PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day

TJDave
05-28-2011, 11:47 AM
It's all about honoring those who GAVE THEIR LIVES for our nation.

Help bring it back.

http://www.usmemorialday.org/act.html#bill

Tom
05-28-2011, 03:14 PM
I was at the Memorial Day Museum yesterday, in Waterloo, NY, home of MD. Town is a buzz getting ready for the celebration.

sonnyp
05-28-2011, 04:38 PM
sadly, this is how they are treated after their sacrifice:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42995663/ns/health-health_care/

Let's Roll
05-28-2011, 06:31 PM
I picked up Laura Hillenbrand's book "Unbroken" yesterday and just finished it. It's about a WWll vet from the Pacific theater.Gives new meaning to me about the sacrifices all those heroes made.

sonnyp
05-28-2011, 06:41 PM
I picked up Laura Hillenbrand's book "Unbroken" yesterday and just finished it. It's about a WWll vet from the Pacific theater.Gives new meaning to me about the sacrifices all those heroes made.

my dad had a cedar chest when we were kids up in the attic. we three brothers would rummage through it on occasion. one day we found a beautiful golden trinket, had no idea what it was, so we played with it.

it was a purple heart he was awarded when his battleship was sunk in the pacific and he was wounded.

amazing stories...amazing sacrifices

Robert Goren
05-28-2011, 10:43 PM
At least in this part of the country, the day has become a time to remember all those relatives that we were close to and to put flowers on their graves as well as remember our veterans. I do not know when this happen but it has been that way as long as I can remember, which means it goes back to at least the early 50s. I caught flack some flack for saying that last year, but I still see nothing wrong with it. I just wish my health was such that I could visit my dad's and my grandparent's(who raised me) graves this year who are 100 miles away. Maybe next year. I am thinking about them and should count for something.

sonnyp
05-29-2011, 12:47 AM
At least in this part of the country, the day has become a time to remember all those relatives that we were close to and to put flowers on their graves as well as remember our veterans. I do not know when this happen but it has been that way as long as I can remember, which means it goes back to at least the early 50s. I caught flack some flack for saying that last year, but I still see nothing wrong with it. I just wish my health was such that I could visit my dad's and my grandparent's(who raised me) graves this year who are 100 miles away. Maybe next year. I am thinking about them and should count for something.

the fact that you remember is whats important.

benzer
05-29-2011, 01:46 AM
Robert, your thinking of them, that is what counts the most.

Dave Schwartz
05-29-2011, 02:19 AM
I met several veterans tonight - all were very much alive. Over the years I have made a practice of searching out "those with the hats" and thanking them.

Try it. I think you will be amazed at the responses you get.

Dave

benzer
05-29-2011, 02:36 AM
All the veterans still with us and those that have passed, deserve our respect and appreciation for all they have done for our country.

benzer
05-29-2011, 02:40 AM
I met several veterans tonight - all were very much alive. Over the years I have made a practice of searching out "those with the hats" and thanking them.

Try it. I think you will be amazed at the responses you get.

Dave
That is such a great thing to do Dave, I hope more people will do the same.

nijinski
05-29-2011, 08:23 AM
They are the true Heroes of our Nation .

God Bless all of our Vets today and everyday !!

cj's dad
05-29-2011, 07:37 PM
Tomorrow, wherever I am hanging out I will make it a point to ask who is a vet. When one acknowledges that he/she is I will thank that person and buy them a beer.

The least I can do.

Ocala Mike
05-29-2011, 08:17 PM
I remember the tradition of placing flowers on the graves; in fact, it used to be called Decoration Day way back when. I gave 4-1/2 years, but it counts as nothing against those who gave everything.

Ocala Mike

Grits
05-30-2011, 10:05 AM
http://www.godvine.com/Memorial-Day-Tribute-Set-to-Amazing-Grace-460.html

pandy
05-30-2011, 10:53 AM
Thanks to all who have served.

PhantomOnTour
05-30-2011, 11:06 AM
Saw a story about the D-Day invasion, and the soldiers were talking about the German bullets hitting their landing vessels before they dropped open the door to charge the beach.
Imagine that...bullets hitting the door and you are about to open it, because that's what you've got to do.

Tremendous courage fueled by love of country and freedom. I wonder if I would be as brave as those men.
Bless 'em all.

pandy
05-30-2011, 01:43 PM
My uncle Anthony stormed the beach that day, he was lucky and didn't get shot but he told me that many of his unit got shot multiple times and survived, and of course they lost many. He doesn't like to talk about it.

Marshall Bennett
05-30-2011, 04:12 PM
My uncle Anthony stormed the beach that day, he was lucky and didn't get shot but he told me that many of his unit got shot multiple times and survived, and of course they lost many. He doesn't like to talk about it.
My dad lost his only brother there. God bless our troops and thanks to all that served. You are both loved and missed.

JustRalph
05-30-2011, 05:19 PM
9E7GLdYhm3s

make sure you watch the 1080p version

PaceAdvantage
05-30-2011, 06:14 PM
Thanks for posting that Ralph.

BTW, I've made some changes making it easier to view YouTube videos right here on the site...you can now switch to full screen and change resolutions right here from PA instead of having to go to YouTube...

DJofSD
05-31-2011, 08:39 PM
http://mfile.akamai.com/5022/wma/artbell.download.akamai.com/5022/clips/03/03/031803_a_soldier.asx