newtothegame
05-27-2011, 04:43 AM
U.S. Senate

Senate Report Finds Billions in Waste on Science Foundation Studies

Published May 26, 2011

| FoxNews.com

A snippet from the story......

"
The Oklahoma Republican issued a new report Thursday that concludes the National Science Foundation has misspent $3 billion on "waste, fraud, duplication and mismanagement." It offers a list of research projects that could have been left as questions for the universe.

Among them, $2 million to analyze 38 million photos on Flickr and cross-reference them against the site's social networking service. Turns out, researchers concluded, that friends generally post photos on the internet depicting the same place at the same time.

Some other beauties: A $315,000 NSF-funded study on whether playing Facebook's FarmVille can help adults develop relationships; $80,000 to examine why the same teams always end up leading March Madness; and a $1.5 million grant for scientists to design a robot that can fold laundry -- at a rate of one towel every 25 minutes.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/05/26/senate-report-finds-billions-waste-science-foundation-studies/#ixzz1NXZAUaob

and more in the story........

HUSKER55
05-27-2011, 06:38 AM
So...you enjoy doing laundry yourself? :D

newtothegame
05-27-2011, 07:42 AM
So...you enjoy doing laundry yourself? :D

Somehow I am not envisioning a robot folding my underwear lol

mostpost
05-27-2011, 02:30 PM
Somehow I am not envisioning a robot folding my underwear lol
25 minutes to fold one set of underwear? I can fold all of mine in 24. That's twelve minutes per piece. Thank God I only have to do it once a month. :rolleyes:

mostpost
05-27-2011, 02:47 PM
U.S. Senate

Senate Report Finds Billions in Waste on Science Foundation Studies

Published May 26, 2011

| FoxNews.com

A snippet from the story......

"
The Oklahoma Republican issued a new report Thursday that concludes the National Science Foundation has misspent $3 billion on "waste, fraud, duplication and mismanagement." It offers a list of research projects that could have been left as questions for the universe.

Among them, $2 million to analyze 38 million photos on Flickr and cross-reference them against the site's social networking service. Turns out, researchers concluded, that friends generally post photos on the internet depicting the same place at the same time.

Some other beauties: A $315,000 NSF-funded study on whether playing Facebook's FarmVille can help adults develop relationships; $80,000 to examine why the same teams always end up leading March Madness; and a $1.5 million grant for scientists to design a robot that can fold laundry -- at a rate of one towel every 25 minutes.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/05/26/senate-report-finds-billions-waste-science-foundation-studies/#ixzz1NXZAUaob

and more in the story........

While Coburn acknowledges (begrudgingly) some of the good NSF has done, this story ignores that and concentrates on what seem to be worthless studies. Here is a link to some 500+ studies that Fox ignores.
http://www.nsf.gov/discoveries/

Some of the studies cited go back ten years, so the $3B in waste is out of a total expenditure of $1.47T (two tenths of 1%)

Some of the actions cited leave one saying "Who Cares".
Who cares if there was a jello wrestling night at McMurdo? Who cares if those same employees went skinny dipping in the Southern Ocean?

I have no problem with an employee going to a conference and extending his vacation a few days after the conference is over. That is as long as he picks up the tab for the extra days. And if he can fly out a few days later for the same fare the agency would have paid on his normal departure date, I see nothing wrong with the agency paying that. They would have paid it anyway.

What his article is about is maligning an agency that the know nothing Republicans hate. In their short sighted dislike of anything government, they are willing to forgo scientific advance in the name of political gain.

Tom
05-27-2011, 02:59 PM
Waste is waste.
To people who live and world in the real world, anyway.

boxcar
05-27-2011, 07:21 PM
25 minutes to fold one set of underwear? I can fold all of mine in 24. That's twelve minutes per piece. Thank God I only have to do it once a month. :rolleyes:

You only own two changes of undies? :eek: :eek: You must do lots of washes during the month -- either that or you recycle each dirty pair numerous times between washes. :p :p

Boxcar

HUSKER55
05-27-2011, 08:10 PM
hEY mostpost, are you going green? :D

riskman
05-27-2011, 08:37 PM
You only own two changes of undies? :eek: :eek: You must do lots of washes during the month -- either that or you recycle each dirty pair numerous times between washes. :p :p

Boxcar

Mosty did not mention how Depends fit in his personal care schedule.