PDA

View Full Version : Billy Shakespeare has to be ticked Rick Dutrow came around after his time.

andymays
05-27-2011, 07:53 AM
http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/A-good-example-for-racing-1398241.php

Excerpt:

Maybe the successful if suspicious Dutrow is being singled out, scapegoated by an industry under heat to clean up its performance-enhanced act. Even Dutrow would admit he's an inviting target. If horse racing is looking to make an example of someone to say Hey, we are doing something, he's the guy.

Does that make it right? And in the end, does it matter?

andymays
05-27-2011, 07:55 AM
For the record I've never met Dutrow and don't know a lot about him or his situation.

Saratoga_Mike
05-27-2011, 08:19 AM
http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/A-good-example-for-racing-1398241.php

Excerpt:

Maybe the successful if suspicious Dutrow is being singled out, scapegoated by an industry under heat to clean up its performance-enhanced act. Even Dutrow would admit he's an inviting target. If horse racing is looking to make an example of someone to say Hey, we are doing something, he's the guy.

Does that make it right? And in the end, does it matter?

I assume you're being sarcastic??? According to the Association of Racing Commissioners International, Rick Dutrow has at least 72 previous rulings against him for a variety of violations since 1976. (Source: Paulick Report 6/25/08)

Now he’s being accused of allegedly possessing hypodermic needles. Enough is enough, which I’m sure is your point.

andymays
05-27-2011, 09:02 AM
I assume you're being sarcastic??? According to the Association of Racing Commissioners International, Rick Dutrow has at least 72 previous rulings against him for a variety of violations since 1976. (Source: Paulick Report 6/25/08)

Now he’s being accused of allegedly possessing hypodermic needles. Enough is enough, which I’m sure is your point.

That's from the article not me.

Cardus
05-27-2011, 09:06 AM
"Billy Shakespeare"?

Awful.

Saratoga_Mike
05-27-2011, 09:21 AM
That's from the article not me.

Got it - I had just scanned the article previously. I just read it more carefully - a waste of ink, imo.

andymays
05-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Got it - I had just scanned the article previously. I just read it more carefully - a waste of ink, imo.

What I'm hoping to hear is from some people who know him and their opinion of what's going on in his case.

PhantomOnTour
05-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Ain't it ironic that the article was written by a guy named Mark Mcguire?

Saratoga_Mike
05-27-2011, 09:37 AM
What I'm hoping to hear is from some people who know him and their opinion of what's going on in his case.

His past transgressions are well publicized. What are you looking to find out?

andymays
05-27-2011, 09:46 AM
Ain't it ironic that the article was written by a guy named Mark Mcguire?
:lol:

I didn't notice that. Good one! :ThmbUp:

andymays
05-27-2011, 09:48 AM
His past transgressions are well publicized. What are you looking to find out?

I'm looking to find out exactly what I stated. If you don't know him then you can't help me. Thanks.

Saratoga_Mike
05-27-2011, 10:15 AM
I'm looking to find out exactly what I stated. If you don't know him then you can't help me. Thanks.

Right, hopefully some people who know Rick can come on and provide some insight into his 70+ past violations. I mean knowing him would definitely give one much better insight into his past violations, right? :rolleyes:

Robert Fischer
05-27-2011, 10:15 AM
The majority(if not ALL?) of his violations have come in the form of LEGAL race day medication OVERAGES.

Prior to this case his biggest (to my knowledge) was a clenbuteral overage roughly twice the legal limit. - Meaning a double dose could have been responsible.

If he's cheating it is NOT with the stuff he racked up his 70 overages with!

Give the guy a fair shake and if he has some of the PEDs like EPO or any undetectable PED that are really screwing some of the races, throw the book. If you can't do that, you have to fine/suspend/slap wrists in the context of every other trainer.

The needles could bring a several month suspension, although I do not know the standard in this situation.

andymays
05-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Right, hopefully some people who know Rick can come on and provide some insight into his 70+ past violations. I mean knowing him would definitely give one much better insight into his past violations, right? :rolleyes:

If you don't like the thread there are plenty of others.

Saratoga_Mike
05-27-2011, 10:22 AM
If you don't like the thread there are plenty of others.

No problem with the thread at all.

Saratoga_Mike
05-27-2011, 10:24 AM
The majority(if not ALL?) of his violations have come in the form of LEGAL race day medication OVERAGES.

Prior to this case his biggest (to my knowledge) was a clenbuteral overage roughly twice the legal limit. - Meaning a double dose could have been responsible.

Give the guy a fair shake and if he has some of the PEDs like EPO or any undetectable PED that are really screwing some of the races, throw the book. If you can't do that, you have to fine/suspend/slap wrists in the context of every other trainer.

The needles could bring a several month suspension, although I do not know the standard in this situation.

The "he's cheating with otherwise legal drugs" defense. Novel.

andymays
05-27-2011, 10:26 AM

Good post Robert.

I think we can all agree that he's his own worst enemy when it comes to opening his mouth but thanks for breaking the violations down. Now we're getting somewhere.

Saratoga_Mike
05-27-2011, 10:37 AM
Good post Robert.

I think we can all agree that he's his own worst enemy when it comes to opening his mouth but thanks for breaking the violations down. Now we're getting somewhere.

But Robert didn't claim to know Dutrow. If you wanted a list of his violations, I'd gladly provide that. The list was attached to a Paulick report in 2008.

Saratoga_Mike
05-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Good post Robert.

To expand on Robert's post:

“In addition to numerous violations of the drug rules pertaining to phenylbutazone, clenbuterol, and mepivacaine, there are violations concerning failure to adhere to licensing requirements, entering ineligible horses, conduct detrimental to racing involving false or misleading statements, as well as a variety of violations concerning failure to file proper documentation consistent with the rules,” he (RCI President) said.

Source: Paulick report, 2/17/11

Robert Fischer
05-27-2011, 10:48 AM
The "he's cheating with otherwise legal drugs" defense. Novel.

I think it's relevant.

Saratoga_Mike
05-27-2011, 10:50 AM
I think it's relevant.

If he had three, four or five overages of legal medications, I'd probably give him a pass, as you implicitly suggest. But he's a repeat offender on multiple grounds. If something isn't done about his ilk, the rules mean nothing.

Robert Fischer
05-27-2011, 10:52 AM
IIRC the clenbuterol double overage (which was written up in some media as a "steroid" overage), was levied a several month suspension not too long after Dutrow blabbed off about the legality of Big Brown's monthly shot of winstrol.

I don't want to start a conspiracy theory, but it was bad timing.

Saratoga_Mike
05-27-2011, 10:55 AM
IIRC the clenbuterol double overage (which was written up in some media as a "steroid" overage), was levied a several month suspension not too long after Dutrow blabbed off about the legality of Big Brown's monthly shot of winstrol.

I don't want to start a conspiracy theory, but it was bad timing.

Winstrol was perfectly legal at the time, so I wouldn't criticize Dutrow for that. I did find it amusing when Dutrow said he didn't even know what Winstrol did. What a crock of ****

Robert Fischer
05-27-2011, 11:00 AM
If he had three, four or five overages of legal medications, I'd probably give him a pass, as you implicitly suggest. But he's a repeat offender on multiple grounds. If something isn't done about his ilk, the rules mean nothing.

agreed.

just not sure scapegoat is the route to take.