggling after the 10th at BEL. The story is that the #5 horse fell flat on the grass.

toussaud
05-29-2011, 12:51 AM
Someone e mailed her recently and asked why she doesnt know how to say Meadowlands and she said "its my accent, if you dont like it, too bad"

I don't believe its her accent, its not like she doesnt know how to speak english and its not like meadowlands is a hard word to pronounce. She also mispronounces other tracks. I think if your job is to be on tv/radio commentating on horse racing, you ought to be able to pronounce the tracks properly.
......becuase of her accent

you are trying too hard man.

dude, there isn't one track in the country that is remotely hard to pronounce for anyone with a junior high education

Okay excluding yavapai downs. that not even that hard honestly

Millie Ball stays Santa Aniter every day and I don't see anyone raising a fit over that. News flash, not everyone has a perfect mid western American accent.

Stillriledup
05-29-2011, 12:53 AM

dude, there isn't one track in the country that is remotely hard to pronounce for anyone with a junior high education

Millie Ball stays Santa Aniter every day and I don't see anyone raising a fit over that. News flash, not everyone has a perfect mid western American accent.

You misunderstood. I said that Michelle said on the air that the reason she can't pronounce Meadowlands is because of her accent and she said that's why she pronounces it that way.

I agree with you, most tracks are fairly easy to pronounce, accent or not.

toetoe
05-29-2011, 01:44 AM
. . . one can be pleased ...

Yes, one can hit mute ...

Contemplating young lady ...

'Twould not favor ...

'Twould not favor ...

'Twould not favor ...

toetoe
05-29-2011, 01:51 AM
It's a perfectly acceptable pronunciation. Too bad the geek thought it was e-mailworthy, and too bad the lady's pretty skin is so thin that she responds to every little geekbeef.

She's tons yummier than Mr. Bore, and if I had a nickel for every time he said, "Oh, no question," or "Oh, absolutely," or "Oh, you got that right," I'd be Croesus. :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown: for Mr. Headacher.

statepierback
05-29-2011, 05:17 AM
Of those that left Gary and Mr.B are the ones I miss the most. Drive Time is no time for me. The show is damaged. As for Michelle I think she's enjoying Southern California and the attitudes that goes along with it. She has a pretty face to watch, still she is like most females, I rather look than listen.

Marshall Bennett
05-29-2011, 06:54 AM
Apparently she was laughing/giggling after the 10th at BEL. The story is that the #5 horse fell flat on the grass.
I heard it as well after the race. Don't know if the two are connected because she spends a lot of her time on-air giggling anyway. HRTV is so far superior to TVG with its female host/analyst, it's almost pathetic.

Canarsie
05-29-2011, 08:23 AM
Isn't it against the law in some states to fire someone, and then bring them back as a freelancer (without benefits)?

I have no info on this but my guess is their contracts expired and not renewed. Then it would be completely legal.I would expect to see this with more of them it's cheaper to pay per diem. They now use some of their behind the scenes people as hosts/analysts. Their overhead has to be way higher than any other ADW by a large margin.

I don't care for a bunch of people they have on now so the choice is not to watch. My opinion doesn't count they have meters telling them how much activity each person brings. Throw that into a spreadsheet combined with their salary and they can figure out if a persons worth keeping.

Marshall Bennett
05-29-2011, 11:10 AM
I'm not so sure any of them have contracts. This isn't a major network. It wouldn't surprise me. I know they let several go at once a while back, had they been contracted they'd have to honor those contracts.

thespaah
05-30-2011, 04:54 PM

No broadcaster should hire anyone where an accent gets in the way of the work.

Stillriledup
05-30-2011, 05:12 PM
No broadcaster should hire anyone where an accent gets in the way of the work.

Amen.

The main thing you need as a broadcaster is to be able to speak properly. If you can't speak properly, maybe you're in the wrong profession?

duncan04
05-30-2011, 05:14 PM
I heard it as well after the race. Don't know if the two are connected because she spends a lot of her time on-air giggling anyway. HRTV is so far superior to TVG with its female host/analyst, it's almost pathetic.

Really?? Zoe Cadman? No thanks! :ThmbDown:

Tom
05-30-2011, 05:15 PM
My TVG surprises today.....they are showing a CD race on tape.
So I still can't get away from Mark Johnson's irritating calls. :mad:

toussaud
05-30-2011, 05:26 PM
Amen.

The main thing you need as a broadcaster is to be able to speak properly. If you can't speak properly, maybe you're in the wrong profession?
So Michael Wrona and Trevor Denmen should be fired? I can probably even add others to that list but i won't.

Horse racing, is an international sport. International sports, have international people who have international accents.

DEAL. WITH. IT.

it's not like you are watching Thursday night TNT celtics versus the grizzles or anything and a brit keeps mispronouncing Kevin Garnetts name or something

Tom
05-30-2011, 05:33 PM
Much more USA than international the vast majority of racing.

thespaah
05-30-2011, 05:38 PM
So Michael Wrona and Trevor Denmen should be fired? I can probably even add others to that list but i won't.

Horse racing, is an international sport. International sports, have international people who have international accents.

DEAL. WITH. IT.

it's not like you are watching Thursday night TNT celtics versus the grizzles or anything and a brit keeps mispronouncing Kevin Garnetts name or something
Oh I knew this was coming.
Has anyone ever stated or implied they had a difficult time understanding either of these men? No.
Your question is just silly.
As a matter of fact those who speak the King's English are very easy to understand.
"International sports 'have' international people who have international accents".....What the hell is that supposed to mean?
So should we have to endure a race analyst from Dubai( as a regular host) with a thick accent to satisfy your level of political correctness?
Please.
TVG is NOT an international service...That's in the first place. SO on that note your point is moot.
Now look, I made an observation based in reality and fact.
And that reality is if one expects to pursue a career as a broadcaster in this country, they cannot have an accent or speech impediment that hinders their ability to communicate with the audience.

Marshall Bennett
05-30-2011, 06:30 PM
Really?? Zoe Cadman? No thanks! :ThmbDown:
She's not on that often, but yeah, she's bad.

Stillriledup
05-30-2011, 06:51 PM

DEAL. WITH. IT.

What does Trevor and Michael have to do with Michelle i cant speak properly yu?

Those guys have accents sure, but they pronounce the words correctly. They don't mispronounce words.

ronsmac
05-30-2011, 07:06 PM
Is it really getting in the way. You're taking tvg way too seriously.

PaceAdvantage
05-30-2011, 07:26 PM
Is it really getting in the way. You're taking tvg way too seriously.No kidding...

Southieboy
05-30-2011, 07:39 PM
No 11th race today from Belmont?

toetoe
05-30-2011, 11:08 PM
So Michael Wrona and Trevor Denmen should be fired?

No and yes. :D

Cardus
05-31-2011, 05:41 PM
Here's a TVG surprise:

At Ajax Downs today -- very clean racing there, by the way -- during a post parade, TVG shows a horse ridden by a jockey named "Ramon Dominguez."

The inserted picture of the jockey on the screen is none other than Ramon Dominguez.

toussaud
05-31-2011, 07:17 PM
Here's a TVG surprise:

At Ajax Downs today -- very clean racing there, by the way -- during a post parade, TVG shows a horse ridden by a jockey named "Ramon Dominguez."

The inserted picture of the jockey on the screen is none other than Ramon Dominguez.
might have been bored. it is tuesday

TVG shows ajax downs. did not know that. never watch on tuesday.

Southieboy
05-31-2011, 08:27 PM
Here's a TVG surprise:

Same thing happens when they show that dump Suffolk. They show the mid-atlantic Luis Garcia instead of the old (actual) one.

http://www.suffolkdowns.com/profiles.html